Trader ready to make a living with expert advisor with some doubts - page 2

Fernando Carreiro:

LOL! Eight months ago you could not even code in MQL. How could you have possibly been forward testing it live for more than 2 years?

No, back-testing does not count (especially on MT4), because live testing is completely different. Even Demo vs Real is quite different!

Please, who are you trying to kid? Yourself? You are definitely still in the 90/90/90 club!

Run it live on your own PC first then you can see if it works and makes money or not!

dude I already knew c++ which is almost the same, I said I had programing experience.... can you just ... Ok Im a newbie and I know nothing be happy.... 

But can someone answer the questions? Please? even If Im wrong and gonna go broke its fine... let me be happy and pretend that I know what Im doing geez.

It would really help me.

Fernando Carreiro:

LOL! Eight months ago you could not even code in MQL. How could you have possibly been forward testing it live for more than 2 years?

No, back-testing does not count (especially on MT4), because live testing is completely different. Even Demo vs Real is quite different!

Please, who are you trying to kid? Yourself? You are definitely still in the 90/90/90 club!

Run it live on your own PC first then you can see if it works and makes money or not!

btw... when I say for more than 2 years is the period that i test it... data from 2016 to 2018... and I can chose any period and be profitable any period of around 1 to 4 years... just need to optimize and tweak settings... do you guys only critize here ? can someone address the questions?

palepalepale:

btw... when I say for more than 2 years is the period that i test it... data from 2016 to 2018... and I can chose any period and be profitable any period of around 1 to 4 years... just need to optimize and tweak settings... do you guys only critize here ? can someone address the questions?

To answer some of your questions - It's not allowed to advertise or Point direction to services in this forum, do your own research about this. Beside this, i would not recommend to to run robots on the home cpu as it would be unstable with to high ping, internet Connection and Always leaving cpu on. With a vps you don't need to Think of that but be sure to get as low ping as possible with a vps. Not all vps are that great so be sure to know this before using one as ping are the most important thing when it comes to order execution!

Stealing you robot....Na i don't Think thats gonna happen as long as you don't share the code around people. No code sharing around and you are fine!

Optimization - To really know if a robot working and making Money as desired test it out on demo first, perhaps your robot has some bugs wich will be shown and not harming your virtual Money. When Everything looks good and you are satisfyied with results on a demo well then it's time for the real test......Doe's it really work on a REAL account? the only way to find out - RUN it on a real account! It could be a success or it could be a total failure leaving you with an empty pocket, tears and anger.....Making you even more desperate to getting back you're lost Money......

Relying on back and forward tests on old history data that's out of the question totally! You need to know if it works righ here right now! For experimental purpose back and forward tests works, but other way around it won't work for you.

So let's sum up what i wrote;

Do your own research about vps - Test your stuff on demo, fix bugs and tweak until you're happy - Put this thing you have on a REAL account and see if it was that such great robot or not.

palepalepale:

1)Can someone point me to a good thread or website where they compare VPNs vs having EAs running from your house

2)Optimal computer setups to run it from your house efficiently

3)If I use vpn.. Can they steal my robot? my code??

4)Efficient and cheap vpn websites

5)Is the vpn service from metatrader any good... also question #3 here.. I think its kinda the no brainer choice but still...

1. I don't know of any, but I am sure there are some. You will have to search. But common sense would say that the VPN is the better choice for 24/5 trading, unless you can guarantee the same conditions at home, such as redundant high-speed Internet connectivity, power redundancy, etc.
  2. It really depends on your EA's needs, and see point 1 on redundancy and connectivity.
  3. Technically yes, although highly unlikely, but who would want to? Just don't place the source code there. Also, if you use 3rd party VPS services that are not dedicated to trading, who would even know?
  4. I use non-trading VPN services which are cheaper and more flexible than those dedicated to MetaTrader installations, but it does require that you know how to manage the OS, Security, etc. yourself.
  5. Personally I don't like it. I consider it less reliable and more expensive in my view. On a normal VPN you can run more than one instance of MetaTrader and on more than one account, as well as any DLL's or databases or any other support application you may need, which you can't do on here. For me, using 3rd party VPS is more flexible and saves costs, but it does require that you manage everything yourself.

Test your robot in home pc with Cent account for 6-7 months at least then deposit big money

Also make sure your EA operates the same way as you are testing . 
This cannot be achieved with a control points simulation unfortunately . 
It must be clear when the EA's functions fire in the backtest , and then these functions must "fire" on the same 
criteria/events live.
Make sure you are using the correct data for simulations , and if you can , dont allow the EA to "optimize" during extreme events (news etc) in the past , or low - irrelevant volatility .
The spread in the simulation , dont use current , rather choose the average of that instrument and multiply it by 3 .
If you can port it on MT5 for real ticks testing , its advised :)

palepalepale:

1)Can someone point me to a good thread or website where they compare VPNs vs having EAs running from your house

2)Optimal computer setups to run it from your house efficiently

3)If I use vpn.. Can they steal my robot? my code??

4)Efficient and cheap vpn websites

5)Is the vpn service from metatrader any good... also question #3 here.. I think its kinda the no brainer choice but still...

1) Just run an EA from your house first. If connection is stable, electricity is cheap or your machine doesn't overheat, then its better than getting a VPS.

2) Have only your EA running. Disable all other services/programs.

3) No.

4) Not sure if you meant VPS or VPN. Either way, can't link them here. You'll have to google on your own.

5) Depends on the VPN.

Qoyyuum Kadir:

2) Have only your EA running. Disable all other services/programs.

I agree with this. I would go a step further to say:

Run it on a separate bare metal box or, at a minimum, a Virtual Machine. If you have your EA running on your regular computer, on the same MT4/MT5 you are watching/developing on, all sorts of things could happen. You might apply Windows Updates which requires a reboot, or you may accidentally close the chart window, or you may accidentally close the separate instance of MT4/MT5, etc.

Thank you very much!!! yes I know I have to test it with real data and real time to test it correctly and to be honest I havent done that yet... will continue looking for vpn services... thank you again and if you have anything to add please do!

Im really interested in trading and you have to love this to do great things... didnt mean to berate your jobs/hobbies when I said "this nonsense"in the opening post ...that was just silly talk.

I would really appreciate it if someone could email a good vpn service since it cannot be done here... <removed>

good day peeps! adn for real... thank you again!

palepalepale:

Thank you very much!!! yes I know I have to test it with real data and real time to test it correctly and to be honest I havent done that yet... will continue looking for vpn services... thank you again and if you have anything to add please do!

Im really interested in trading and you have to love this to do great things... didnt mean to berate your jobs/hobbies when I said "this nonsense"in the opening post ...that was just silly talk.

I would really appreciate it if someone could email a good vpn service since it cannot be done here... <removed>

good day peeps! adn for real... thank you again!

The MT4 VPS is quite good, frankly i'd stick with it.

Reason: