How do you decide on a trend?

I'm going to tell you the plain truth ....

Any trading system implies, in my opinion, some kind of trend/fleet determinant, without it, in my opinion, again - no way.....

I would like to do some digging on this issue once again, to discuss some of my ideas and listen to some opinions...

It seems to me that in the certainty of the matter, each for himself, there is a big profit ...

Who determines the trend for themselves, and based on what.....

IvanIvanov:

Who defines the trend for themselves and, on the basis of what.....

Based on history, there was a trend... there was a flat... etc.... :D

IvanIvanov:

Any trading system implies, in my opinion, some kind of trend/fleet determinant, without it, in my opinion, again - no way.....

I would like to do some digging on this issue once again, to discuss some of my ideas and listen to some opinions...

It seems to me that in the certainty of the matter, each for himself, there is a great profit ...

Who determines the trend for themselves, and based on what........

IMHO, the trend can take the biggest profit, dozens of ordinary trades (news, anti-trend, etc.) can be closed by one successful trend, as everyone knows, I hope the trend is always there, another thing is its strength and duration, if there is no trend on H4, then there is a trend on H30 and guaranteed M5)), as the price is always going up or down and there is no chaos in reality

Personally, my attempts so far have stopped at finding an adaptive stochastic MA, ie trying to write a MA, which would itself select the averaging period, the meaning is that

My MA has access to a set of regular ones with different averaging with 4-8 units step on M15. Bottom line - we have 10-15 waves with different period

Then MMMA compares changes of the wands during 1 bar, i.e.

D_MA=MathAbs(MA(0)-MA(1)); - схематично

Then let's output the buffer of our MMA comparing D_MA with a certain value corresponding to the period

because D_MA will always be smaller at higher periods and a smaller value will be applied to them

if the "slope angle" of the higher MA meets the criterion, we set the maximum buffer value on this bar; if not, we go to a faster MA and compare its D_MA; if it meets the criterion, we set the buffer value 1 unit less.

But the method itself somehow doesn't work very well for me, so I'm still searching for ideas.

Although the idea has potential

G001:
Based on history, there was a trend... there was a flat... etc.... :D

In history, yes... it's like two fingers on the pavement. =)

And in general, a breakdown of the low/maximum in N bars.

IvanIvanov:

I would like to do some digging on this subject once again, to discuss some ideas and listen to some opinions...

It seems to me that in the certainty of the matter, each for himself, there is a big profit ...

Who determines the trend for themselves, and based on what.....

In my opinion every currency pair has its own character, some pairs are trending the most, some are always going in a sideways trend, some are "dead" - without much movement. For example, for the major currency pair, the trend usually lasts about a week, then it reverses. USDCAD often goes in a flat, GBPUSD - if it goes in some direction, it cannot be stopped - it will go to 400 points. The trends are different for all currencies, they are attractive on D1, and sometimes on H1-H4. IMHO, the trend is defined by the pencils - it is a classic. But the trend is constantly changing and you do not manage to make profit ((.

JohnyPipa:

G001:
On the basis of history, there was a trend... there was a flat... etc.... :D

In history, yes... it's like two fingers on the pavement. =)

There is no other option. :)

I think to understand "where" to look for a trend, on what timeframes, you need to have some statistics about distribution of market players on these timeframes, roughly speaking, you need to know how much pressure on the market, with what periodicity on average, from this data you can simulate a market fractal. Otherwise, the trend on one timeframe will be just a counter-trend on another one, without any definite periodicity and ability to distinguish the scales. But this is not the case, due to the nature of such temporal dependence.

I personally started from the fact that most participants use software with a discrete timeframe step and this, to my mind, gives a hint that most traders think in terms of candlesticks: 1,5,15,30,60,240min 1,4,7,30-days and 4,6,12-months. Thus, market fractal is not homogeneous in structure when scaled.

It means that whatever time filter(s) is applied to find the trend, it is desirable to consider trends on the same discrete scale as most participants think, and not intermediate ones. Well, we should also take into account "traditions", know what MA values are used by the majority, because the market will reflect on their basis.

So statistical data is a must!

The trend is part of a flat on an older period. IMHO

The trend is my enemy. The flat is my friend

there is no flat in the market. The market is fractal. It is always in a trend. Therefore, you should not look for a trend, but for a price fluctuation threshold that suits you as a flat. By cutting off this "flat" you will get a "trend".

lordlev:
there is no flat in the market. The market is fractal. It is always in a trend. Therefore, you should not look for a trend, but for a price fluctuation threshold that suits you as a flat. By cutting off this "flat" you will get a "trend".
In simple words, we have to look for the boundaries of the flat corridor and place orders there, because it will be followed by a trend, right?

lazarev-d-m:
In simple terms, we should look for the borders of the flat corridor and place orders there, because it will be followed by a trend, right?
That is the theory. They teach it in brokerage companies. In practice, such traders do not live long. This is because there is no flat on the market as I wrote. They invent a flat and think that they may make some money based on this idea. And the result is failure. We should build a strategy based on the real situation. TS asked me how to make up his own.... to separate the flat from the trend, so I wrote him a classic.
Reason: