Strategy Tester doesn't match reality - page 2

Marco vd Heijden:

The Algorithm is well known see Here.

Cool :-)

I didn't know that. 

Marco vd Heijden:

So recode it into MQl5.

It took me a long time to learn MQL4. Learning everything all over again is a dreadful prospect.

Drazen Penic:

MT4 does not keep ticks in the database.

That confuses me because I often run Strategy Tester in visual mode and slow pace, and it seems to tick like in real time. Maybe there is something about it that I don't really understand and leads me to wrong assumptions.

Drazen Penic:

So, again:

Did you check that trades EA opened on the demo account follow your strategy?

So it seems. I often run Strategy Tester in visual mode at slow pace, and the EA seems to behave as expected. In fact, that is how I adjusted all the parameters in the EA, also resorting to optimization on occasion. I just think the price "wobbles" a lot more when the EA goes live and often seems to intentionally chase my stops just far enough to kill my trade before resuming its previous course.

whoowl:

It took me a long time to learn MQL4. Learning everything all over again is a dreadful prospect.

That confuses me because I often run Strategy Tester in visual mode and slow pace, and it seems to tick like in real time. Maybe there is something about it that I don't really understand and leads me to wrong assumptions.

So it seems. I often run Strategy Tester in visual mode at slow pace, and the EA seems to behave as expected. In fact, that is how I adjusted all the parameters in the EA, also resorting to optimization on occasion. I just think the price "wobbles" a lot more when the EA goes live and often seems to intentionally chase my stops just far enough to kill my trade before resuming its previous course.

I use strategy tester to test that EA executes the strategy as expected. Things I check: EA enters and exits the trades at the expected moment. No suspicious or unexpected trades - I can understand why something happened in the test run. 

Positive result gives hope that strategy might work on the market.  Then I run forward test on the demo account.

I do not care about price movement in tester. It's not real and even if you make it real using some external tool, there are other variables that tester can't simulate. 

Thing is that tester poorly reflects real world - fixed spread, execution is instant, no splippage, no commissions and swaps. 

And finally, if MetaQuotes ever creates perfect tester it will again tell you how your EA would trade on the history data.

You can expect same results ONLY if history repeats, tick by tick.  You saw that - same OHLC, but slightly different ticks make your EA lose money. 

Tester is usable tool, but it will not tell you if you'll become rich.

You see, I'm trading SP500 intraday.

So I am working with a fixed spread (at least in this particular broker), execution is supposed to be instant (I guess), no slippages occurred this week, no commissions are levied on indices (only on currency pairs) and no swaps either because it's all intraday.

It seems the problem is that the ticks are not realistic. Like I said, the price "wobbles" a lot more live than in the simulation.

whoowl:

You see, I'm trading SP500 intraday.

So I am working with a fixed spread (at least in this particular broker), execution is supposed to be instant (I guess), no slippages occurred this week, no commissions are levied on indices (only on currency pairs) and no swaps either because it's all intraday.

It seems the problem is that the ticks are not realistic. Like I said, the price "wobbles" a lot more live than in the simulation.

As a side note, MT4 was created with Forex as primary goal. MT5 is more than 10 years old.

Back to the tester.
To paraphrase one popular movie: you have two pills ...

You can accept tester as is and use it to test your strategy being aware how the tester works (check the link Marco posted above).

or

You can continue to explain to me what you expect(ed) from the tester. 

I don't work for Metaquotes, so I can't help you with your expectations.

Reason: