10 minute charts...

MT4 is a beautiful application, handicapped by it's lack of 10 minute and 2 hour charts. PLEASE correct this for final release! The period converter script will suffice for custom periods but the 10 minute chart, especially, is a standard chart time frame widely used. The 10 minute chart needs to be live and updating in real-time.

I certainly understand the complexity of programming custom time periods (currently available in TradeStation, Aspen Graphics, and ESignal Advanced GET) and why that might be unavailable in the current MT4 release. However, it would not be complicated programming to add the 10 minute time period to MT4 charts. Please consider this.

Thanks.

find on our forum some topics about period converter script

find on our forum some topics about period converter script

Slawa,

I have read all the posts on this forum in regard to the period converter script. The offline charts do not update with real time data.

Traders using a 10 minute time period for their trading will not be satisfied with the "period converter script" as a replacement.

MT4 needs a custom time period. All the major charting packages have custom time periods. However, if a custom time period is not possible for MT4, then adding the 10 minute and 2 hour time periods would be an important improvement.

Thanks.

if period converter script runnin and appropriate offline chart is opened then this chart updated by period converter script!
we'll not add 10 minutes and 2 hours charts

if period converter script runnin and appropriate offline chart is opened then this chart updated by period converter script!
we'll not add 10 minutes and 2 hours charts

Slawa,

It is true that u cannot add all timeframes for everyone - however, real traders use all sorts of different timeframes. Personally, I have worked on 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13,15,17,20,25,30,34, etc... minute timeframes, on volume cahrts and especially tick charts.

The chart period is a VERY important factor for traders. Today, lots of traders will display several time frames, chose the 'best' (they decide what the best is), tune it (by a few minutes) and then trade.
Signals work - but u need the right time frames because if your time frame is too long, the move is over by the time u get a signal.

I'm sure u guys know this.

So, what I dont understand is why not have your standard time frame buttons AND allow the user to specify his own time frame EASILY. Your period converter thing is just not for normal traders.

Also, it is IMPERATIVE that u have tick and volume charts. No trading/charting software on the market can be without this.

Dont get upset please... just take this as a strong statement from a trader - who thinks u have a great software and would like to use it for real trading!

regards,

gc,

I've got significant numbers of other traders that I'm associated with who all agree and want more lower timeframes within Metatrader 4. "user defined timeframes" has further debate on this which, like this one, has fell on deaf ears.

If tick data is coming in, how does adding a few other timeframe buttons on the terminal impact on anything ? I still don't understand the logic here? Isn't this also forum for users to be listened to, by Metaquotes, for all the valuable feedback we can supply to make MT4 a better platform ?

Cheers
Martin

gc,

I've got significant numbers of other traders that I'm associated with who all agree and want more lower timeframes within Metatrader 4. "user defined timeframes" has further debate on this which, like this one, has fell on deaf ears.

If tick data is coming in, how does adding a few other timeframe buttons on the terminal impact on anything ? I still don't understand the logic here? Isn't this also forum for users to be listened to, by Metaquotes, for all the valuable feedback we can supply to make MT4 a better platform ?

Cheers
Martin

Slawa, Martin and hdb,

My premise is that the purpose for this forum is for real traders to post suggestions to Metaquotes that will enable them to improve their product offerings. On several occassions now since the beginning of the MT4 beta testing period I have suggested as clearly as possible the necessity for MT4 to have custom time periods. I have carefully pointed out the fact that ALL the major charting platforms including but not limited to TradeStation, Aspen Graphics and ESignal already offer custom time periods. In other words their users are able to pick any time period in multiples of 1 minute and set up their charts accordingly. If you want to trade off a 13 minute chart, that's not a problem with any of the above-mentioned platforms. It really makes no difference, one way or the other whether Metaquotes chooses to fix this problem for good by programming custom time periods or simply ignore the problem as has been the case so far. If they choose the former, they will have more clients and perhaps attract some of the major hedge traders. If they choose the later, those of us not willing to compromise our trading will simply keep our traders on better, more flexible charting platforms.

Two of my previous posts on this topic have been answered by Slawa with the inference that the historical offline charts created by the "period converter" script are actually live, updating charts. If that is the case, then perhaps someone will help to explain how to make it so, because my experience has been the historical offline charts created by the period converter scripts are static and not dynamic. They are simply a snapshot of the chart at the time the script is dropped on the chart. Needless to say, I will only have my traders trading from live charts.

In another response to a previous post, an end-user suggested that he had written dynamic link libraries to provide real-time 10 minute and 2 hour charts. If that is the case, perhaps Metaquotes should contact him and consider purchasing those .dll's or hiring him as a programmer.

Finally the suggestion to add 10 minute and 2 hour charts is only a stop-gap solution to fill in two, missing standard time periods until custom time periods become a standard and organic feature of the MT client terminal. It might be unruly programming to revamp MT4 to contain custom time periods. However, it would be almost inconsequential to add the 10 minute and 2 hour time periods.

Whatever Metaquotes decides to do, I've enjoyed watching their software develop and improve during the past six months and wish them all the best.

Thanks.
Reason: