I can't sign into MQl5 community using a demo account on MT4 desktop on Ubuntu Linux

I can't sign into MQl5 community using a demo account on MT4 desktop on Ubuntu Linux. It used to worked before but it has stopped working at the moment. I get the error message shown in the attached screenshot which says authorization failed. Please may I know how to solve this issue?

Enyinna:
I can't sign into MQl5 community using a demo account on MT4 desktop on Ubuntu Linux. It used to worked before but it has stopped working at the moment. I get the error message shown in the attached screenshot which says authorization failed. Please may I know how to solve this issue?

Hi Enyinna

I am just about to start playing around with Linux and MT4... I can't answer your question (although I am wondering why this would be important - signing into Mql5), but, have you had any real issues running Mt4 on Linux...? If you have, could you give me a "heads up" on the issues you have had...

Thanx

There are plenty of issues so expect the worst.

Marco vd Heijden:

Aaagh jeez Marco... I was hoping to not go down any rabbit holes... fok

Can I ask you to be honest with me before I do... 

Should I even bother about trying to get MT4 onto Linux?

Thanx

Mike Tanton:

Hi Enyinna

I am just about to start playing around with Linux and MT4... I can't answer your question (although I am wondering why this would be important - signing into Mql5), but, have you had any real issues running Mt4 on Linux...? If you have, could you give me a "heads up" on the issues you have had...

Thanx

I have been using it for a long while. There are actually no big issues. All the trading features work. The only noticeable thing that doesn't work is the market where you can buy indicators and robots. If you don't buy stuffs from the market then this shouldn't be a problem. I actually need to sign into MQL5 community in order to use the VPS service to run my trading robot. Without signing into MQL5 it wouldn't be possible to use the VPS service.

Marco vd Heijden:
I haven't seen the "plent of issues" and I have been using it for a long while. Maybe you can list all the issues. Only the market doesn't work in my own use case.

Thanx Enyinna.... I'll try it out

PS: If you need an indicator then just PM me and I'll see what I can do...

What are the issues Marco?

Note that the latest Beta of MT5 has added Market support for Linux & Mac.
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/313653
Will they add it to MT4? Extremely unlikely.
MetaTrader 5 platform beta build 2055: Integration with Python and Strategy Tester improvements
MetaTrader 5 platform beta build 2055: Integration with Python and Strategy Tester improvements
  • www.mql5.com
The beta version of the updated MetaTrader 5 platform will be released on Friday, May 17, 2019...

drayzen:
Note that the latest Beta of MT5 has added Market support for Linux & Mac.
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/313653
Will they add it to MT4? Extremely unlikely.

Thanx Drayzen... I know that I need to move everything over to Mt5 at some point... but for now, are there any specific things that I should know about Mt4 and Linux - before I go down this rabbit hole...

Mike Tanton:

Thanx Drayzen... I know that I need to move everything over to Mt5 at some point... but for now, are there any specific things that I should know about Mt4 and Linux - before I go down this rabbit hole...

I'd say provided you're not using anything that's making external calls using .dll's etc. then, other than the Market, it should work as expected.
For things that need to make external calls it's just going to come down to how well Wine manages the specific thing you're trying to use, whether it's a specific .dll or .NET etc., most should work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't..

Reason: