06/2018 Meta Trader has stopped working with Linux - page 2

kypa:

Lag should depend on level of virtualization. If it's fully hardware there should be none, otherwise there is emulation which gets in the way. Newer versions of VirtualBox have the capability I think, so it should be CPU and settings dependent.

VPSes probably run Hyper-V or ESXi, which are designed for full hardware virtualization. They don't emulate anything, they can't run on hardware that doesn't have the capabilities.

I also don't see the point to run two OSes for a single program. Either Linux+Wine or dual-boot.

As for OP's problem - try adding Windows libraries from winecfg or winetricks. A similar problem in the past was solved by adding winhttp.

It does not work anymore.

It used to but i have tried multiple times now and it dos not work anymore.

If you want to give it a try by all means do so, but i have concluded that the things that used to work without any problem what so ever, stopped working today.

1. RAM is cheap. If it's a ram issue buy more ram.
    How much are you willing to invest in your trading account, but you are unwilling to have the proper hardware to run the software?

2. Metatrader is a trading application developed for the MICROSOFT WINDOWS operating system.
    While it is true that it "might" run on Linux (or Mac OS) via Wine, more than likely you will experience problems which will prevent you from fully using the system.

3. Your viable options are:
    • Get an inexpensive computer that runs Windows.

• Lease a Windows computer from a hosting company that provides such services.

• On your own computer, run VBox or some virtual environment which has Windows installed on it.

• Set your computer up to allow for DUAL BOOTING, and install Windows on it's own dedicated hard drive partition.
      Then when you want to run Metatrader, just boot into Windows.

Terminal, live update, setup - all work fine on my PC.

Have you tried wine-staging?

It does not work anymore.

What used to work out of the box, has stopped working.

I used to pop in a live dvd and just run the installer, without problems.

Those day's are gone now, it makes me very sad. 

What OS and Wine version do you have? I run mt5setup two hours ago and it worked (downloaded and installed the terminal, didn't ask for proxy). Existing installation auto updated to build 1861, started just fine, never asked for proxy.

I rarely use MT5 on Linux, so it's completely possible it has been broken and is still broken in Wine Stable and I haven't noticed. But in current Staging it's fixed.

I got Staging instead of Stable because of an earlier issue with MT5 by the way, 64 bit complained about a running debugger and refused to start.

wine-staging + mt5-amd64.exe
and no problem.

P.S. Do not delete the link. Stable version.

Yes a copy of the exe works, but not the installer.

I have tried several distributions, that used to work without any issue.

But they all ask for the proxy now.

The wine version ?  the one that comes with the distro or the last stable.

It's ok i stopped trying and will just give it some time.

I have is worth debian. Repository
deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ stretch main
the latest stable wine-staging

There is also wine-development, distributions might have it included in own repositories together with wine-stable. Even if not the latest it will still be ahead of staging and might also have the recent fixes.

Bugs happen all the time, but Wine devs take seriously Metatrader functionality (I hope MQ or brokers pay them for it). However it takes months for fixes to be accepted in stable and distributions often have horribly outdated versions. You shouldn't really count on wine-stable.

Jack Thomas:
  1. RAM is cheap

Where?  It's like >150$ for 16GB which is bare minimum for Windows 10.  That's not "cheap."  I mean, if you're a millionaire, I guess it is...  But in relative terms compared to times past memory is very expensive and so are video cards.

Anyway, I use VMs and they are horrible solutions for desktop programs because they are simply too awkward.  I use mine as servers, so they run in the background and do their thing.  But for desktop programs?  I can't imagine using a VM in that way other than to test software.

Reason: