Why is it better MT5 than MT4?? Does it have fewer limitations ??? - page 4

Another feature of MT5 that is lacking in MT4: OpenCL support

How to Install and Use OpenCL for Calculations
How to Install and Use OpenCL for Calculations
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
It has been over a year since MQL5 started providing native support for OpenCL. However not many users have seen the true value of using parallel computing in their Expert Advisors, indicators or scripts. This article serves to help you install and set up OpenCL on your computer so that you can try to use this technology in the MetaTrader 5 trading terminal.

Is it true that metaquotes will force to switch to MT5 and will take completely out to MT4? 

I've been reading about this but no official release that can make sure about this.

Anyone knows? 

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:      
  • MT4 is a 32-bit, mono-threaded platform with a 2 Gb (or 4 Gb memory limit if you use it on a 64-bit operating system, in which case a 32-bit system is emulated, which is not optimum).
MT4 is of course multi-threaded.
  • In MT5 you can backtesting robots with the closest possible conditions to the real market natively  (real tick data, real variable spreads, lag, slippage, etc). In MT4 you can't natively.

But still you can. And in mt5 you pay for precision. Backtesting in mt4 using rude history modelling can be 10x faster and even more comparing to backtesting in mt5 the same strategy if the strategy meets some simple criteria.

And there is no such a modelling quality that will help you to avoid all tester grails. It's impossible to avoid them all.

Demrum:

Is it true that metaquotes will force to switch to MT5 and will take completely out to MT4? 

I've been reading about this but no official release that can make sure about this.

Anyone knows? 

MetaQuotes announced that there will not be any further developments for MT4, and they focused totally in MT5 development. But you can still use MT4, while MT4 servers remain working. You can't download MT4 from MetaQuotes anymore, but you can still download it from your broker. Will there be a time when the MT4 servers stop working ?? I believe that sooner or later this will happen, but nobody knows when.

Thanks for your comments. Regards.

Комбинатор:
MT4 is of course multi-threaded.

Are you sure?? Why do you think so??

Комбинатор:
But still you can. And in mt5 you pay for precision. Backtesting in mt4 using rude history modelling can be 10x faster and even more comparing to backtesting in mt5 the same strategy if the strategy meets some simple criteria.

In MT4 you only can do it if you pay for a third-party software, and waste a lot of time (many many hours downloading and transforming data to MT4 format). When you want to add data later, you have to repeat this process over and over again. In MT5 it is automatic, easier, free and very much faster.

In my opinion a rude history modelling backtesting in MT4 is useless. Anyway, I don't think it is faster, and in MT5 you have also the possibility to use MQL5 Cloud Network. That does increase the speed of optimizations tremendously.

Комбинатор:

And there is no such a modelling quality that will help you to avoid all tester grails. It's impossible to avoid them all.

Sure. There is nothing perfect, but it will always be better and more reliable to do a backtest with the most similar conditions possible to the real market, than to do it with totally unreal conditions (ticks extrapolated, fixed spread, lack of lag and slippage, etc.).

Many thanks for your opinion.

Regards.

Are you sure?? Why do you think so??

Of course MT4 itself is multi-threaded. But not so well as MT5 and with less benefits for the users.

Alain Verleyen:
Of course MT4 itself is multi-threaded. But not so well as MT5 and with less benefits for the users.
Do you refer to live trading or strategy tester???. When I do an optimization in MT4 it only uses one of my processor cores.

Do you refer to live trading or strategy tester???. When I do an optimization in MT4 it only uses one of my processor cores.
Cores have little to do with threads.

I am referring to MT4 in general.

Yes with the Strategy Tester there is only 1 thread.

Alain Verleyen:

I am referring to MT4 in general.

Yes with the Strategy Tester there is only 1 thread.

That's what i referred to. Regards.
Reason: