Why learn Python if you code with Mql5?

Hi,

I'm wondering if learning Python to apply for coding jobs with investment/trading firms would be worth it. 

As a retail trader, I work with Mql5 every day and I don't see any reasons to switch to Python. But when I look at coding job offers in this industry, they are always for Python... anyone knows why?

If I want to go into a coding career in the investment/trading industry, should I transition to and start learning another language like Python?

Would my Mql5 experience be of any use?

Thanks in advance!

If you want a programing language job. You'd better have experience in couple of mainstream programing languages. Stock brokers use their own app or SDK which is only available to several mainstream programming languanges including python. And you may need to use Pandas or other third party APIs/packages which is only available in Python for data analysing. And the hiring companies may have their own SDKs which is only available to Python. And all data science students/data analysts use Python because of the third party visualization and mathematic packages/tools.

MT4/5 simplifies many fuzzy steps for programmers to automated trading. And programming engineers need to keep learning new thing(APIs/SDKs/new languages) in order to remain competitive or just to fulfil what the workflow needs.

Jeepack:
Hi,

I'm wondering if learning Python to apply for coding jobs with investment/trading firms would be worth it. 

As a retail trader, I work with Mql5 every day and I don't see any reasons to switch to Python. But when I look at coding job offers in this industry, they are always for Python... anyone knows why?

If I want to go into a coding career in the investment/trading industry, should I transition to and start learning another language like Python?

Would my Mql5 experience be of any use?

Thanks in advance!

Python is quite easy - just invest a few hours and upskill.

Always good to know more languages IMHO

R4tna C #:

Python is quite easy - just invest a few hours and upskill.

Always good to know more languages IMHO

William William #:

If you want a programing language job. You'd better have experience in couple of mainstream programing languages. Stock brokers use their own app or SDK which is only available to several mainstream programming languanges including python. And you may need to use Pandas or other third party APIs/packages which is only available in Python for data analysing. And the hiring companies may have their own SDKs which is only available to Python. And all data science students/data analysts use Python because of the third party visualization and mathematic packages/tools.

MT4/5 simplifies many fuzzy steps for programmers to automated trading. And programming engineers need to keep learning new thing(APIs/SDKs/new languages) in order to remain competitive or just to fulfil what the workflow needs.

Thanks for your input!

I'm just curious: would there be any advantages to coding EA's and indicators with Python aside from learning a new coding language? Lets say I decide to invest some time into learning Python to add it to my coder's resume, if I were to practice by converting my current EA's and indicators to Python (integrated into MT5), could I get any significant benefits from it compared to only using Mql5?

Jeepack #:

Thanks for your input!

I'm just curious: would there be any advantages to coding EA's and indicators with Python aside from learning a new coding language? Lets say I decide to invest some time into learning Python to add it to my coder's resume, if I were to practice by converting my current EA's and indicators to Python (integrated into MT5), could I get any significant benefits from it compared to only using Mql5?

I think MQL is better if you already have those skills. I never used Python for MetaTrader and I really like MQL5 so never needed to try it - faster and native to this platform.

But as it happens, I recommended Python earlier today to an absolute beginner simply because MetaTrader has a Python interface and it is an easier language for someone who has no coding experience to get going https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/428745

Trying to go straight to MQL5 with no knowledge of even basic programming seems like too much of a challenge

Hot Key Exper Advisor
Hot Key Exper Advisor
  • www.mql5.com
Hello! I am using a EA for Hot Key. To open and close (manage positions). The EA is for free...

R4tna C #:

I think MQL is better if you already have those skills. I never used Python for MetaTrader and I really like MQL5 so never needed to try it - faster and native to this platform.

But as it happens, I recommended Python earlier today to an absolute beginner simply because MetaTrader has a Python interface and it is an easier language for someone who has no coding experience to get going https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/428745

Trying to go straight to MQL5 with no knowledge of even basic programming seems like too much of a challenge

I started doing a bit of research and it turns out that some trading hedge funds use MT5 (a new version for hedge funds) and brokers just like us. So I guess the question is do any of those firms use Mql5 code built in-house? Probably... I actually find Mql5 very enjoyable to code so I wonder if any firms would have an interest in hiring traders that code with Mql5 in spite of having zero experience with Python. I guess it's possible... I might do a bit of research into that.

Jeepack #:

I started doing a bit of research and it turns out that some trading hedge funds use MT5 (a new version for hedge funds) and brokers just like us. So I guess the question is do any of those firms use Mql5 code built in-house? Probably... I actually find Mql5 very enjoyable to code so I wonder if any firms would have an interest in hiring traders that code with Mql5 in spite of having zero experience with Python. I guess it's possible... I might do a bit of research into that.

Good to know - do share any links and info you find

Jeepack #:

Thanks for your input!

I use MQL4 alone for my CFDs trading. But for jobs, many times you need to communicate with others, some third party tools/packages in Python allows you to organize and/or visualize things for presentation. By the way, I am not a professional Python engineer. Sometimes I just make small tools to facilitate my workflow. MQL is only used in MT4/5, I guess there's not much need in creating and maintaining a MQL code base. But companies would have a huge Python code base so that they list Python as requirement. Python itself is very easy to learn but it takes time to learn their popular packages/tools such as Numpy, Pandas and etc.

William William #:

I use MQL4 alone for my CFDs trading. But for jobs, many times you need to communicate with others, some third party tools/packages in Python allows you to organize and/or visualize things for presentation. By the way, I am not a professional Python engineer. Sometimes I just make small tools to facilitate my workflow. MQL is only used in MT4/5, I guess there's not much need in create and maintain a MQL code base. But companies would have a huge Python code base that they list Python as requirement. Python itself is very easy to learn but it takes time to learn there popular packages/tools such as Numpy, Pandas and etc.

Good points!

Hi, 

I was wondering same question, I made a bit of python during my studies, but totally strange to mq5.

However, I tried to generate mq5 functions and arrange it with chat GPT 3.5 and 4 and it works pretty well, even if I still have not finished and will have to backtest.
Chat GPT often forget things so we have to keep an critic eye, and some remind to him in order he complete the task, but however, this is I think a good alternative.

I am just wondering in case it is not working, if it could be more useful to do same through Python for the lauching, is there any additionnal difficulty to launch a Python script to EA mq5, whereas in mq5 debuging is a part important and maybe difficult ?

It would help a lot, I am using a combinaison of 3 indicators, specific entries and exit and money management based on compound effect.

Looking forward you response guys.

Baptiste Maubert
Reason: