I'm puzzled... EAs don't work on real accounts... maybe we should change broker? - page 4

Reactor555:

I don't really understand how you can account for a possible spread widening at any time. Suppose you are testing a strategy that shows you closing profitable positions. Where is the guarantee that the spread will not increase 10 times in exactly the same market situation and nothing will be closed?

That this is an arbitrary action of brokerage companies, of this I am 100% sure. We are not talking about any liquidity reduction. How can we decrease the liquidity of dollar-yen, for example, if the American and Japanese trading session is in full swing? A decrease in dollar liquidity is nonsense.

About the news... I will probably eliminate any trading for 2 hours on important news. I look at the importance of the news on TV. If you advise me some other good resources, I would be grateful.

My strategies will be adjusted so that everything closes by 23.00. I am a day trader. Average deal duration is 1-2 hours. The number of trades will decrease, but I just do not see any other way out yet.

I will open couple more accounts with other brokerage companies. I will try to compare how someone works. For me it may be that I have chosen a wrong brokerage company.

My thanks for the tip.

There is no spread widening at any time. It only happens when there is no liquidity. It usually happens when there is strong news. Those who are afraid of trading on the news withdraw their orders and "non-towered" traders start to absorb the remaining low liquidity. As a result, the spread increases. At night, when most banks are closed and traders are asleep, the lack of liquidity can also be observed.

Vitalii Ananev:

At night, when most banks are not working and traders are asleep, there can also be a lack of liquidity.

There are many more banks and traders working at night than during the day as America and China are working... not to mention Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

Andrey Khatimlianskii:

You are a bit stuck in a fairy tale called the fixed spread. It does not exist in the market.

Build your strategies around the real market spread, this is possible in both MT4 (with add-ons) and MT5.

Can you elaborate on the MT4 add-ons? I've tried to compile my owls into MT5 and found out that many functions from MT4 are just not present in MT5. Or maybe there is some resource where I can see what functions from MT4 are replaced in MT5?

I understand that spread is different all the time. At one time I even set spread on tester to 30 for all pairs which have spread no more than 20 (for five digits). My owls are tolerating spread increase of 30%. But it is still higher at night. But I can handle it. I do not have a problem adjusting owls so that they close before midnight. I won't lose much on that.

I'm more concerned about the situation when the quotes arrive too fast and the owl does not have time to work them out. Theoretically it could be not just on the news. And the rapid arrival of ticks is not necessarily a market situation. The server may be slow... or the Internet. In three weeks this situation happened only once (but on the news), but it was enough to cause a significant loss.

Reactor555:

Can you elaborate on the MT4 add-ons? I have started to compile my owls in MT5 and found that many functions from MT4 are just not present in MT5. Or maybe there is some resource where you can see what functions from MT4 are replaced in MT5?

1. Tick Data Suite

2. Search here on the website. There is a lot of information.

Reactor555:

What worries me more is when the quotes come in too fast and the owl doesn't have time to work them out. Theoretically it could be not only on the news. And the rapid arrival of ticks is not necessarily a market situation. The server may be slow... or the Internet. Such a situation has happened only once in three weeks (though at the news), but it was enough to cause a considerable loss.

Get all the ticks through the indicator (it does not miss them), and the Expert Advisor should analyze the entire flow without missing any ticks.

Andrey Khatimlianskii:
Tick Data Suite

I've read about it. Already installing it. Thanks again for the good advice.

Played around with TDS for a while. Unfortunately, it does not give bid-ask data. It simulates situations with floating spread, and allows to set an arbitrary spread, which by the way is also very useful.

I can't understand what is Spread multiplier and Spread addition in Spread settings.

If I understood correctly, then Minimum and Maximum Spread should be set not to 1 and 2, but to 10 and 20... right?

Reactor555:
I am more concerned about the situation when the quotes arrive too fast and the owl does not have time to work them out.

There is no need to worry about that, indicators and EAs know how to work out the arrival of a new tick when the old one has not yet been calculated - new ticks will simply be ignored.

It is also recommended to do all calculations in the indicator, and in the Expert Advisor only trade functions with time delays. It is illiterate and causes a lot of problems.

Andrei:

There is no need to worry about it, indicators and experts know how to work out the arrival of a new tick when the old one has not yet been calculated - new ticks will simply be ignored.

It is also recommended to do all calculations in the indicator, and in the Expert Advisor only trade functions with time delays. It is illiterate and causes a lot of problems.

I don't really calculate anything in the owl. I only modify orders and place new ones. Sometimes there are situations when several orders need to be modified at once. In this case there are some time delays, because it takes time to modify an order.

I set a simaphore myself and new ticks are not processed if the old ones have not been processed yet.

Admittedly, I still don't fully understand what happened that day on the second situation. Having searched more thoroughly in the logs I found out that EA has sent commands to modify ticks, but all of them were rejected. Taking into account the fact that the distance between all of them was significant, I do not understand why they all were rejected. The only explanation can only be an increase in spread at the moment of news movement. So for the future I decided to just switch off trading at the time of news. And the only thing left to do is to pray that the spread will not increase for no reason at all.

Reactor555:
And all one has to do is pray that the spread will not be increased for no reason at all.

Why pray when you can go to a broker who puts the trades on the interbank?

Reactor555:

Played around with TDS for a while. Unfortunately it doesn't give bid-ask data.

No, you're the one who hasn't figured it out. It allows you to test on any user data containing bids and asks.

Reason: