Discussion of article "Indicator for Renko charting"

New article Indicator for Renko charting has been published:

Articles Indicator for Point and Figure charting and Indicator for Kagi charting described Point and Figure and "Kagi" indicators charting principles. Let's study one of the programming ways of creating Renko chart.

The name "Renko" is derived from the Japanese word "renga", a brick. Renko chart is constructed from a series of bricks whose creation is determined by fluctuations in price. When a price rises, an up brick is placed on the chart and, with drop of prices a down brick is added. "Renko" means a "slow pace" in Japanese. The Renko chart appeared in Japan, probably, somewhere in the 19th century. The USA and Europe first heard about it after Steeve Nison published it in 1994, in his book Beyond Candlesticks: New Japanese Charting Techniques Revealed.

The Renko chart as the above mentioned charts ignores a timeline and is only concerned with price movement. Unlike Point and Figure chart, the Renko places each "brick" in a new column (in a new vertical plane), as for the rest, they have a common creating method: size of a "brick" ("point", "figure") is fixed, price analysis and figures lining are made in a similar way.

So, Renko chart is a set of vertical bars ("bricks"). White (hollow) bricks are used when the direction of the trend is up, while black (filled) bricks are used when the trend is down. The construction is regulated with the prices behaviour. The current price of the taken period is compared with minimum and maximum of the previous brick (white or black). If the stock closes higher than its opening price, a hollow (white) brick is drawn with the bottom of the body representing the opening price and the top of the body representing the closing price. If the stock closes lower than its opening price, a filled (black) brick is drawn with the top of the body representing the opening price and the bottom of the body representing the closing price.

The very first brick of the chart is drawn depending on the price behaviour, the bar opening price is taken for a maximum and a minimum of the previous brick.

A standard Renko chart example, Fig. 1:

Fig. 1. A standard Renko chart example

Fig. 1. A standard Renko chart example

Author: Dmitriy Zabudskiy

I like Renko Chart very much.

It reprisents trend.

Trend is everything to make money at forex mkt.

thanks for the good info , when add the indicator  to the chart the strategy tester runs very slow , any suggestion to improve speed ?

found solution , the start date should be set during getting handle of indicator, otherwise it will begin calculate from the static start date initialization !

meyti:
found solution , the start date should be set during getting handle of indicator, otherwise it will begin calculate from the static start date initialization !
That's right

how put indicator,, and what this for mt5.. sorry  i m newbie

yogisetiawan:
how put indicator,, and what this for mt5.. sorry  i m newbie

About MT5

http://www.metatrader5.com/en

MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform for Forex Trading
MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform for Forex Trading
  • www.metatrader5.com
The MetaTrader 5 Trading Platform is designed to provide brokerage services to traders in Forex, CFD, Futures, as well as stock markets. Become a broker and start rendering services to traders on the financial markets.

Aktiniy:

About MT5

http://www.metatrader5.com/en

nice article and great indicator, overlaid visualization of time charts with renko is very powerful. however, I'm not able to get my charts to look like those in the article.

If I want to look at a 25 pip renko brick overlaid on a 1hr EURUSD chart, what should the setting be for "Points" - 25 ? Also, whats the meaning of the "Levels" variable ? And I cant get the zigzag lines to show on my chart. Would it be possible to share a template with the correct settings.

Thanks in advance... 

buylosellhi:

nice article and great indicator, overlaid visualization of time charts with renko is very powerful. however, I'm not able to get my charts to look like those in the article.

If I want to look at a 25 pip renko brick overlaid on a 1hr EURUSD chart, what should the setting be for "Points" - 25 ? Also, whats the meaning of the "Levels" variable ? And I cant get the zigzag lines to show on my chart. Would it be possible to share a template with the correct settings.

Thanks in advance... 

Thank you! The variable of "Number of levels (0-no levels)", just draw a horizontal line in the indicator window, to see prices of a brick.

You need: Step=25, Calculation period=H1 (This is a 25 pip renko brick overlaid on a 1hr).

Mestre DMITRIV Thank you ! I'm from Brazil and I appreciate your available artig. I'm Using some Other setup Renko indicator. Dimitri master. Your comments on the blog are being very helpful, thank! I'm using a different setup Renko. I can not set up your "abcr" for the "Future Ibovespa Index - BMF (WINQ15) " . I believe I'm going with the wrong parameters ..I have done various combinations but does not work !! Use this index configuration size of 100 points FOR 1 Brick .I need setting for 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes and ticks. I would greatly appreciate that u help me set up correctly .. step - 100 type_step - point magic_numb - ? levels_number - 1 levels_color - ok time_frame - 1 , 5 , 15 e ticks ? time_redraw - current first_date_start - 06/2015 type_price - Close shadow_print -true; filter_number -2 (the price need to revert back all the brick is, and again the previus ,ok?) zig_zag - true; zig_zag_shadow - used to draw ZigZags according to the maximum and minimum prices (uses the closest maximum and minimum prices to construct zigzags on endpoints); I did not understand ?? zig_zag_width - 2 zig_zag_color_up - yellow zig_zag_color_down - red square_draw - TRUE; square_color_up - YELLOW; square_color_down - RED; square_fill - brick coloring on the main chart; TRUE square_width - 2 ; frame_draw - TRUE frame_width - 2 frame_color_up - YELLOW frame_color_down RED THank You and sorry for taking your time! Graciously, Mr. Melo

1000016438:
Mestre DMITRIV Thank you ! I'm from Brazil and I appreciate your available artig. I'm Using some Other setup Renko indicator. Dimitri master. Your comments on the blog are being very helpful, thank! I'm using a different setup Renko. I can not set up your "abcr" for the "Future Ibovespa Index - BMF (WINQ15) " . I believe I'm going with the wrong parameters ..I have done various combinations but does not work !! Use this index configuration size of 100 points FOR 1 Brick .I need setting for 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes and ticks. I would greatly appreciate that u help me set up correctly .. step - 100 type_step - point magic_numb - ? levels_number - 1 levels_color - ok time_frame - 1 , 5 , 15 e ticks ? time_redraw - current first_date_start - 06/2015 type_price - Close shadow_print -true; filter_number -2 (the price need to revert back all the brick is, and again the previus ,ok?) zig_zag - true; zig_zag_shadow - used to draw ZigZags according to the maximum and minimum prices (uses the closest maximum and minimum prices to construct zigzags on endpoints); I did not understand ?? zig_zag_width - 2 zig_zag_color_up - yellow zig_zag_color_down - red square_draw - TRUE; square_color_up - YELLOW; square_color_down - RED; square_fill - brick coloring on the main chart; TRUE square_width - 2 ; frame_draw - TRUE frame_width - 2 frame_color_up - YELLOW frame_color_down RED THank You and sorry for taking your time! Graciously, Mr. Melo
Hello!
May be the "step" is big?;
type_step - point (good);
magic_numb - (any thing);
levels_number - (any thing);
levels_color - (any thing);
time_frame - 1H;
time_redraw - 1M;
first_date_start - 01.01.2015 (06/2015 - it is small) ;
type_price - (any thing);
shadow_print - (any thing);
filter_number - 0 or 2 (it is normal);
zig_zag - (any thing);
zig_zag_shadow - (any thing);
zig_zag_width - (any thing);
zig_zag_color_up - (any thing);
zig_zag_color_down - (any thing);
square_draw - (any thing);
square_color_up - (any thing);
square_color_down - (any thing);
square_fill - (any thing);
square_width - (any thing);
frame_draw - (any thing);
frame_width - (any thing);
frame_color_up - (any thing);
frame_color_down - (any thing).
The important parameters is: step, type_step, time_frame, time_redraw, first_date_start, filter_number. Try to work with these settings.
Reason: