How is the back testing that can be tested by: IsTesting() implemented and controlled ?

The IsTesting() function returns TRUE if the EA can do BackTesting and FALSE if not.

But how is the capability of the EA to do BackTesting implemented and controlled?

FourX:

The IsTesting() function returns TRUE if the EA can do BackTesting and FALSE if not.

Nope . . . . I think you have mis-interpreted what this function means.

"Returns TRUE if expert runs in the testing mode, otherwise returns FALSE."

I think it tells you if the EA is currently running in the Strategy Tester . . . . or not.

RaptorUK:

"Returns TRUE if expert runs in the testing mode, otherwise returns FALSE."

I think it tells you if the EA is currently running in the Strategy Tester . . . . or not.

Translation for non-English audience :-)

"You have mis-interpreted what this function means."

"It tells you if the EA is currently running in the Strategy Tester . . . . or not."

LOL . . . I am by no means an expert, I always like to leave room to be wrong . . . and to be shown to be wrong. ;-)

RaptorUK:
LOL . . . I am by no means an expert, I always like to leave room to be wrong . . . and to be shown to be wrong. ;-)
LOL, And there was me thinking you were just being excessively polite :-)

I think there is only polite or impolite . . . I don't think one can be excessively polite ;-)

RaptorUK:
I think there is only polite or impolite . . . I don't think one can be excessively polite ;-)
I think politeness is a double not a bool, but then again I am an analog engineer not a digital one :-)

Nice on topic and in context answer :-)

RaptorUK:

"Returns TRUE if expert RUNS in the testing mode, otherwise returns FALSE."

I don't think so Raptor.

It says if it 'RUNS', meaning will it run in back testing or not? Not if it 'is running'.

So it returns TRUE IF it WILL run in the BackTesting mode.

dabbler:
I think politeness is a double not a bool, but then again I am an analog engineer not a digital one :-)

For external functions, as many do, I use a workaround of 'bi_BooleanSubstitue' with the 'bi' meaning 'Binary Integers' so that these can be switched by the Optimizer. Considering that all of the rest of these can be, I've wondered why it won't and can't switch a Bool for this purpose? I can see no reason why it shouldn't and can't as many use this work around for this effectively. Any idea if it will in MQL5?

RaptorUK:

LOL Raptor. But as they say ''I don't know' is the beginning of all knowledge'

I think that like most people here, we want to learn and find out 'what is right' in order to utilize it properly and effectively in programming. As opposed to 'who is right.' Otherwise this place would be a desert. I know my very meager MQL4 programming of 'Know/Don't Know' ratio is VERY heavily biased, lopsided and downright meager.. Ahhhh... but Egos are such challenging things for us (< 8)

I'm fairly certain that I have a very good chance of claiming 'the Slowest (and/or the most resistant) learner of MQL4 Programming 'top honors'' Though I'm not to sure that 'honor' is really the correct term for this rather dubious 'prize'. Sort of like the 'Raspberry awards'

FourX:

It says if it 'RUNS', meaning will it run in back testing or not? Not if it 'is running'.

So it returns TRUE IF it WILL run in the BackTesting mode.

People at MetaQuotes and most here don't speek English as their 1st language, they don't understand those tiny differences :-) Be creative while reading the documentation. Sorry...

(my 2 cents to politeness on a Saturday) :-)

FourX:

I don't think so Raptor.

As far as I know . . . all the documentation has been translated from the original Russian, so as paulepanke says you have to read it with that in mind.

I use IsTesting() in my EAs to determine what Error reporting methods I should or shouldn't be using, if ( IsTesting() ) I turn off error reporting via email, email isn't sent from the ST . . . I test all my EAs in the Strategy Tester extensively.

Reason: