Complete MQL Newbie Manual - page 4

Thanks for the kind comments 8284. Much appreciated.

CB

I think that you will be wasting much valuable time, energy and resources 're-inventing the wheel'. First of all, what you are referring to and the purpose of your project IS the purpose of this forum for MT/MQL users and programmers of all levels of experience and already exists right here.. As mortal beings with a limited life cycle and time spans' Time IS the most important and valuable commodity of all. It's what you do or don't do with it that makes the difference. As Goethe said of modern humanity where great numbers of us are scientifically and technologically knowledgeable and aware : 'To know, but not to DO, is NOT to know' That is::perhaps you can 'talk the talk', but can you 'walk the walk'? *seeing my own reflection in this 'mirror' all to clearly*

There is already such things that you are referring to here. There is a set of (introductory) lessons for NuBs online here already. There is the MQL Book here with a link to it at the top of every page in this forum that is for NuBs that know nothing at all about (MQL) programming.. The author approaches it not from starting out with examples of complete EAs, but informs and describes what different terms are and mean and (examples) of how, why and where they are used. Thus you aren't immediately thrown into a maelstrom of terms that you don't understand and thus can not understand what is trying to be taught to one because you don't know what most of the words and terms even mean. So how could one possibly do anything but be lost and overwhelmed by such an approach and a beginning?. Aside from the fact that it would benefit greatly and be a much more accessible resource if there was a search function in it, it is quite comprehensive and a significant resource for learning MQL4 programming.

Rosh posted info on a recently published book on MQL EA programming: Expert Advisor Programming

There are numerous excellent Articles here covering virtually all aspects of programming from the most basic concepts and applications to advanced theoretical (mathematical) dissertations on (Economics and) ForEx trading and EA programming.

There is also a Documentation section here that is just what it says it is.

There is the TA section about ‘ Technical analysis ' trading that is what this type of trading is based on, as opposed to '(Market) Fundamentals' trading.

In the Code Base you will find examples of almost any and all aspects of MQL4 programming. Most of them with descriptions, explanations, examples, documentation, feedback, corrections, input and further developments on them from participants in this forum including ideas for other options and enhancements and sometimes with examples of code for these.

The Forum section that we are in here covers almost everything on and about MQL and like the rest of this site is constantly being added to and expanded and thus improves and has more depth and breadth.

I wish that some of it was in different formats, but the biggest problem that I have with MQL programming is not the lack of knowledge and information available here, but me!

Likewise when one does searches for something, often the problem is that there are so many references and results in a search that it is quite challenging to find the specifics that you are interested in and need.

As strange as it may seem, one member here posted the technique of (partially) overcoming this problem by using the Goggle search engine with ‘MQL4.Com’ tacked onto the end of it and then the specifics of what you want to know. Oddly enough often you will get better results and be able to narrow down, pinpoint and find what you are looking for and need in this site than the search engine here does. Use whatever works best and gives you the best results.

When I make postings in the forum here, quite often I will get responses such as this with numerous helpful references and links included in them.

So what do you think? Spend years duplicating what already exists here that likely is much more comprehensive than large numbers of suggestions, information, questions and revelations from NuBs that know virtually nothing about the subject? All the while that you (and many) are carrying on such an effort, this forum and web site will continue to expand and grow at a rate that will likely be a exponential rate in comparision and over a much broader and comprehensive range compared to your results with most of the entries here from numerous sources that range anywhere from NuBs like you(?) and me with basic questions up to and including people that are literally the proverbial ‘walking encyclopedias’ on this subject matter.

Taking these factors into account, which do you think will serve NuBs the best and provide them/us with much quicker and more effective results including the ‘proper’ and better ways of doing many things in programming as opposed to stumbling through it on your own and developing all sorts of bad habits that work against you and slow your progress down and even hinder rather than help you.

Take it from a NuB ‘know it all’. I don’t know much about this yet, but I do know which of these two approaches will produce much more effective and profitable results MUCH sooner.

They say that the best way to REALLY learn something is to teach it. But in such an involved and complex endeavor as we are undertaking here, one does not generally start teaching it when they know nothing about it. At the very least they need to have the broad foundations of all of the basics firmly at hand and very well understood before they start ‘teaching others' about this.

But each to their own: knock yourself out. Any and all information added to this resource benefits many. If you and other NuBs can and do have something to contribute that is not already here, then go for it, bring it on and lay it on us.

The best of luck to all of us. But quite frankly, knowledge, understanding and experience are going to make you much more likely to succeed in the ForEx market than trusting it to 'Luck'.

''Experience' comes before 'Expertise' EVEN in the dictionary!''

FourX:

"..................................................

........................................... "

''Experience' comes before 'Expertise' EVEN in the dictionary!''

Whats your point ? Was all that really necessary ?

8284:
Whats your point ? Was all that really necessary ?
You tell me. Is it relevant? If you find that it is too long, involved and multifaceted; what do you think will be involved in both learning MQL4 programming as well as compiling and making a NuBs coarse and manual to learn it from will be in comparison? What I posted about it will be miniscule in comparison to what will be involved in completing it. Do you think that it is necessary to recreate something as involved and demanding as what is being proposed that already exists here ?

Which of the two methods will help you achieve your goals here the quickest, most effectively and provide you with comprehensive understanding and knowledge with which to create effective and profitable EAs? Choose, follow and do whatever you please and whatever route you want to take to achieve your goals.

FourX:
You tell me. Is it relevant? If you find that it is too long, involved and multifaceted; what do you think will be involved in both learning MQL4 programming as well as compiling and making a NuBs coarse and manual to learn it from will be in comparison? What I posted about it will be miniscule in comparison to what will be involved in completing it. Do you think that it is necessary to recreate something as involved and demanding as what is being proposed that already exists here ?

Which of the two methods will help you achieve your goals here the quickest, most effectively and provide you with comprehensive understanding and knowledge with which to create effective and profitable EAs? Choose, follow and do whatever you please and whatever route you want to take to achieve your goals.

Look, I didn't start this thread. I saw it, made some posts, asked for help, got some, learnt a bit, learnt some more, wrote some codes (a few of which are published on this forum), learnt even more and I'm still learning. I was going through the forum systematically, looking for pieces of knowledge to pick up along the way. I saw this thread, remembered my state at the time I first posted on this thread, considered my state now and I thought to say thank you to those who share freely and helped me reach this point.

Whoever you are addressing, it is clearly not me and you can make your point a lot easier if you go straight to the point.

Its a good thing for a programmer to pay attention to detail. You should go to the beginning of the thread and try to understand what is going on before you post.

8284:

Look, I didn't start this thread. I saw it, made some posts, asked for help, got some, learnt a bit, learnt some more, wrote some codes (a few of which are published on this forum), learnt even more and I'm still learning. I was going through the forum systematically, looking for pieces of knowledge to pick up along the way. I saw this thread, remembered my state at the time I first posted on this thread, considered my state now and I thought to say thank you to those who share freely and helped me reach this point.

Whoever you are addressing, it is clearly not me and you can make your point a lot easier if you go straight to the point.

Its a good thing for a programmer to pay attention to detail. You should go to the beginning of the thread and try to understand what is going on before you post.

PS

Even the OP had moved on (after improving his skills) long before I stumbled on this thread last year.

I think it would have been a good idea to create a searchable mql4 book, with some section of it aimed at nubies, sure there are articles and documentation and code base, but you try finding what you need from all that while you are in the middle of programming a function,you can spend hours trawling through it all before it becomes apparent your looking for a needle in a haystack and the only course of action is to post a question on the forum and hopefully someone will offer to help. There is so much information in the threads in this forum much of which is highly book worthy but gets lost in the tangle of discussion and debate.

SDC:

I think it would have been a good idea to create a searchable mql4 book, with some section of it aimed at nubies, sure there are articles and documentation and code base, but you try finding what you need from all that while you are in the middle of programming a function,you can spend hours trawling through it all before it becomes apparent your looking for a needle in a haystack and the only course of action is to post a question on the forum and hopefully someone will offer to help. There is so much information in the threads in this forum much of which is highly book worthy but gets lost in the tangle of discussion and debate.

Doesn't the book already do that? https://book.mql4.com//, https://book.mql4.com/content

Basics to detail and all searchable from google... eg

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=closing+orders+mq4+book

or

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=program+types+mq4+book

(the LMGTFY is for illustration not insult!!)

V

EDIT: Hmm, wanted to add, bad example with closing orders!! In closing orders, the book is wrong and one must decrement through the order history rather than increment as the book suggests.

Viffer:

EDIT: Hmm, wanted to add, bad example with closing orders!! In closing orders, the book is wrong and one must decrement through the order history rather than increment as the book suggests.

Agreed !! Took me a while to figure why that was but once I did, I corrected all the code I had that had incrementing loops.

Look, I didn't start this thread. I saw it, made some posts, asked for help, got some, learnt a bit, learnt some more, wrote some codes (a few of which are published on this forum), learnt even more and I'm still learning. I was going through the forum systematically, looking for pieces of knowledge to pick up along the way.

You should go to the beginning of the thread and try to understand what is going on before you post.

I did start at the beginning and am very aware of what it is about. Which is exactly why I did make my posting that made numerous direct points about it and the folly of starting from scratch and making a NuB training manual when they already exist here.

I saw it, made some posts, asked for help, got some, learnt a bit, learnt some more, wrote some codes (a few of which are published on this forum), learnt even more and I'm still learning.

As do most of us. But I made the response that I did because of what the topic and reason for this thread is. What you stated immediately above is NOT what the original posting is and what it is about. So you should take your own advise about the beginning of the thread and what the purpose of it is, as it is NOT what you just stated.

Reason: