[Archive!] Any rookie question, so as not to clutter up the forum. Professionals, don't pass it by. Couldn't go anywhere without you - 2. - page 46

sergeev:
Why bother when you can declare the name of the settings file in the externals...

I don't know how the author wants to use it, but the attraction here is the auto-linking to that particular expert. I use it to form unique comment and magik.

Alexander.
Then you'd better follow Sergeev's advice. My variant has one set file with EA name.

Aleksandr_8:

This is how you give (set) the name of the .set file.

And how to get it, so the Expert Advisor will show on the screen what .set it is working with now.

Suppose you have 10 .sets with different names and you want to see which .set is on now

You understand that the Expert Advisor cannot guess.

He can only compare and find the differences. So do this.

Look through all the sets and if one matches your current settings, dump the information.

sergeev:
Why bother, if you can declare the name of settings file in the external files...

You can't. You have 3 identical COUNTERS running at the same time but with different

You don't want to confuse which set is which - print its name.

on the screen

Aleksandr_8:

You can't. You have 3 identical COUNTERS running at the same time but with different

parameters (i.e., .set ) and in order not to confuse which set is which - display its name

on the screen

replied above

drknn:

We need to make a code that will write the orders that appear in the text document, and the EA on another account, upon detecting a new order in the text document, will open exactly the same order. The code should be written not in MQL4, but in a dll in some other programming language, just to avoid getting bogged down with writing the path to the file.
Thanks Drknn. I will go back to explore new horizons

Aleksandr_8:

you cannot. You have 3 identical COUNTERS running at the same time, but with different
parameters (i.e., .set ) and in order not to confuse which set is which - display its name on the screen

The next step is to be flexible and start dancing on the task and not get linked to a set at once.
It's not the best example, but my external variables had different sets of parameters in strings with separators, and it was possible to select the desired set (string). Then I parsed the string and selected individual parameters of the set. Then I switched to auto-selection depending on the symbol and TF.
Programmers may kick the lamer, but I knew for sure that I could write this in an hour, and with set-files, for example, I would spend a lot longer.

sergeev:

you do realise that an expert cannot guess.

He can only compare and find differences. That is what you should do.

If you have a set, you should look through all the sets and if it matches your current parameters, throw the info out.

that's a good idea. can you write lines of code to open the .set ?

I am not sure if there is any info going through the Expert Advisor during uploading,

which *.set did he load?

Aleksandr_8:

that's a good idea. can you write lines of code to open a .set ?

FileOpen function.

sergeev:

FileOpen.

It's really easy. It would be fine, but the problem is...

that .set-ups change all the time and so do their names.

How can we go through them if we don't know their names beforehand?

Do you have any other ideas?

Aleksandr_8:

It's really simple. And that would be OK, but the problem is
the .set-ins change all the time and so do their names.
How do we go through them if we don't know their names beforehand?
Do you have any other ideas?

I have an idea for another idea :))
Reason: