MT4 End Of Life

Hi all

I have heard reports that MT4 is soon to become 'End of Life' with no active support or updates.

Can anyone explain what the future holds for MT4 and the vast array of millions of ex4 Indicators, Scripts and EA's? Any plans to provide a port or emulator for these to help transition over to MT5?

See translated comments below: https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/447913/page5#comment_47264936

"MetaTrader 4 has not been sold to brokers for several years and is gradually disappearing from the scene. We cannot force you to refuse. But most likely we will announce its End of Life this fall, so that the management level will understand that it is unreasonable to sit on a stopped platform that is 18 years old.

https://www.mql5.com/ru/forum/447913/page6#comment_47273082

"End of active support and updates."

Новая версия платформы MetaTrader 5 build 3800: ордера Book or Cancel, помощь AI при написании кода и расширенная поддержка ONNX - Вам нужно определиться с целевой аудиторией.
Новая версия платформы MetaTrader 5 build 3800: ордера Book or Cancel, помощь AI при написании кода и расширенная поддержка ONNX - Вам нужно определиться с целевой аудиторией.
  • www.mql5.com
Для трейдеров все эти нейросети и грани фантастики - пустой звук. Кто из трейдеров в здравом рассудке будет управлять своими активами с помощью системы, которая в один прекрасный момент попытается обновиться

It is my opinion (an opinion) that on 2024 they will just shutdown the mt4 market , signals , articles and source code sections from the site , maybe even the forum section.

As far as compatibility goes , it's up to the sellers , there may be provisions with a "coupons" style system where you can hand a user a unique coupon for a sold product (im talking about a general idea not something specific here) but usually the approach is "it is this way now , your problem"

And as always , to be fair , transitioning fully to MT5 is beneficial for everyone .It is better + more capable with more provisions (and if they fix their calendar then it will be 100) 

I have wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to convert basic mq4 files to mq5 without success. There really is nothing beneficial in the transition to MT5. 

I would guess the hundreds of thousands of satisfied MT4 users will agree, specifically those who have accumulated many custom indicators, script and EA's that have worked flawlessly for years.

Do we have anything formal regarding MT4?

narco #:

I have wasted a lot of time, money and effort trying to convert basic mq4 files to mq5 without success.  There really is nothing beneficial in the transition to MT5.  

I would guess the hundreds of thousands of satisfied MT4 users will agree, specifically those who have accumulated many custom indicators, script and EA's that have worked flawlessly for years.

Do we have anything formal regarding MT4?

You have already quoted the words of MetaQuotes' CEO. I would say that is already sufficiently "formal".

The writing is on the wall — time to start learning MQL5 seriously and migrating your code.

Fernando Carreiro #:

You have already quoted the words of MetaQuotes' CEO. I would say that is already sufficiently "formal".

The writing is on the wall — time to start learning MQL5 seriously and migrating your code.

I mean formal as in a formal communication to MT4 users with a detailed overview of the plan, timeline and process.

Surely users will not be expected to follow sub sections of this forum to translate Russian language to get such news..

narco #: I mean formal as in a formal communication to MT4 users with a detailed overview of the plan, timeline and process. Surely users will not be expected to follow sub sections of this forum to translate Russian language to get such news..

MetaQuotes often follows an unorthodox method of doing things and official announcements are sometimes late or on the hour.

If you are waiting for an "official" notice, then it might already be too late for you. Anticipate the "move", and start putting all your efforts into learning MQL5 seriously so you can convert your code properly yourself, and don't have to rely on Freelance work.

Once you fully understand MT5's trading methodology, the rest should come more easily. When I first confronted it, I though it was going to be a difficult process, but in hindsight it was easier than I thought.

The main obstacle was learning this ...

Articles

Orders, Positions and Deals in MetaTrader 5

MetaQuotes, 2011.02.01 16:13

Creating a robust trading robot cannot be done without an understanding of the mechanisms of the MetaTrader 5 trading system. The client terminal receives the information about the positions, orders, and deals from the trading server. To handle this data properly using the MQL5, it's necessary to have a good understanding of the interaction between the MQL5-program and the client terminal.

Fernando Carreiro #:

MetaQuotes often follows an unorthodox method of doing things and official announcements are sometimes late or on the hour.

If you are waiting for an "official" notice, then it might already be too late for you. Anticipate the "move", and start putting all your efforts into learning MQL5 seriously so you can convert your code properly yourself, and don't have to rely on Freelance work.

Once you fully understand MT5's trading methodology, the rest should come more easily. When I first confronted it, I though it was going to be a difficult process, but in hindsight it was easier than I thought.

The main obstacle was learning this ...

I've dabbled with it many times over the last decade. You can't even create simple stuff on it like a script to toggle on/off the borders of the chart windows using Windows dlls.

Also similar useful stuff like double clicking to maximize / minimize windows wont work. 95% of indicators haven't even been ported over properly like the original classic Supdem II mod.

I really don't get the deal with MT5. It's almost as old as MT4 but just a massive downgrade due to a lack of 3rd party tools.

It might be the case forcing people over to it will get things moving, but at least give people appropriate time and notice and not just cancel it.

narco #:

I've dabbled with it many times over the last decade. I can't even create the most simple of stuff on it like toggling on/off the borders of the chart windows. 

Also other useful stuff like double clicking to maximize / minimize windows wont work. 95% of indicators haven't even been ported over properly like the original classic Supdem II mod.

I really don't get the deal with MT5. It's almost as old as MT4 but just a massive downgrade due to a lack of 3rd party tools.

It might be the case forcing people over to it will get things moving, but at least give people appropriate time and notice and not just cancel it.

MT5/MQL5 has been around for 14 years. I would think that has been more than enough time for people to consider migrating.

Saying that is not enough, is just an excuse that we use, because most people in general "hate" change, and don't like leaving their comfort zone.

Take an honest look at yourself, and seriously consider that it is exactly that which hinders your migration to MT5/MQL5.

Tell yourself this — no more excuses, put in the effort, swallow that hard pill, and just do it!

narco #:

I've dabbled with it many times over the last decade. You can't even create simple stuff on it like a script to toggle on/off the borders of the chart windows using Windows dlls.

Also similar useful stuff like double clicking to maximize / minimize windows wont work. 95% of indicators haven't even been ported over properly like the original classic Supdem II mod.

It's not that hard . After all you are a coder , you can apply yourself to something else that requires coding . Endless possibilities.

Many brokers still offer MT4 as a trading platform choice.  Once your broker starts insinuating they won't be offering MT4 any longer I would say is time
to get concerned.  

Still; as a trader you shouldn't leave things to chance and wait to react when (or if) this happens.  Be proactive instead.  

As for converting your existing MQL4 code to MQL5; you have a few options:

1) pay someone to do it for you or
2) try to do it yourself if you know how to code or
3) learn a whole new coding language on a whole new trading platform or
4) go back to manual trading (that still works best in my opinion)

Regardless; don't wait till the train has left the station.  You are too late by then.

All the best;

Fernando Carreiro #:

MT5/MQL5 has been around for 14 years. I would think that has been more than enough time for people to consider migrating.

And unfortunately, in those 14 years, Metaqoutes hasn't been able to implement what seems so obvious - full backwards compatibility with MQL4 and ex4. This would solve so many problems, not only for users and coders, but also for them. Look, if they took the effort they put into keeping 2 platforms co-existing for such a long time and put it into a smooth transition from one platform to the other, MT4 would have been out of the market 10 years ago.

Reason: