The incredible resilience of MT4 vs MT5. - page 2

Custom symbols and custom datafeeds in Metatrader 5
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page99#comment_4845101 
How to Start with Metatrader 5
  • www.mql5.com
I decided to create this thread to help to myself and to the others to start with Metatrader 5...

New MetaEditor: the projects, new MQL5 Storage system and new project management system (and with github):
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page106#comment_5737344
  • www.mql5.com
I decided to create this thread to help to myself and to the others to start with Metatrader 5...

PipsFisherman:

I think - it may be enough proof related to MT5 for example.

Hello Sergey,

Thank you for all your links and informations.
There is definitively many good reasons to shift from
MT4 to MT5, but it seems majority of users are not yet ready to do so
and many brokers as well are not offering the right support for MT5 for the moment.
On a technical part yes, MT5 is definitively better than MT4.

As a programmer I find it really sad that people still prefer the old Metatrader 4 over Metatrader 5 because MQL5 has so much more to offer in terms of speed and overall functionality.
I agree with you that this is probably due to the fact that most of the brokers don't support the new platform, maybe partly because of the increased complexity it brings with it.

Thus, it is needless to say that I will have to adapt my products to MQL4 as well, otherwise I won't be able to target the larger group of customers.

MT5= windows 8.1

MT4= windows 7 pro

mt4 wins

Hi Christian,

I totally agree. 

On a total technical point of view MT5 is over MT4 and bring much more opportunities in term of product development, data access, tick, depth and so on.
But on a "business" point of view, the vast majority of end users are still using mt4 and broker as well, meaning until this users/traders adopt mt5 we still
need to develop and propose solution on MT4. One good solution would be to be able to convert easily old MT4 indicator and strategies to MT5 and people
would still continue to have their habits. But seems to not be the case.

Christian Peters:

As a programmer I find it really sad that people still prefer the old Metatrader 4 over Metatrader 5 because MQL5 has so much more to offer in terms of speed and overall functionality.
I agree with you that this is probably due to the fact that most of the brokers don't support the new platform, maybe partly because of the increased complexity it brings with it.

Thus, it is needless to say that I will have to adapt my products to MQL4 as well, otherwise I won't be able to target the larger group of customers.

Ask yourself the good questions :

most brokers don't support MT5 just because end-users do not want it, and do not ask for it.

If 8 years after the release of a product, the product is not wanted by users, this is a good hint that there is something deeply wrong with it.

Ok MT5 has faster execution and extended functions, but the extended complexity of the langage is ejecting 90% of potential coders

Why not just give MT4 all of the more obvious benefits of MT5 instead? Cause no one would use "MT5" then much? Didn't try at all after checking out (which is honestly all that I've been able to dabble into mt5 as Im pretty busy breaking my head with mt4 already  with real life time constraints) https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/188554 where I caught the notion that MT5 actually forces you to mess with buffers just to get something as simple as current macd. As if MT4 isn't that hard to new programmers anyway. I was actually thinking "MT5 should be easy, I already know MT4! Shuold be a 1 weekend type thing to switch over!" How wrong I was! Really put me off how purposefully and unnecessarily "more advanced must equal more complicated" this seemed to me and as someone coming from MT4, I'm sure its not impossible to transition, however it really seemed like learning a completely new language to me enough to put it off until completely necessary which will be in like 10 years because there is absolutely no reason a broker should stop offering MT4 other than some mysterious force trying to shove MT5 down everyone's throat against their will. They just don't care about the time everyone has invested into MT4 and take it for granted. Should stop pushing anything on the traders and let them use what they want. No excuse not to update mt4 and no "technical reason" will do to convince me so skip the bad excuses. Improving MT4 should have not have resulted in forcing us to learn what seems to be a half completely new unnecessarily more difficult new language. Its like the "Pro", more difficult version of MT4 that you need to reach a certain level of programming proficiency to use. As if this need be the case so that only the little club of elite professional programmers can use it while everyone else is on beta salivating about your elite privileges.

It really made me angry; I wanted to transition however real life gets in the way, learing to program on your own is already half impossible. MT5 has novelty language written all over it there is no excuse they dont just update MT4 with most important things. MT5 is obviously better bla bla bla however theres something funny about them not wanting to improve mt4 to mt5 obvious benefits because of "bla bla" bad excuses. For example for me its literally either learning MT5 or learning API stuff for new exchanges so I'm not sure about the time investment to actual real profit reward ratio there. 

Its like no Automated Trading on Android, because its allegedly too dangerous for the traders. Gimme a break like we can't decide on our owns. 

HELP! How to Call MACD indicator in MT5 EA
HELP! How to Call MACD indicator in MT5 EA
  • www.mql5.com
Hi everyone,I got used to call macd indicator in MT4 in a very simple way and now I've got to switch in MT5 and things look deeply differentsSo exp...

nadiawicket:

For me its literally either learning MT5 or learning API stuff for BTC

Python has wrappers for almost every crypto-exchange API. Learn python so you can stop trading CFDs with predatory slippage/spreads/commissions and start trading actual BTC.

Reason: