Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 13

Georgiy Merts:

I read in Overclockers forum that TDP is standard heat pack, without Turbo Boost technology, and that Coffe Lake processors have a very aggressive technology.

I decided to check it out. In order to turn it off, it was recommended to set max power mode to 99%, not 100%.

I removed this percentage. Hmmm... The effect is amazing.

CPU frequency is now 3100 instead of 4300. LinX stably shows 170 GFlops (before 190).

But CPU temp will not go higher than 50 degree ! The fan runs at 1100 and is barely audible !

What a trick ... So, without TurboBoost - my cooler is quite enough. But if I enable Turbo Boost - I have to put a cooler with 150W heat pack.

I wonder, is it possible to set intermediary Turbo Boost aggressiveness in my bios?

Tomorrow I will compare optimization speed with and without Turbo Boost.

P.S.

OK, Alexey, I will try without RAM disk.

Judging by frequency 3100 there is no 4300 megahertz boost - from frequency increment is linear usually, hence not due to overheating. Or boost is not activated on all cores - such technology was on AMD.

Is there any software available from the motherboard manufacturers which allows to make exact settings for each core?

Without frame drive also on MT4, if it is not difficult.

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

Judging by the frequency of 3100 there is no 4300 megahertz boost - from frequency the increment is usually linear, and therefore not due to overheating. Either the booster is not activated for all cores - such technology was on AMD.

Is there any software available from the motherboard manufacturers which allows to make exact settings for each core?

Without frame drive and on MT4 too, if it's not difficult.

I have been using Gigabyte's program which is included in the package. I only could not find out how to enable/disable Turbo Boost technology. And especially not for some cores. Although, I have a lot of different fine tweaks of timings and voltages.

Frequency is displayed in this program too.

I've installed Intel monitor and it generally corresponds to Gigabyte's one. But then again, it's just the monitor. Setting "to max frequency up to 4.0GHz" - won't work. Either full Turbo Boost, with constant 4300 and high temperature trolling, or without Turbo Boost, at 3.2GHz, and with low CPU temp. I'm leaning towards the latter until I get a monster cooler...

By the way, it's written everywhere that Turbo Boost should reset first, and only then - start trotling. But monitoring shows that my clock speed is 4.3GHz and stays on even when the temperature goes over 80 deg.

All in all, I'm exploring my options for now.

About MT4 - when I'll get my hands on it. Alexey, are you optimizing something on MT4? What is the sense ?

Georgiy Merts:

I read in the Overclockers forum that TDP is the standard heat pack, without Turbo Boost technology. That said, in Coffe Lake processors - this technology is very aggressive.

welcome to the real world of technology)

the tech process of these companies has gone to the max, now they can only hide the cores under the cover, tdp

65-95W... if you give each previous core almost 150w, well at least you don't need 2 PCs )

Fast451:

welcome to the real world of technology)

the process of these companies has reached a maximum, now they can only hide the cores under the lid, tdp

65-95W..., if you give each previous core almost 150w, well at least you don't need 2 system cores )

Now I've tried standard MA-expert again, now on a normal drive - and it turns out there's no difference. Total optimization time is the same - 2:20 without hypertrading in six threads and 1:40 with hypertrading in 12 threads. As I understand it, the reason is that I'm using OHLC mode at 1M per year - in fact, all the data fits completely into the CPU cache, no disk access required (the disk LED never blinked once).

Now I'm going to see what this turbo-boost does in terms of speed... I'm going to turn it off through the BIOS.

Yep. Now it took 2:10 on the same settings with hypertrading. Well, actually, to the accuracy of the measurement error - the performance gain corresponds to the frequency gain.

Well...

Let's skip the turbo-boost for now. And after that - we'll have to buy this monster cooler with 150W TDP. I don't like them... But, the difference is quite noticeable...

Are you suggesting to get that monster DeepCool GammaXX 300 ?

And the fact that the heat pipes will be placed horizontally - is that normal?

But, I still don't understand why even at 85 degrees the turbo-boost doesn't reset. I thought it was supposed to start to trotlift...

Georgiy Merts:

So I'm using this Gigabyte program, which is included in the kit. It's also monitoring. Only how to enable/disable this very Turbo Boost technology - I haven't found how. And especially not for some cores. Although, I have a lot of different fine tweaks of timings and voltages.

Frequency is displayed in this program too.

I've installed Intel monitor and it generally corresponds to Gigabyte's one. But then again, it's just the monitor. Setting "to max frequency up to 4.0GHz" - won't work. Either full Turbo Boost, with constant 4300 and high temperature trolling, or without Turbo Boost, at 3.2GHz, and with low CPU temp. I'm leaning towards the latter until I get a monster cooler...

By the way, it's written everywhere that Turbo Boost should reset first, and only then should it start trotling. But monitoring shows that my clock speed is 4.3GHz and stays on even when it reaches 80 deg.

Anyway, I'm still exploring my options.

About MT4 - when I`ll get my hands on it. Alexey, are you optimizing something on MT4? What's the sense ?

I can't say anything about modern Intel, every AMD core can be tuned.

Yes, I use MT4 because it appeared to be too difficult for me to rewrite tens of thousands of lines for MT5, the main reason is unportability of the trading class. My EA is much simpler, there is no difference in performance, on the contrary MT4 is faster (maybe I should optimize code for MT5), therefore I have two main projects on MT4 for forex and on MT5 for stock.

Georgiy Merts:

Now I have tried standard MA-Expert again, now on a normal disk - and it turns out there is no difference. Time of full optimization is the same - without hypertrading in six threads 2:20, with hypertrading in 12 threads 1:40. As I understand it, the reason is that I'm using OHLC mode at 1M per year - in fact, all the data fits completely into the CPU cache, no disk access required (the disk LED never blinked once).

Now I'm going to see what this turbo-boost does in terms of speed... I'm going to turn it off through the BIOS.

Yep. Now it took 2:10 on the same settings with hypertrading. Well, actually, to the accuracy of the measurement error - the performance gain corresponds to the frequency gain.

Well...

Let's skip the turbo-boost for now. And after that - we'll have to buy this monster cooler with 150W TDP. I don't like them... But, the difference is quite noticeable...

Thanks, that's what I thought, not much use of the drive frames if SSD is used and not all ticks are optimised. I think it's just data going into the memory cache....

But so far it is not clear what is the gain when using hypertrading.

Georgiy Merts:
But, I still don't understand, why even at 85 deg the turbo-boost doesn't reset. I thought it was supposed to start trotting...

The BIOS may have settings for this issue. When I was building a farm, I had a lot of trouble with the bios of modern chips....

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

I can't say anything about modern Intel, with AMD you can tune every core.

There may be settings in BIOS on this matter. When I was building a farm, I had a lot of trouble with the bios of modern chips....

There are a lot of settings. Including separate settings for cores, and general settings for Turbo Boost. Some power levels, some time periods... But, I'm the only one with most of it ReadOnly. I suspect that on i7 8700K - you could change them.

So, as long as the fan is old - just turned that turbo-boost off, that's all. Will revisit the cooling issue in the future - then turn it back on.

Georgiy Merts:

There are tons of settings. Including separate settings for cores, and general ones for Turbo Boost. Some power levels, some time periods... But, I'm the only one with most of it ReadOnly. I suspect that on i7 8700K - they could be changed.

So, as long as the fan is old - just turned this turbo-boost off, and that's it. In future I'll come back to cooling issue - then we'll turn it back on.

Are you suggesting to take that monster DeepCool GammaXX 300 ?

it's just a mass budget one i have - not sold in Russia, i ordered it from china, i have it close by

Fast451:

Are you suggesting to take this monster DeepCool GammaXX 300 ?

it's just a massive budget model that i have - not sold in russia, i ordered from china, i have it close by

Well that's the only budget models that work for me. The ones on sale at dns.

Without turbo-boost - current Deepcool Theta 16 PWM is enough. But, with the boost it will be better. Well, in a month or two I'll worry about that...

I've been reading more reviews... I was interested in this one:

Как видно из приведённого скриншота, реальная рабочая частота Core i7-8700K не падает ниже 4,3 ГГц ни при каких условиях. При этом напряжение питания процессора колеблется в пределах 1,151–1,184 В, а максимальная температура, которая фиксируется в стресс-тесте, не превышает 87 градусов.

It's worth noting that we used a highly efficient Noctua NH-U14S cooler to dissipate heat, but despite this, CPU core temperatures were alarmingly close to the limits. This is directly attributable to the fact that Intel continues to use a polymer thermal interface under the CPU cover with far from ideal thermal conductivity properties.

The figures are very suspiciously the same as mine. Despite the Noctua NH-U14S cooler.

And now I'm wondering... Would replacing the cooler do any good ? These guys heated up the CPU to 96 degrees and claimed no trolling. But, I didn't reach those temperatures with my cooler either...

What do you think, friends ?

Обзор процессора Core i7-8700K: тектонический сдвиг
Обзор процессора Core i7-8700K: тектонический сдвиг
  • 3dnews.ru
Даже если бы в 2017 году было девять, а не двенадцать месяцев, его вполне можно было бы назвать периодом небывалых перемен на процессорном рынке. Чего только стоит связанное с выпуском носителей микроархитектуры Zen триумфальное возвращение компании AMD в сегмент производительных CPU. Впервые за последнее десятилетие AMD удалось сформировать...
Reason: