Friday evening market close time

My EA does some processing as near as possible before market close each Friday evening.

Up until now, I've programmed that to happen at 2255 CET (2155 GMT, 1655 EST). The first tick that happens after that time will trigger my Friday night processing.

This has been working absolutely fine for ages.

However, 2 weeks ago, the last tick before the weekend came from my broker at 2251 CET and obviously my processing did not happen.

So I adjusted my software to trigger after 2245 CET.

This Friday, however, the last tick came at 2217!!

I've now adjusted the software to trigger after 2215 CET.

Has anyone had the same issue? And has anyone a more elegant solution?

May be attach it is possible to attach your EA to a pair with more ticks (EURUSD for exemple) or see what's wrong with your broker : 2217 to 2300 the closing time it's a long time without receiving the change rate for classic pairs.

Jacques366:

May be attach it is possible to attach your EA to a pair with more ticks (EURUSD for exemple) or see what's wrong with your broker : 2217 to 2300 the closing time it's a long time without receiving the change rate for classic pairs.

I have the same EA running on M1 charts for both EURUSD and USDCHF (on a demo account on one instance of MetaTrader) and it happened for both!!

I also have it running in a physically separate building (in another town) on M1 charts for EURUSD and USDCHF (separate live accounts on separate MetaTrader instances but same broker) and on an M1 chart for USDJPY (demo account on another instance but same broker) and it happened the same on all of them!!

Am I permitted to mention the name of the broker company here?

Two weeks ago the daylight savings time change occurred - or was it three, I forget. Maybe the area you are in does not change - or your broker does not change? The timing you describe doesn't necessarily sound like that, but might be worth considering since the problem happened at about the same time. Also, as the market close approaches the volume slows down. So there may not be any ticks in the final minutes before close. Could be that your broker was having troubles with bank connections at the end of the week too...? Just a few suggestions - may not be relevant.

tovan:

Two weeks ago the daylight savings time change occurred - or was it three, I forget. Maybe the area you are in does not change - or your broker does not change? The timing you describe doesn't necessarily sound like that, but might be worth considering since the problem happened at about the same time. Also, as the market close approaches the volume slows down. So there may not be any ticks in the final minutes before close. Could be that your broker was having troubles with bank connections at the end of the week too...? Just a few suggestions - may not be relevant.

Thanks for the response tovan. What I can tell you, is that DST is definitely not a factor. I'm using server time and its offset from local time has remained constant. All operations happen exactly when I expect them to.

I have noticed the volume slowing down before close,but these last 2 weeks are the first I've seen where the ticks have dried up so damn early causing my EA not to trigger.

I was thinking of programmatically altering the close time by identifying the volume in real time and then closing earlier if it drops below a predefined threshold. However, I want to avoid extra complexity unless absolutely necessary as my EA is already 750 lines long, excluding comments.

Any other ideas for an elegant solution?

cloudbreaker wrote >>

Thanks for the response tovan. What I can tell you, is that DST is definitely not a factor. I'm using server time and its offset from local time has remained constant. All operations happen exactly when I expect them to.

I have noticed the volume slowing down before close,but these last 2 weeks are the first I've seen where the ticks have dried up so damn early causing my EA not to trigger.

I was thinking of programmatically altering the close time by identifying the volume in real time and then closing earlier if it drops below a predefined threshold. However, I want to avoid extra complexity unless absolutely necessary as my EA is already 750 lines long, excluding comments.

Any other ideas for an elegant solution?

Nope. You've got me. Only thing I could suggest is close out everything an hour early if that doesn't hurt your scheme. The market usually doesn't do anything too exciting in the last hour anyway. Sorry I can't provide any more clues.

My broker is IBFX. Just for fun I looked at the chart for EURUSD for the last 5 or 6 weeks and the last minute bar to appear in the worst case was 4 minutes before the top of the hour on Friday. If you're using a less traded currency pair then it might be worse. In my experience, when they experience server problems the history data typically never returns (it leaves a hole). So I suspect that they actually continued to run up until those times - no guarantees unless you're watching it though.

Good luck,

Tovan

Reason: