New to MT4. Need help on some basic issues

I come from another trading environment and I am new to MT4.  There are a few things that are not clear to me. So any help would be appreciated.

I have installed an EA and it is running on VPS.

What I see on the trade tab of the terminal is what it is actually happening on my account? Or other things I see on my terminal and other things happen on the Virtual terminal?

On the same tab I see a list of orders. How can I know if these are pending or open orders?

Can I cancel open orders from my terminal?

How do I stop the EA from running and what happens to pending or open orders in such case?

Thx

Maybe you should start to read the User Guide.

Hi:   The user guide is a good place to start, also the training videos -- there are a million of them on YouTube.  When on YouTube just don't believe all the things you hear about making a million dollars.  Besides that I presume you are using a Demo account and you can place the various orders stops, target prices etc as you work your way through the users guide and videos.  Check out all the free indicators and EAs from Market and code share, but remember they will all lose money for your until you learn to handle MT4 correctly with a trading plan for forex.  Ask lots of questions. Join the forums and read everything.  Do not spend money on EAs and Indicators you don't understand.

Michael Maggi:
Hi:   The user guide is a good place to start, also the training videos -- there are a million of them on YouTube.  When on YouTube just don't believe all the things you hear about making a million dollars.  Besides that I presume you are using a Demo account and you can place the various orders stops, target prices etc as you work your way through the users guide and videos.  Check out all the free indicators and EAs from Market and code share, but remember they will all lose money for your until you learn to handle MT4 correctly with a trading plan for forex.  Ask lots of questions. Join the forums and read everything.  Do not spend money on EAs and Indicators you don't understand.

Thx Michael.  This is what I am trying to do. And I think the forum is a good way to find out things in a quick way.

You see when using a Broker's platform there is actual support. You have an issue and you chat live or send an e-mail and you issue is resolved quickly.  In MT4 thee is no such support.

Alain Verleyen:
Maybe you should start to read the User Guide.

Thx for the advice Alain.  The user guide does not provide info on the above questions (or maybe i missed them which I don't think so).

On the other hand for a "computer scientist and professional programmer" or simply an experienced user, it is a matter of seconds to reply to this questions. I am an inexperienced user and I am trying to find out the basics and untill now I have not found a way to get real support from MetaQuotes.

The things you see on your terminal tab it is what is happening in account to know if the order is pending or open order simply read the "Type" if you see sell or buy it means is an opened order if you see sell limit, buy limit, sell stop, buy stop (these are MT4 orders) it means pending order you can not "cancel" open orders you can close them and the last question if the code of your ea do not have a function to close pending orders once disabled from chart pending orders will be there. I hope i clarified some of your questions if you have more questions all that you might want know are in User Guide (click on link of Alain Verleyen post).

John:

Thx for the advice Alain.  The user guide does not provide info on the above questions (or maybe i missed them which I don't think so).

On the other hand for a "computer scientist and professional programmer" or simply an experienced user, it is a matter of seconds to reply to this questions. I am an inexperienced user and I am trying to find out the basics and untill now I have not found a way to get real support from MetaQuotes.

1. The link I gave you provided all the answers to your questions.
  2. Why should I have to answer you in the details ? I am not Metaquotes.
  3. How do you know it takes "seconds" to reply to your questions ?
  4. Metaquotes support is here.

Alain Verleyen:
  1. The link I gave you provided all the answers to your questions.
  2. Why should I have to answer you in the details ? I am not Metaquotes.
  3. How do you know it takes "seconds" to reply to your questions ?
  4. Metaquotes support is here.

No it does not provide any answers. It just gives info on the very basic functions of the platform. You don't have to provide any answers no matter how simple the question might be and I did not suggest that. This depends on the individual. My questions are quite simple and basic so I suppose it takes seconds to answer.  I might be wrong.. we will see. After all I am neither computer scientist nor professional programmer.

The link you provided is the Service desk.  They have many categories for queries there but none is fitting on the simple questions that I have. Check it!

However, if I don't get any help from elsewhere, I will have to contact them.

Thx for your time!

John:

No it does not provide any answers. It just gives info on the very basic functions of the platform. You don't have to provide any answers no matter how simple the question might be and I did not suggest that. This depends on the individual. My questions are quite simple and basic so I suppose it takes seconds to answer.  I might be wrong.. we will see. After all I am neither computer scientist nor professional programmer.

The link you provided is the Service desk.  They have many categories for queries there but none is fitting on the simple questions that I have. Check it!

However, if I don't get any help from elsewhere, I will have to contact them.

Thx for your time!

Are you really thinking I don't know what is the content of the links I provide ?

• The first link I provided you can lead to all answers, if you do some efforts to find them.
  • The second link I provided you is NOT the Service Desk. Anyway they will not answer to such trivial questions.

Alain Verleyen:

Are you really thinking I don't know what is the content of the links I provide ?

• The first link I provided you can lead to all answers, if you do some efforts to find them.
  • The second link I provided you is NOT the Service Desk. Anyway they will not answer to such trivial questions.

For one more time Alain I'd like to thank you for the time you devoted on my issues.

If the link you provided leads to any answers, it is for the one who will check it to see if you are right or wrong.  For other newcomers to MT4, my suggestion is not to waste their time, since it does not.  It provides other usufull info, but not what I was looking for.

As for the second link.. one click is enough.  It is the Service desk in a different form. Exactly the same thing.

As for to if the questions are trivial... well .. no comment to that. It is beyond comment.

As to if Service desk will answer.  Well.... here is what they said: (by the way to do the copy paste I clicked on the Service desk link)

"

Support Team 2016.03.23 15:27

Hello,

What I see on the trade tab of the terminal is what it is actually happening on my account?

Yes, information on Trade tab is the same on all terminals connected to the same account.

On the same tab I see a list of orders. How can I know if these are pending or open orders?

Pending orders listed below Balance record.

Can I cancel open orders from my terminal while running on VPS?

Technically you can, but we don't know how it would affect on EA running on VPS.

How do I stop the EA from running and what happens to pending or open orders in such case?

If we are talking about third-party VPS - connect to your VPS and stop your EA.

"

They did bother to answer my "trivial" questions. One by one. Under my original text there is the answer.  And they responded almost immediatly.

After all, it was a matter of a few seconds to answer as long as one is familiar with the platform.

So here are the answers for any other new user that migh have the same questions.

------------------

Beyond the slightly ironic and confrontational note of our discussion, and beyond our discussion itself, I have noticed you are from Belgium and I d like to express my support to all the people of Belgium these hard times.  Keep you head up and spirits high and piss on terror like the Manneken Pis.

John:

Good for you.

Reason: