EMA Cross EA

Hello,

I got this trading strategy from a friend who trades equities. Looks like I am getting good results so far. The strategy is pretty simple:

Components: 4EMA, 10EMA, 50SMA

BUY: 4EMA crosses up 10EMA and both are above 50SMA - StopLoss=Lowest point in last 5 bars - TrailStop=20 - TakeProfit=60

SELL: 4EMA crosses down 10EMA and both are below 50SMA - StopLoss=Highest point in last 5 bars - TrailStop=20 - TakeProfit=60

Safety Stop= when price moves a certain amount of pips, place Stop at breakeven - this is an option I tried when experimenting with the strategy but I am not using it now - I kept it in the EA

I am posting here for two reasons:

1 - I am not a coder... not even close!! If anyone can go through the EA and improve on the coding would really be helpful. The EA should work on multiple pairs, I am not sure if I got this part of the EA correct.

2 - Improve on the exit strategy, Trail stop is good enough but maybe the exit can be improved further.

I have attached the EA and the tester report. No modelling quality so I have no idea how accurate the results are.

Cheers!

- pete

Files:

Still testing and seems that emaPrd=4 && sigPrd=6 are giving slightly better results

Hello friends. 

Please what time frame did you use the EA on and also what types of commodities did your friend use it on?

Thanks

Dp

pete42:

I got this trading strategy from a friend

1 - I am not a coder...

The EA should work on multiple pairs,

2 - Improve on the exit strategy, 

1. Why did you post your MT4 question in the MT5 Systems section instead of the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page?)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum?
    Next time post in the correct place. The moderators will likely move this thread there soon.

2. Some friend; a simple crossover hasn't been profitable for decades. You could have gone to the codebase and got it yourself.

3. MT4: Learn to code it.
    MT5: Begin learning to code it.
    If you don't learn MQL4/5, there is no common language for us to communicate. If we tell you what you need, you can't code it. If we give you the code, you don't know how to integrate it into your code.

or pay (Freelance) someone to code it. Top of every page is the link Code Base.
              Hiring to write script - General - MQL5 programming forum 2019.08.21

4. It doesn't use a magic number nor filter trades by symbol, therefor it can not be used on multiple charts.

Magic number only allows an EA to identify its trades from all others. Using OrdersTotal/OrdersHistoryTotal (MT4) or PositionsTotal (MT5), directly and/or no Magic number filtering on your OrderSelect / Position select loop means your code is incompatible with every EA (including itself on other charts and manual trading.)
              Symbol Doesn't equal Ordersymbol when another currency is added to another seperate chart . - MQL4 programming forum 2013.02.15
              PositionClose is not working - MQL5 programming forum 2020.02.21
              MagicNumber: "Magic" Identifier of the Order - MQL4 Articles 24 July 2006
              Orders, Positions and Deals in MetaTrader 5 - MQL5 Articles Small>1 February 2011

5. Define "improve." Until you can state your strategy in concrete terms, it can not be coded.

MQL5 forum: Trading Systems
MQL5 forum: Trading Systems
  • www.mql5.com
Discussion topics about algorithmic trading - development of automated trading systems and trading robots
Reason: