METATRADER 4 KEEPS CRASHING MY COMPUTER

Im using metatrader 4 build 226 on WIndows Vista it keeps crashing my computer, freezing it up so I cant even open task manager, I have to hard reboot every time.
This happens mostly when doing things like resizing the metatrader window, and sometimes when trying to close metatrader or open it.
No other software has ever crashed my computer this way in 3 years of using windows Vista. MetaTrader 4 is the only one that hung my whole computer forcing me to hard reboot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I uninstalled the version I downloaded from my broker and installed the version from the metatrader website but nothing seems to help.

Don't blame MT4, it works on everyone else's machine. The problem is your machine.
Virus scan, spy ware, hardware diagnostic, reload vista. http://kimkamdo.com/

If you've managed to get 3 years out of a Microsoft Windows operating system before a crash, you should count yourself lucky. Or forgetful.

CB

SDC wrote >>

Im using metatrader 4 build 226 on WIndows Vista it keeps crashing my computer.... but nothing seems to help.

Try running MT in 'XP mode'
-BB-

I really never had vista completely hang on me before in 3 years like it does with MT4 there have been times when individual programs crashed I get the message, program has encountered a problem and will be closed then the program restarts while everything else is fine, mt4 makes my whole computer totaly crash with no windows messages, not even an entry in windows error reporting or event logs, task manager wont respond leaving me with the only option to hard reboot, I dont believe this is a virus or malware as I have a multitude of other software on my computer which I use regularly with out anything like these crash events with MT4

If you are running (testing usually) an EA that may have a problem...endless loop...or Ordersend errors...Out of money etc. The error logs can grow to gigantic and cause your 'puter to crash or stop. You will normally see an error about disk space at some time...and it won't fix itself.... unless you delete the file. This is not your most likely problem but this is about the only way I've seen MT4 crash a windows computer.

it cant be that either i havent been using an EA or any unusual indicators

It happens most often when trying to close out MT4 I think it has something to do with the history files, I learned that MT4 saves the history files on close so I deleted all the files and folders from C:\Program Files\MetaTrader4\History\ so now it cant save any history the history folder remains empty, and it quit crashing on close, but now I have no history files.

MT4 seems to work fine without history files though I havent had any for several weeks now, I guess it downloads chart history from the broker each time it needs some.

Hi. I have actually been in you shoes. The problem is not history files per se but the number of bars you set to display in any window. The maximum number of bars in history can be maxed out but the bars to be displayed in a window should be conservative. I use about 120k now and I have no issues.

Thanks ssn I'm giving that a try I set my bars at 100k, now my problem is to get MT4 to save history files again, I made a new empty folder with the same name as my brokers server like it used to be but its not creating any history files in it.

Try scrolling backwards with an open chart preferably under M1 time frame... may take a while. I usually leave the left pointing arrow depressed overnight :-)

use history center to edit/add a bogus candle with a timestamp of something like 1980 or 1970, then refresh the chart, then delete the bogus candle

Reason: