Missing 2 Weeks Data in March 2010 - page 2

doshur wrote >>
https://forum.mql4.com/16182
https://forum.mql4.com/31357

Thank you! As I mentioned, I did search before posting but came up with nothing. Probably had something to do with the panic that I was experiencing at the time.

tbuitendyk:

Thank you! As I mentioned, I did search before posting but came up with nothing. Probably had something to do with the panic that I was experiencing at the time.

So far, those 2 threads didnt mention a solution.

I just noticed that I experience it also.

I am missing surprisingly, the same data.

I am missing EurUsd 2010 March 13 to 2010 March 24.

I am on IBFX.

Ibfx told me to reinstall MT4 because we failed even by deleting entire history folder.

Anyone solved this?

jcadong5:

So far, those 2 threads didnt mention a solution.

I just noticed that I experience it also.

I am missing surprisingly, the same data.

I am on IBFX.

Ibfx told me to reinstall MT4 because we failed even by deleting entire history folder.

Anyone solved this?

I seem to have solved it, without doing anything drastic like reinstalling MT4. Simply right-click on the chart, and click 'refresh'.

if you look in your history folder you will notice multiple sub-folders...when the price server changes, as it does from time to time, it creates a new sub-folder in your historical data folder and is intentionally oblivious to the history data present in the other sub-folders even if that data came from the same broker.

So if a broker is using two servers, for example, call them server_1 and server_2 and you are logged into server 1 and getting price data from server 1 and the history files are being retained in history folder IBFX_server_1 but for whatever reason (and there are a lot of reasons this can happen) IBFX decides you need to start getting your price data from server_2 it will automatically switch your login over to that server.

MT4 reacts to this by creating a new sub-folder in your history folder titled IBFX_server_2 and begins anew collecting price data and your charts only contain the history data from this files located in this folder. Now imagine 2 weeks go by and BFX decides again to switch you back over to server_1. Your old history files are still there (albeit 2 weeks since they last had data added to them) so MT4 switched your charts over to that history data and now you have a 2 week gap in your files.

This happens more often than people realize and the only way to rectify the creation of these data holes is to periodically go into history center and import the hst files found in those other sub-folders this creating a continuous hst file once again. If you delete your history folders you lose your history files, not a problem if you only want 4 weeks of M1 history data but if you have 3yrs of data you probably don't want to go deleting it.

When I do my periodic sweeps and hst file recombines I do go ahead and delete the sub-folders containing the hst files that I just pulled into my currently used hst file. Since MT4 automatically recreates these subfolders when the server switches it makes it easier to know if I have hst strings to reassemble...if there are no new sub-folders since my last recombine then I have nothing to worry about.

1005phillip:

if you look in your history folder you will notice multiple sub-folders...when the price server changes, as it does from time to time, it creates a new sub-folder in your historical data folder and is intentionally oblivious to the history data present in the other sub-folders even if that data came from the same broker.

So if a broker is using two servers, for example, call them server_1 and server_2 and you are logged into server 1 and getting price data from server 1 and the history files are being retained in history folder IBFX_server_1 but for whatever reason (and there are a lot of reasons this can happen) IBFX decides you need to start getting your price data from server_2 it will automatically switch your login over to that server.

MT4 reacts to this by creating a new sub-folder in your history folder titled IBFX_server_2 and begins anew collecting price data and your charts only contain the history data from this files located in this folder. Now imagine 2 weeks go by and BFX decides again to switch you back over to server_1. Your old history files are still there (albeit 2 weeks since they last had data added to them) so MT4 switched your charts over to that history data and now you have a 2 week gap in your files.

This happens more often than people realize and the only way to rectify the creation of these data holes is to periodically go into history center and import the hst files found in those other sub-folders this creating a continuous hst file once again. If you delete your history folders you lose your history files, not a problem if you only want 4 weeks of M1 history data but if you have 3yrs of data you probably don't want to go deleting it.

When I do my periodic sweeps and hst file recombines I do go ahead and delete the sub-folders containing the hst files that I just pulled into my currently used hst file. Since MT4 automatically recreates these subfolders when the server switches it makes it easier to know if I have hst strings to reassemble...if there are no new sub-folders since my last recombine then I have nothing to worry about.

Will 'reassembling' another hst file, which has duplicate information to the current data you have, cause any issue?

I am afraid of possible issues on duplications, so what I do is delete everything and download the whole thing again from the server. For IBFX, it is possible to download the maximum they can give (for example, down to 1999 or even earlier, for eur usd, on 1 Minute frame). In IBFX, this is done by using a 'standard' account, in contrast to 'mini' accounts. So far I have done it only on 'standard' 'demo' accounts, and it works. It is quite time-consuming as I download them all again, and give out to my other MT4s using 'import' (or should I just overwrite the hsts?).

If my broker does that 'shifting of servers' without knowing the possible effect on clients, and without informing the clients, then it is a reason to get frustrated with your broker. I hope that this happens on 'demo' accounts only, as it can cause the EA to give wrong signals.

jcadong5 wrote >>

Will 'reassembling' another hst file, which has duplicate information to the current data you have, cause any issue?

I am afraid of possible issues on duplications, so what I do is delete everything and download the whole thing again from the server. For IBFX, it is possible to download the maximum they can give (for example, down to 1999 or even earlier, for eur usd, on 1 Minute frame). In IBFX, this is done by using a 'standard' account, in contrast to 'mini' accounts. So far I have done it only on 'standard' 'demo' accounts, and it works. It is quite time-consuming as I download them all again, and give out to my other MT4s using 'import' (or should I just overwrite the hsts?).

If my broker does that 'shifting of servers' without knowing the possible effect on clients, and without informing the clients, then it is a reason to get frustrated with your broker. I hope that this happens on 'demo' accounts only, as it can cause the EA to give wrong signals.

Yes you can use the History Center's import features and it will intelligently merge the hst files, only using those candles in the imported hst file which do not exist in the default/primary hst. (it plugs the holes but doesn't actually try and merge with existing candles)

Regarding "downloading data"...uhm not that is NOT IBFX's data you are downloading, it is downloading the data from metaquotes server and it is (1) mostly garbage data, (2) has lots of holes and extraneous spikey data points, and (3) when you download the data it (MT4) completely wipes out your existing hst files (it is NOT merging them with your pre-existing broker data).

The reason "download" appears to only work in the standard demo accounts on IBFX is because IBFX appends the letter "m" to the financial instrument names in the mini demo accounts and when MT4 history center attempts to request a download from metaquotes server for the financial instruments with the appended "m" the metaquotes server doesn't recognize the financial instrument's name. (USDJPYm for example)

The shifting servers can happen on live accounts as well as demo accounts. If you go to your Options (cntrl + O) on the Server tab you will notice the ability to check a box under the Login account field which is titled Data Center auto configuration. Uncheck this option and you won't get your account logging into different servers...however that means when a server goes down (in which case the broker would migrate you to another server, incurring the above issues) you won't get any more price data - for trading or logging to your hst files - until that server comes back online.

I keep the option checked and just deal with the minor inconvenience of the hst files being disjointed until I re-merge them again.

tbuitendyk wrote >>

I also found hole on historical data downloaded from metaquote from March13 to March 24. What I have done to fix it is by importing the data from history folder of new terminal and merge it with the data from metaquote. I know the data from metaquote have lots of error in it, can anyone share with me how to get the more reliable historical data for more than a year (at least 2004-2010)?

Wintrader wrote >>
I also found hole on historical data downloaded from metaquote from March13 to March 24. What I have done to fix it is by importing the data from history folder of new terminal and merge it with the data from metaquote. I know the data from metaquote have lots of error in it, can anyone share with me how to get the more reliable historical data for more than a year (at least 2004-2010)?
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/124322

jcadong5:

I am on IBFX.

I'm also on IBFX with the missing week. They just sent a mail message titled "Correcting Charts." Basically they indicate if right click -> Refresh doesn't fix the problem, you should close the terminal and delete the history folder in (XP) "C:\Program Files\Interbank FX Trader 4" or (vista7) "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files\InterbankFX Trader 4"

I just tried this. Yes the missing week is back, but I also lost history for M15 from mid 2006 to Nov. 2009.

Reason: