To Moderators and Admin: Problem with SPAM in Private Messages - page 2

Fernando Carreiro:

I somewhat disagree, because I don't really understand this "other scenario" you are describing. Why would users just have profiles merely for PM, when there are plenty of better Private Messaging systems around?

Besides, the "pause" will be easily circumvented by having multiple "fake" accounts and doing a round-robin SPAM attack.

PS! Just received yet another SPAM PM while I was writing this!

Dealing with that kind of spammers is more or less an everyday routine (Sergey knows it, I know it and a lot of people know it).

Restricting all users because of spammers is and never was a solution to any forum - multiple reasons (not going to elaborate here who actually could benefit from imposing restrictions of that kind on any forum) but that will lead to simply posting nonsense on forum just in order to get PM rights. Now that would be something (posts like : "I am posting just to get PM rights" are not something that any forum should be proud of)

Enrique Dangeroux: Agree, but the rating system is also being abused. Once posted on the forum one gets bombarded with friend requests from total strangers trying to boost their rating, promote their signals or products. Less annoying, but still annoying.

One thing I never understood, is why MetaQuotes decided to adopt a forum system which totally ignores or does not implement many of the measures and features common among almost all other websites.

Mladen Rakic:

Dealing with that kind of spammers is more or less an everyday routine (Sergey knows it, I know it and a lot of people know it).

Restricting all because of spammers is and never was a solution to any forum - multiple reasons (not going to elaborate here who actually could benefit from imposing restrictions of that kind on any forum) but that will lead to simply posting nonsense on forum just in order to get PM rights. Now that would be something (posts like : "I am posting just to get PM rights" are not something that any forum should be proud of)

What would you suggest to improve the condition and fight this.

In the very least, there could be a "Complain" button on PM's!

Also, these SPAM messages are exact copies of each other! They could implement "blocking" duplicate messages to an extent!

EDIT! Maybe they could implement a combination of the "pause", blocking "duplicates" and having a "Complain " button.

Fernando Carreiro:

One thing I never understood, is why MetaQuotes decided to adopt a forum system which totally ignores or does not implement many of the measures and features common among almost all other websites.

Now that is a much, much better question :) But I would not expect an answer any time soon ...

Fernando Carreiro:

What would you suggest to improve the condition and fight this.

In the very least, there could be a "Complain" button on PM's!

Also, these SPAM messages are exact copies of each other! They could implement "blocking" duplicate messages to an extent!

EDIT! Maybe they could implement a combination of the "pause", blocking "duplicates" and having a "Complain " button.

Complain button is a must. And some other tools (the tools that are obviously missing in the moderators tools and that are designed for PM spamming cases) - right now they are obviously not able to ban an IP of a newly created user that does not post on forum but just floods with PMs

Mladen Rakic: Now that is a much, much better question :) But I would not expect an answer any time soon ...
Yes, and I also believe that this thread will be mostly a "rant" on our parts as I am certain they will not do anything about it and it will just continue to be business as usual!

Obiously the forum is the lowest priority considering it does not directly make money. There is a lot of things to do to the forum to really make something out of it. I have spoken to a few moderators, they are willing but hands tied. MQ calls the shots.

I do think the spam will be of a higher priority and is likely to be addressed considering it hurts the market and thus the cash.

Enrique Dangeroux:

Obiously the forum is the lowest priority considering it does not directly make money. There is a lot of things to do to the forum to really make something out of it. I have spoken to a few moderators, they are willing but hands tied. MQ calls the shots.

I do think the spam will be of a higher priority and is likely to be addressed considering it hurts the market and thus the cash.

As I see it (personal observation), everything MetaQuotes does, it does based on its own directives and policies. There is no sort of user experience based policy for changes or improvements.

Almost all other software brands, have some kind of policy aimed at collecting user views, commentary, suggestions, bug reports, etc. and then using that to improve the products based on the user experience.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of that with MetaQuote's software and services, which is a great pity!

Me too, but I have suggested to the Service Desk:

1. allow private messages if rating > 10 (e.g.?) or certain number of posts,
  2. if a user's post was deleted because of spam he receives a couple of negative rating points,
  3. posting the first private message a week after the registration!
May be you can support this?

i have suggested a captcha upon registration because it seems to be too easy for them to register 5 accounts in two hrs.

Also i suggested a Http:// and Https:// and www. filter to block topics with an URL in the topic title because this would get rid of lot of the spam on the forum.

Reason: