Range trading

Range trading can work consistently when traded manually but it's time consuming. I understand that it's not easy to create an EA to do the same job but are there any out there? The market is full of breakout EAs but not range trading EAs  

richhand but are there any out there?

Do your own research.

William Roeder:

Do your own research.

Perhaps i have, here's a hint..'The market is full of break out EAs but not range trading EAs'. 

However I will respect that someone may know more. 

richhand:
Perhaps i have, here's a hint..'The market is full of break out EAs but not range trading EAs'. 

However I will respect that someone may know more. 

also I think market is ranging 80% of the time. does it means you will win 80% of the time with a ranging EA?

Jean Francois Le Bas:

also I think market is ranging 80% of the time. does it means you will win 80% of the time with a ranging EA?

By the time a range is created it may be ready to breakout. It is though the fine detail of precisely when and where to enter and exit that can still bring profit. 

and with a ranging EA, and there is a trend, you will lose a big amount, or close in a small profit, depending on the side you're on before the trend

Jean Francois Le Bas:

Who said that ? On what base ? What is the definition of a ranging market ?

Alain Verleyen:

Who said that ? On what base ? What is the definition of a ranging market ?

what ? it's well known that market ranges most of the time. We can measure it with ADX.

a ranging market is a market where oscillators are profitable, a trending market is a market where price goes strongly in one direction and MA is the indicator of choice.

MAs don't work in a ranging market because they are too late, and oscillators don't work in a ranging market because the reversing signal is then wrong

this is trading 101, and most traders agree to that.

Jeff

Market Condition Evaluation based on standard indicators in Metatrader 5
Market Condition Evaluation based on standard indicators in Metatrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
I just started this thread as a continuation of the talking made on this topic (we can read it). Or...

Jean Francois Le Bas:

what ? it's well known that market ranges most of the time. We can measure it with ADX.

a ranging market is a market where oscillators are profitable, a trending market is a market where price goes strongly in one direction and MA is the indicator of choice.

MAs don't work in a ranging market because they are too late, and oscillators don't work in a ranging market because the reversing signal is then wrong

this is trading 101, and most traders agree to that.

Jeff

You are contradicting yourself.

When does the range start? Is this the point of the trend end or the recoil point? Or the time elapsed since the last trend update? Because if you look for several points that will confirm the range, it will be too late to enter. The range will collapse with a 50/50 probability.
Reason: