Alternatives for Those Running XP Computers

I thought it was strange that both of my brokers are upgrading my MT4 on my Windows 7 laptop computer but, doing absolutely nothing on my XP Professional desktop. It seemed as if they were telling me that support for XP would not be forthcoming. Now that Microsoft has officially announced discontinued support for XP on April 8, 2014 some of us with a small fortune in hardware are looking for alternate platforms for computer currently running XP.

Does anyone know of versions of MT4 running on Linux? Also, if new hardware is in order why stay with Windows? Are versions available for Android, Chrome, Mac OS etc. I Invite those with experience with alternate platforms to comment.

Some of the info in this link can help to get the most out of your XP computer but, doesn't solve the problem of trying to run new versions of MT4 on an operating system that is no longer supported.

How to keep your PC secure when Microsoft ends Windows XP support | PCWorld

My intentions are firm. If there is a version of MT4 for Linux I will use that rather than buy a new machine.

I am not very familiar with Linux but, I have been blessed with sons who are expert in computer systems and programming. Based on research I have done I will likely have one of them install Linux on my current XP desktop and run MT4 under Linux. One of my brokers has a Linux version.

http://www.ibfx.com/Education/Install-MT4-On-Linux

I am using 2 hard disks setup with 2 operating systems (just in case)

Used linux for some time (ubuntu) but in some cases it simply could not handle windows applications

Windows 7 can work on your existing windows xp hardware, in-fact lesser blue screens, more reliable and if windows got corrupt you don't have to re-install the whole operating system like in xp, just run the windows repair tools in win7 and your back to work.

If you have a dual core processor with 4gb ram, should be enough. Or else just add some ram to your existing pc.

Best,

Nick

mr_nims:
Windows 7 can work on your existing windows xp hardware, in-fact lesser blue screens, more reliable and if windows got corrupt you don't have to re-install the whole operating system like in xp, just run the windows repair tools in win7 and your back to work.

If you have a dual core processor with 4gb ram, should be enough. Or else just add some ram to your existing pc.

Best,

Nick

That doesn't sound too painful if I can accomplish the following: 1- Install another drive D: and tell the computer in setup to boot from the D-drive and then keep all my programs on the C-drive. Is that doable? Or would there be all kinds of problems with registries and DLLs in the wrong places? Or other problems such as printer and scanner drivers being in the wrong places? You seem quite knowledgeable Nick. Your thoughts, please?

kindest regards,

gcg

If your motherboard allows, then you can change the disk you are booting from. You can have common data but you will have to install some applications twice (like office). That way you can always chose which OS to boot

Also, one alternative could be using a virtual PC (like the virtual box from here : https://www.virtualbox.org/ - it is a free application). That way you can test it in a virtual PC before deciding what system to use in regular PC deployment (or even keep it as a kind of testing ground - I use it when I am not sure that there is a virus in something and that way a virus can not attack my "main" system, but only the virtual PC)

gcgman:
That doesn't sound too painful if I can accomplish the following: 1- Install another drive D: and tell the computer in setup to boot from the D-drive and then keep all my programs on the C-drive. Is that doable? Or would there be all kinds of problems with registries and DLLs in the wrong places? Or other problems such as printer and scanner drivers being in the wrong places? You seem quite knowledgeable Nick. Your thoughts, please?

kindest regards,

gcg

Hi Gcg,

If your intention is to have two separate kinds of OS, like windows and linux. You could probably mske two partitions on the same disk and use free dual boot software like EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

To boot any OS at system startup, without fiddling with bios settings.

Or you can use a new hard drive for a new OS for that instead of two partitions on the same disk.

If your planning to keep xp and add win7, it won't make much sense. Because almost 90% of all winxp stuff works out of the box on win7.

You could just upgrade to windows 7 pro and perhaps add some ram to match 4gb or more.

Just to make you sure, the new build 610 will only work on xp, win7 and above. It may not work on linux or even using Apple Os with crossover.

Because the new build 600+ uses a different file management and data folder placement system

C:\documents and settings\administrator\common\metaquotes\ in windowsxp

C:\users\administrator\appdata\roaming\metaquotes\common in windows7

Best,

Nick

If you have low ram, take directly windows 8, on desktop and with antivirus and firewall it takes only 400 Mo

gcgman:

kindest regards,

gcg

The reason I wanted to set up a new opsys on another drive is because I have a ton of software installed and it is a royal pain where I sit to re-install all of that software. I did that just a couple of years ago when I had to replace the hard drive and I didn't want to go down that road again. Obviously, I will if I have to. Fortunately, the reason I replaced the hard drive is because there was an error in a sector with the opsys and not because the drive wouldn't work. So I put in a new drive with the opsys and converted the old drive into an external USB drive and loaded all my data back on after re-installing the programs.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

gcg

Reason: