Do you believe that an multicurrency EA can win ATC 2012 ?

• 15% (7)
  • 21% (10)
  • 65% (31)
Total voters: 48

My answer is Yes (and I'm suspect about that, since my EA uses all currency pairs from the 12 available ones). 

But if you do not believe in this possibility, then maybe you should visit gery18, the page of the ATC second place right now, to double check your point of view.

Still not convinced? Well, in this case I will remember you some trading terms.

The maximum allowed total volume of an open position and pending orders in one direction (either buy or sell) is 15 lots for each symbol. It means that if you have an open 15-lot Buy position, you can place a 5-lot pending Sell Limit order. But in this case you cannot place a pending Buy Limit order (since the total volume in one direction will exceed the limit) or place Sell Limit orders above 15 lots in total.

Thus, it is theoretically possible to have open positions with the total volume up to 180 lots: a 15-lot position for each of the 12 symbols (12*15=180). 

Total volume up to 180 lotes is the great advantage for multicurrency EAs. Disadvantage is that it is much more difficult to simulate and manage several pairs.

I like too much this rule, because will always encourage the use of multicurrency EAs if you want win the next events (and maybe this one). 

Though it can trade up to 180 lots for multi currency EA but you need to know that your margin is still that much for your EA to handle

so my answer if a maybe not yes

doshur:

Though it can trade up to 180 lots for multi currency EA but you need to know that your margin is still that much for your EA to handle

so my answer if a maybe not yes

doshur, thanks for sharing your point of view, but note that the margin factor will just influence the beginning of the tournament (first weeks), because saturation factor.

After that, the top single currency EAs will saturate their volume of 15 lots, limiting their growth (they have margin to growth, but rules limiting their lots), i. e., it´s easy too see that this first place EAs just will trade with volume of 15 lots.

At this moment, multicurrency EAs can continue growing up to 180 lots, with no 15 lots saturation limit (even though they reach just 30 lots at the end of championship, will be enough for multicurrency competitive advantage).

I answered yes. Still, even if my EA has built-in multicurrency capabilities, i've have disabled at the very end of submition time the other 2 additional symbols i was going to use because i was having this feeling that these 2 symbols were dragging down the stability of my program, even if with those symbols my EA was having a greater profit. I also limited the maximum position volume to the maximum order volume (5 lots). This simplyfied my EA operation and enabled me to perform an experimental analysis of the equity.

I use the ATC to test my unorthodox ideas, winning a prize unexpectedly is a most than welcome thing but my very own prize is having fun watching my robot doing the unexpected.

This time i brought a crazy one...haha, it's so fun to watch!

figurelli:

My answer is Yes (and I'm suspect about that, since my EA uses all currency pairs from the 12 available ones). 

But if you do not believe in this possibility, then maybe you should visit gery18, the page of the ATC second place right now, to double check your point of view.

Still not convinced? Well, in this case I will remember you some trading terms.

The maximum allowed total volume of an open position and pending orders in one direction (either buy or sell) is 15 lots for each symbol. It means that if you have an open 15-lot Buy position, you can place a 5-lot pending Sell Limit order. But in this case you cannot place a pending Buy Limit order (since the total volume in one direction will exceed the limit) or place Sell Limit orders above 15 lots in total.

Thus, it is theoretically possible to have open positions with the total volume up to 180 lots: a 15-lot position for each of the 12 symbols (12*15=180). 

Total volume up to 180 lotes is the great advantage for multicurrency EAs. Disadvantage is that it is much more difficult to simulate and manage several pairs.

I like too much this rule, because will always encourage the use of multicurrency EAs if you want win the next events (and maybe this one). 

figurelli,

On contrary, I dislike too much this rule exactly because will always encourage  the use of multicurrency EAs.

The use of multicurrency EA's is only justiflied if you are using some multivariate analisys against several symbols, or if you are trying to minimize the risk by building a portfolio, otherwise, it would be better to just run your one-currency EA in multiple charts attached to diferent symbols.

I bet with you that most multicurrency EAs in the championship are there to workaround the limitation of the order size, which is an  artificial limitation, and I don't like it.

But don't misunderstand me. I do believe the multicurrency EAs are better than one-currency EA for the reasons above, but the decision to choose one or another type of EA should not be based on this artificial limitation. 

Jin:

figurelli,

On contrary, I dislike too much this rule exactly because will always encourage  the use of multicurrency EAs.

The use of multicurrency EA's is only justiflied if you are using some multivariate analisys against several symbols, or if you are trying to minimize the risk by building a portfolio, otherwise, it would be better to just run your one-currency EA in multiple charts attached to diferent symbols.

I bet with you that most multicurrency EAs in the championship are there to workaround the limitation of the order size, which is an  artificial limitation, and I don't like it.

But don't misunderstand me. I do believe the multicurrency EAs are better than one-currency EA for the reasons above, but the decision to choose one or another type of EA should not be based on this artificial limitation. 

Championship factors aside, in the practice I dont see difference between using one single different EA for each currency pair and using the same trading systems of those differents EAs in one unique multicurrency EA (that should have a huge code).

Jin:

figurelli,

Jin, very interesting your point of view.

I believe that if you just take into account the factor of competitiveness in the championship, this factor would not be fair.

Moreover, oldest championship was always with the total volume limit of 15 lots.

But I think that regarding just validation and testing of the MetaTrader technology, especially with the opening of simulation capability with multiple pairs, the rule will help improve the system for all final users.

Icarus:
Championship factors aside, in the practice I dont see difference between using one single different EA for each currency pair and using the same trading systems of those differents EAs in one unique multicurrency EA (that should have a huge code).

Icarus,

That's exatly my point.
If a multicurrency EA is not taking advantage of the multivariate correlations between the symbols, there's not point to create this kind of EA (aside Championship fators). 
As you said, running a same single currency EA on different symbol charts, in parallel, would have the same results, with much less lines of code.

Thanks for you comment. 

If we can find a "holy grail", I dunno we will, but the one of the definition shall be "not for specific symbol".

In the other words, yes for multi-symbols, cuz the rule is good for 'em, I mean IF.

And if there is the intention of creator of MT5 as their right and the way it will go,

then they gonna put more symbols next year, such like commodities and stocks.

The problem is they are too small market to see the "demo" result.  

i was having this feeling that these 2 symbols were dragging down the stability of my program

I guess i was right, i was going to use GBPUSD and see what happened:

GBPUSD occupies the second place having 7% of all unprofitable deals for the first week. This pair was loss-making for most participants.

Quote taken from: https://championship.mql5.com/2012/en/news/169

The other pair i was going to use was AUDUSD, but this one was aiding in the right direction just a little bit. My backtesting agree with the statistics.

Althought everything can change in the next morning.

Championship's First Week Minutes - Automated Trading Championship 2012
  • championship.mql5.com
Let us provide you with brief statistics on the first week of the Automated Trading Championship 2012. Numeric data is presented in a convenient visual form. You will find the number of deals at all currency pairs and trading results for each of them. Each report will take just a few minutes to read it over.
Reason: