How to install MT4 Indicators? - page 14

Hi,
As fairly new to MT4, I am seeing dice as to something strange which seems to be happening.
When I try to do the following (which is the usual way to place custom indicators into MT4): Click on File > Open Data Folder. Once it opens, click on MQL4, then on Indicators and then paste the indicator I have downloaded”, it doesn’t copy. The file just springs back to its initial position.
In short, there is no way I can get the custom indicators into MT4.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ewol

Ewol #: As fairly new to MT4, I am seeing dice as to something strange which seems to be happening. When I try to do the following (which is the usual way to place custom indicators into MT4): Click on File > Open Data Folder. Once it opens, click on MQL4, then on Indicators and then paste the indicator I have downloaded”, it doesn’t copy. The file just springs back to its initial position. In short, there is no way I can get the custom indicators into MT4. Can anyone help?
Once you click "File → Open Data Folder", you are working with Windows Explorer, and no longer in MetaTrader. Meaning that there is an issue with your Windows operating system and not MetaTrader.

Fernando Carreiro #:
Once you click "File → Open Data Folder", you are working with Windows Explorer, and no longer in MetaTrader. Meaning that there is an issue with your Windows operating system and not MetaTrader.

Tx. Fernando,

I am actually working with a MAC (not Windows), but I take your point. As a result I have installed an update to the new version of OS, but the problem persists.

Thanks anyway,

Ewol.

Ewol #:

Tx. Fernando,

I am actually working with a MAC (not Windows), but I take your point. As a result I have installed an update to the new version of OS, but the problem persists.

Thanks anyway,

Ewol.

Hi, did you installed "Play on mac" software?

Grzegorz Pawlak #:

Hi, did you installed "Play on mac" software?

HI Grzegorz,

No I didn't install that software. I can try.

What confuses me is that the MAC will copy those files to any other directory (to an external HD, to a flash drive, to any other directory on the MAC9, but not to that specific one when I open it in MT4.

Ewol #: What confuses me is that the MAC will copy those files to any other directory (to an external HD, to a flash drive, to any other directory on the MAC9, but not to that specific one when I open it in MT4.

Then why not copy the indicators and EAs to the respective folder directly from within operating system while MetaTrader is not running.

The first time you use"File → Open Data Folder", take note of the resulting folder (copy it digitally and save it somewhere), then close MetaTrader and just use normal OS operations.

If the problem persists, then the permissions on those folders need to be checked and altered.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Then why not copy the indicators and EAs to the respective folder directly from within operating system while MetaTrader is not running.

The first time you use"File → Open Data Folder", take note of the resulting folder (copy it digitally and save it somewhere), then close MetaTrader and just use normal OS operations.

If the problem persists, then the permissions on those folders need to be checked and altered.

Tried than, Fernando. I copied them to MQL INDICATORS (Manually), seeking out that folder and then copying them. And they copy. Hoiwever, when I open Navigator in MT, it doesn’t see tyhem, so I can’t use them. I also checked the permissions.

Ewol #: Tried than, Fernando. I copied them to MQL INDICATORS (Manually), seeking out that folder and then copying them. And they copy. Hoiwever, when I open Navigator in MT, it doesn’t see tyhem, so I can’t use them. I also checked the permissions.

Please remember to compile the "mq?" files, just in case MetaTrader is not compiling them automatically on start-up.

I have no experience with Mac, but from the many posts I have seen over the years on the forum, related to the Mac, MetaTrader certainly behaviours very strangely on many occasions.

So I would suggest, opening the MetaEditor and compiling each and every "mq?" file you have copied before restarting MetaTrader again to see if it can use them.

By the way, I am assuming these indicators are either ".mq4" or ".ex4" files for MetaTrader 4 and not zip files or anything else of the sort, correct?

Hi Fernan do,

Thanks. Yes, I have compiled them from within Metatrader.

Fernando Carreiro #:
By the way, I am assuming these indicators are either ".mq4" or ".ex4" files for MetaTrader 4 and not zip files or anything else of the sort, correct?

Yes, I have two files. One is .mq4 and the other .ex4.

Reason: