Examples: MetaTrader 4 on Linux - page 2

Yesterday I read this article which was written for Ubuntu users in mind (and BTW has been copied by many forex brokers on their websites). As I am leaving my current employer I have to return my windows-based machine and need to deploy MT at (my Linux-only) home. I have now MT4 running on a Mageia distrib and it works very well. I expected to need some manipulations as usual, but Wine picked up the downloaded installer and from there everything works the same. In terms of performance, I run an EA on 33 charts simultaneously, and although this personal laptop has 4 times less memory and 4 times less CPU power, overall the OS availability is superior.

So until now, no issue at all. Thanks for this guide!

For displaying the symbols (arrow objects, EA smiley icon, ...), copy "wingding.ttf" file to Wine local fonts folder (~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/).

Hi,

i read on  mql4_comments that mt4 runs very well under mageia. i have installed MT4 through PlayOnLinux, all is ok, mt4 comes on the screen when i launch it. I can go in all menu, open close, and so on. But i can do nothing. Nor graphic, neither data, test of EA doesn't works. I think that i must be connected to a broker. But when i try to connect to some demo account, after entering user, password, sever, nothing comes, except a big "WWEEEEEEEet"! Same thing when a start an EA, when i scan on broker.Problem seems to be that i am not connected. But how to do it ? i it a bug of PlayOnLinux, whith which installation is esay, nice, but does'r really works ? must i install wine directly (PlayOnLinux seems to be a layer around wine) ?

I feel that problem i not of identification, i think to have good server name, etc. But connection is not launched.

Help!

Thanks,

--- Jean ---

Which version of linux is the best for mt4 installing and running it with stability :

Cent OS 7.0  
Cent OS 6.6
Debian 7
Ubuntu 14.10
Ubuntu 14.04
Fedora 21
openSUSE 13.1

Thank you,3.2

i use ubuntu12.04 and wine to run mt4&mt5,everything is  fine except can not see mql market, can not use EA buy from mql market, wish metaquotes could make some effort to fix this issue, then it will be a perfect solution for every trader.

hello , i have a problem often the mt4 on ubuntu play on linux stop to recive data:

esample: the line is conneted but the new tick or candle don't came every  the only way to see the new bar is relogin ... i have installed the mfc40 and 42 in system 32 folder , some one know what happen and how i can solve this problem

I cannot install MT4 on Ubuntu 15.10 with wine. It always asks for a proxy configuration.

clel:
I cannot install MT4 on Ubuntu 15.10 with wine. It always asks for a proxy configuration.
I had the same problem and managed to fix it. My install instructions summary:

Important, you have to use the latest git version from winetricks (not from apt repository) 

$ wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks -O ~/bin/winetricks
$ winetricks winhttp
$ wine mt4setup.exe

Then copy a valid wingding.ttf to /usr/share/wine/wine/fonts/* (yes, double wine folder here on debian 8.3! Copying to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ haven't worked here.

Problem I had after that was I couldn't use/apply/save templates (*.tpl).

I've found that comment on winehq site
Loading and saving issues are because MT4 requires commdlg32.dll version 6.0.0.  You must install dot net 3.5 using winetricks.  However, this will only work on a 32-bit wine prefix.  Before installing MT4, make sure you are installing it to a 32-bit wine prefix.  You can install dot net 3.5 later, you just won't be able to load and save presets, save templates, etc. until you do.
So after doing

$ winetricks dotnet35
(which installs a bunch of packages on the fly) I now can select/open/apply/save templates in MT4!

Also a good hint I found...
Wine needs to be slightly configured for this to run perfectly.
Go to Wine > Configure Wine > Graphics.
Once in Graphics, uncheck 'Allow the window manager to decorate the windows'. Then it runs flawlessly.

Jagg:
I had the same problem and managed to fix it. My install instructions summary:

Important, you have to use the latest git version from winetricks (not from apt repository) 

Then copy a valid wingding.ttf to /usr/share/wine/wine/fonts/* (yes, double wine folder here on debian 8.3! Copying to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/ haven't worked here.

Problem I had after that was I couldn't use/apply/save templates (*.tpl).

I've found that comment on winehq site
So after doing

(which installs a bunch of packages on the fly) I now can select/open/apply/save templates in MT4!

Also a good hint I found...

the wget link to winetricks github doesn't work anymore.

Went directly to github page but don't know how to install from github. We have to 'make' and 'install' something, but not sure which file

I notice this thread is quite old and even metatraders tutorial is very out-dated.

What IS the latest?

I'm running ubuntu-mate 16.04 and I get the proxy server dialog pop up... I've run MT4 using wine on Ubuntu for years. Why has it suddenly got so difficult; impossible?

Easiest would be if Metaquotes makes a native version, for OSX also, although many brokers have a "MT4 for Mac" available, so, wine is clearly working for them.

anyone have a clue why push notifications and email does not work on Linux ?

(probably some lib missing, the big question is which one)

Reason: