Optimizing Strategy Tester Backtest Performance - page 2

I'm not sure. I suppose it's not doing any harm leaving it there until a moderator has taken a look.

I'm not sure what powers they have to track down the issue, but it can't hurt to try.

Jim Colton:

I think have all my values calculated one time per bar with exception of the new tick being compared to the trigger prices on tick. That is how the code was specified. Exits are by SL and TP with exception of a close all open trades function that I trigger on the 8300th minute of the week.

My question is really regarding the fact that increasing the data from one year to 15 years is making the EA back test about 200 times as slow where there is only 15 times as much data to test.

Is this because the system tester is paging through the data? I think so.

Is there a way to load the data into RAM so it gets looked at efficiently rather than by referring to slower memory sources like potentially the hard disk being referenced thousands of times?    

OK, here is my post to you again, so that we can continue from where we left off ...

Well, then something must still be wrong with the code for it to take so long!

Even for real tick data, I consider 20 min much too long for just a year's data, so 20 min on 'control points ' for only one year, I consider disastrous!

But I am forgetting something important, which is what hardware are you using? CPU? Clock-speed? Hard-disk type? OS?

honest_knave: I'm not sure. I suppose it's not doing any harm leaving it there until a moderator has taken a look. I'm not sure what powers they have to track down the issue, but it can't hurt to try.
Thanks!

Jim Colton:

My question is really regarding the fact that increasing the data from one year to 15 years is making the EA back test about 200 times as slow where there is only 15 times as much data to test.

Is this because the system tester is paging through the data? I think so.

What does Windows Resource Monitor look like mid-way through a backtest?

Have you tried running an exceptionally basic EA through the same data, to see if it shows the same disproportionate slowness? 

It's very strange. I suggest not to delete it and wait for a moderator answer. Regards.

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez: It's very strange. I suggest not to delete it and wait for a moderator answer. Regards.
It seems the moderators will not be able to track down what happened! However, I will leave it as is for now. Should it happen again, I will then ask for an intervention from the Service Desk.

I am running on laptops most of them have i3-6100U CPU running at 2.3G and 8G of RAM and 1T of HDD They were purpose bought and have never been to any website other than windows updater, ducascopy, MQL5.community, or my forex liquidity provider. I do not even check email on them and I have one computer designated for all skype and similar activity. MY OS is Windows 10 Home build 1607.

The EA does have labels on screen I need to look into removing those for a back test copy. 

Jim Colton:

The EA does have labels on screen I need to look into removing those for a back test copy. 

Rather than have a second copy for backtests, take a look at IsTesting() and IsVisualMode()

honest_knave: Rather than have a second copy for backtests, take a look at IsTesting() and IsVisualMode()
Posted my code
extern bool    Show_Comments              = true;
extern bool    Show_Objects               = true;
enum Terminal_Mode{  MODE_LIVE, MODE_VISUAL, MODE_OPTIMIZER};
Terminal_Mode  get_modus_operandi(void){
   if(!IsTesting() )          return MODE_LIVE;
   if( IsVisualMode() )       return MODE_VISUAL;
                              return MODE_OPTIMIZER;
}
int      OnInit(){
   if(get_modus_operandi() == MODE_OPTIMIZER){
                              Show_Comments  = false;
                              Show_Objects   = false;                         }
   :
}
That plus filtering ticks, and not doing per tick what can be done per bar.
Reason: