Thoughts on some of the absurdity of multi-currency analysis. - page 12

faa1947 >>:

Грубо, если если EUR вырос по отношению к JPY на 1, то USD вырос по отношению к JPY на 1.69.

Осталось незамеченнымЖ "Кросс всегде не совпадает, в противном заработать на кроссе невозможно".

I don't understand what the contradiction is? The meaning of the expression in inverted commas remains unclear too.

faa1947 писал(а) >>

My understanding is that "it".

Roughly, if EUR has risen against JPY by 1, then USD has risen against JPY by 1.69 .

for getch (except why you didn't write how much EUR to USD would change according to your version)

and "it"

Left unnoticedJ "The cross does not match anywhere, otherwise it is impossible to make money on the cross".

I have seen it, but firstly, 'it' is a consequence, and secondly, the possibility to earn on the cross is not the proof that EURJPY != EURUSD * USDJPY (quotes, not open positions with the same or different lots)

'

And yet, let me lead away a bit (I'm actually curious)

There is a correlation formula, there are two numbers

EURJPY correlation with EURUSD = -22.1%

EURJPYcorrelation with USDJPY = 69%

Is it possible (is there a formula) to calculate the correlation (EURUSD*USDJPY) with EURJPY?

SergNF >>:

можно ли (есть ли формула) про рассчет корреляции (EURUSD*USDJPY) c EURJPY?

It is necessary to determine how the correlation is calculated there. Then it will be possible to answer the question.

This is a purely particular case, because everyone is free to consider the correlation as he sees fit.

This does not mean the confirmation or contradiction of cross prices definitions.

getch писал(а) >>

This is a purely private matter, as everyone is free to consider the correlation as they see fit.

Well, that's a bummer :(

And this in no way implies confirmation or contradiction of the DEFINITIONS of cross prices.

Well, I'm just the opposite. If the "product correlation" equals one, and the product of correlations (clearly not a product, but some formula) is not equal to one, then some of the two figures are wrong. Then you can start digging.

Ehhh. Bummer :(

vasya_vasya >>:

На мой взгляд это не так. Диверсификация эффективна в любых случаях, когда мы используем не один и тот же инструмент для создания портфеля. Эта вещь работает почти всегда.

Если есть какие то аргументы против ее применения - выкладывайте, будет интересно почитать.

Diversification is effective in any case of a spherical horse in a vacuum, and for the market in any case of a normal distribution of returns. Then, by decomposing the eggs into different baskets we can thin the tail of the normal distribution to infinity, and thus we can take the probability of risks even beyond ten sigmas. But the market is not normal. And alas, the normality assumption does not work. At LTCM, the risks were taken by Nobel laureates into an intuitively "unrealistic" zone according to their advanced strategy. But the market was unaware of this strategy and very quickly found a way to ruin this fund.

My argument is that the thick tails of the market distribution do not allow us to hope that we can thin them by adding up the distributions of different pairs. Practice shows that the tails remain thick anyway. There is no theory on tails yet, nor, in fact, on the market distribution. Diversification theories designed to justify the very existence of funds are plentiful, but these theories do not reduce risks, they are just marketing.

Vita >>:

Диверсификация эффективна в любых случаях сферического коня в вакууме, а для рынка в любых случаях нормального распределения возвратов. Тогда, путем разложения яиц в разные корзины мы можем утоньшать хвост нормального распределения до бесконечности, и т.о. можно увести вероятность рисков хоть за десять сигма. Но рынок не нормален. И увы, предположение нормальности не работает. У LTCM риски были уведены нобелевскими лауреатами в интуитивно "нереальную" зону согласно их передовой стратегии. Но рынок оказался не в курсе этой стратегии и очень быстро нашел способ как угробить этот фонд.
Мой аргумент - толстые хвосты рыночного распределения не позволяют нам надеятся, что мы можем их утоньшить путем сложения распределений разных пар. Практика показывает, что хвосты все равно остаются толстыми. Теории по хвостам ещё нет, как и, собственно, по рыночному распределению. Диверсификационных теорий, предназначенных для обоснования самого существования фондов предостаточно, но рисков эти теории не уменьшают, это просто маркетинг.

I don't really see what adding up quote distributions has to do with anything.

If there is any logical place to add up any distributions, it is the profitability distributions of the strategies used.

And why, sorry, should you automatically expect it to be fat-tailed as well? Because you have it that way? ;)

MetaDriver >>:

Не очень понял какое отношение к делу имеет сложение распределений котиров.

Если уж на этом самом месте и логично поскладывать какие-нибудь распределения, то это распределения профитности используемых стратегий.

А с какого, извините, перепугу нужно автоматически ожидать, что оно также будет толстохвостым? Потому что у вас оно такое? ;)

Everyone has it thick, whether they realise it or not, because it adds up to a distribution of changes in quotes (returns), changes that translate into a profit or loss from a trade. Everything else, including profitability or what you mean by that, is a consequence of the profit or loss from the trades. So the distribution is not normal and has thick tails. No amount of tricks can correct this situation.

Risk >>:

Да кто ты такой чтобы рассуждать о ФА ? олух.

А если ты не знаешь что такое корреляция, то вообще помалкивай.

Есть EUR и GBP, они взаимосвязаны, так как европа и англия тесно связаны экономически, поэтому ходят против других валют, поэтому корреляция EUR/USD и GBP/USD будет >0, а еще более яркий пример AUD и NZD, причины те же.

Менее яркий пример это USD, он противопоставлен всем мировым валютам, и очень часто, если доллар падает/растет - падает/растет против всех валют, за исключением йены.

И как раз, это объясняется только методом ФА.

Can I enlighten you a bit more?

Are the dollar and the yen allies? You mean the correlation is consistently >0?

Can your vision be presented as a matrix?

Useful info...

;)

Vita >>:

Мой аргумент - толстые хвосты рыночного распределения не позволяют нам надеятся, что мы можем их утоньшить путем сложения распределений разных пар. Практика показывает, что хвосты все равно остаются толстыми. Теории по хвостам ещё нет, как и, собственно, по рыночному распределению. Диверсификационных теорий, предназначенных для обоснования самого существования фондов предостаточно, но рисков эти теории не уменьшают, это просто маркетинг.

Can I ask in which distributions is "fatness"?

What was assessed?

Edit:

The other day the deviations from the mean were assessed - all normal!

Can I enlighten you a bit more?

Are the dollar and the yen allies? You mean the correlation is consistently >0?

Can your vision be presented as a matrix?

Useful info...

;)

That's the thing, it doesn't have to be. I gave you a link to a site where this question is discussed in detail.

Reason: