Determine the future operability of the vehicle.

I thought I'd bring up a very hot topic, in my opinion. I've been struggling with it for a long time and haven't found an answer yet. Here's the TS. Two tests with constant lot 0.1. One on the optimization period, the other OOS - data that TC has not seen. What are the criteria to determine - will it work or not? And for how long?

Period of optimization -

Symbol EURUSD (Euro vs US Dollar)
Period 1 Hour (H1) 2007.11.01 00:00 - 2008.06.30 23:59 (2007.11.01 - 2008.07.01)
Model By open prices (only for Expert Advisors with explicit bar opening control)
Bars in history 5034 Modelled ticks 9066 Modeling quality n/a
Chart mismatch errors 0
Initial deposit 10000.00
Net profit 2421.36 Total profit 7514.22 Total loss -5092.86
Profitability 1.48 Expected payoff 9.69
Absolute drawdown 133.02 Maximum drawdown 704.30 (6.21%) Relative drawdown 6.21% (704.30)
Total trades 250 Short positions (% win) 125 (40.00%) Long positions (% win) 125 (56.80%)
Profitable trades (% of all) 121 (48.40%) Loss trades (% of all) 129 (51.60%)
Largest profitable trade 315.64 losing deal -191.58
Average profitable deal 62.10 losing trade -39.48
Maximum continuous wins (profit) 6 (465.32) Continuous losses (loss) 8 (-199.84)
Maximum Continuous Profit (number of wins) 465.32 (6) Continuous loss (number of losses) -315.84 (3)
Average continuous winnings 2 continuous loss 2

Out-of-Sample -

Symbol EURUSD (Euro vs US Dollar)
Period 1 Hour (H1) 2008.07.01 00:00 - 2008.07.22 23:59 (2008.07.01 - 2008.07.23)
Model By open prices (only for Expert Advisors with explicit bar opening control)
Bars in history 1382 Modelled ticks 1762 Modeling quality n/a
Chart mismatch errors 0
Initial deposit 10000.00
Net profit 577.22 Total profit 700.12 Total loss -122.90
Profitability 5.70 Expected payoff 38.48
Absolute drawdown 51.00 Maximum drawdown 129.00 (1.28%) Relative drawdown 1.28% (129.00)
Total trades 15 Short positions (% win) 8 (75.00%) Long positions (% win) 7 (71.43%)
Profitable trades (% of all) 11 (73.33%) Loss trades (% of all) 4 (26.67%)
Largest profitable trade 134.32 losing transaction -69.00
Average profitable deal 63.65 Deal loss -30.72
Maximum continuous wins (profit) 6 (423.80) Continuous losses (loss) 2 (-49.32)
Maximum Continuous Profit (number of wins) 423.80 (6) Continuous loss (number of losses) -69.00 (1)
Average continuous winnings 4 Continuous loss 1

And you can see that on OOS - the TC's stats are much better.

Basically, I would say that the strategy is working at this point in time by the ratio of the maximum profit trade to the maximum loss trade (in both cases it is approximately the same). The same can be said about the ratio of the average profit over the average loss. For me, these ratios are generally one of the most significant in my approximate evaluation of system stability. As for the OutOFSample test, I would make it a bit longer to have at least 30-40 trades. And not only for last month but several out of samples (one for each year, the time can be up to the mark, but of course it's better in different market conditions). As for the test on bar opening - see yourself - if your Expert Advisor obviously takes it into account, then such testing is adequate, if not - then only on all ticks. And how long will such an TS last is a philosophical question, and probably in 80% of cases it will last until a sharp change of trend, and after that... only online tests.

LeoV писал (а) >>

will it continue to work or not? And for how long?

Not many deals for analysis,
continuous winnings (profit) 6 (465.32) continuous losses (loss) 8 (-199.84)

not very good either.

that on the optimisation check is simple:

Wind back a year and test one month, then optimize for the previous month, run again compare the results, then optimize for that month and run the next one and so on. this will show a working algorithm or the optimization is just a fit with history.

Gans-deGlucker писал (а) >>
As for the OutOFSample test, I would make it longer, so it would have at least 30-40 trades. And not only for last month but several out of samples (one for each year, the time can be up to the mark, but of course it would be better in different market conditions).

You see the thing is, the higher the OOS, the less it will live on the real world. Here, too, I think it is necessary to reduce the OOS, so that the TS has a longer life. But concerning the tests of previous years - my opinion it does not play a role because the market was different and testing is not relevant. Moreover, it was written here that after autumn 2006 our brokerage companies started to filter quotes more strongly.

I have noticed (from my expert) that good "inertia" work lasts up to two tenths of the "run-up", i.e. the optimisation period. In this case, the optimization period was 8 months, so if the profit does not start to fall after two months, then you are a hero. I wish you more.

olltrad писал (а) >>

You wind up one year ago and test one month, then optimize for the previous month, run it again and compare the results, then optimize for this month and run the next one, etc. So you can see if the algorithm works or if the optimization is just a fitting for the history.

It seems to me that this is too cumbersome process for an ordinary TS that will live better than half a year with these optimized parameters. There has to be some simpler method.

LeoV писал (а) >>

It seems to me that this is too time-consuming a process for an ordinary TC, which with these optimised parameters will live for maybe half a year. There has to be some simpler method.

Six months without over-optimisation in profit is a very good result in my opinion.

Gans-deGlucker писал (а) >>

Six months without over-optimisation in profit is a very good result in my opinion.

I absolutely agree with you. So now do the math, if you have 1 month of OOS you have 5 months of real, 2 months of OOS you have 4 months of real. And so on. So OOS should be reduced if possible, not increased.

Yes, I agree with you, it's just that 15 deals for statistics is a bit small... So of course it's a two-edged sword. Something has to be sacrificed... :)

I don't think the market has changed. some parameters have changed a bit, but nothing more. the basic principles are the same as before, and a good system should be profitable over its entire history
Reason: