Requests & Ideas - page 3

Hey Mladen,

Just to clarify the numbers, I tried manually backtesting the numbers using Days back 1.

I found that the numbers were not matching the true High Low Range? Could you verify?

They are sometimes not going to match in cases when there are gaps (like the usual Sunday gaps) Also, you should compare it to daily atr (since this one is effectively calculating daily range for the chosen time filter, and not a true range - it disregards gaps. It must do so or else the concept of time filter would be rendered useless : the "previous closes" would connect the left out (filtered) data in a lot of cases)

Here is one quick mtf atr and their comparison (days back 1 on both and 0 for time shift, the lower is the atr mtf - daily time frame)

If you need the atr - walander to be able to apply it to any time frame, than I have to make some modifications (I was doing this one according to your original post where you mention days and daily ranges)

regards

mladen

Walander:
Hey Mladen,

Just to clarify the numbers, I tried manually backtesting the numbers using Days back 1.

I found that the numbers were not matching the true High Low Range? Could you verify?
Files:

Hey Mladen,

I think that isn't necessary. My comment was more of a verification than a comment on error. I was simply trying to do some error "leg-work" because, you are after all, the one coding. I should be at least able to provide some help or details!

If you have any more improvements to the indicator, they are more than welcome to add them.

Thankyou for coding it again.

Walander, you are welcome

I appreciate you "leg work" and I do understand. After all that is a normal process when something is coded. Errors are nasty and I, among others, really dislike them. Also, I imagine that you as the initiator of this indicator stand on the same side as I do : no errors. The only way to reach that is by communicating and that is what we are doing. And since even I am not infallible (just see some posts back in this thread and the error that happened ) feedback is much appreciated.

So much words, for one short sentence in the end : if you or anybody notice error (not just in this indicator), please do post about it. Spotting an error is sometimes the hardest to do and I can only be grateful when someone helps to make something errorless

regards

mladen

Walander:
Hey Mladen,

I think that isn't necessary. My comment was more of a verification than a comment on error. I was simply trying to do some error "leg-work" because, you are after all, the one coding. I should be at least able to provide some help or details!

If you have any more improvements to the indicator, they are more than welcome to add them.

Thankyou for coding it again.

Found an error.

The indicator doesn't refresh properly "live" after a new session / session designated by the user.

My output came to something like 10.9!! I wish I was in a 1009 pip move But no such thing! Maybe the loop function is not clearing the values properly? I'm assuming its adding the previous values to the current value and recalculating the same value twice on top of each other.

Cheers,

mladen:
Walander, you are welcome

I appreciate you "leg work" and I do understand. After all that is a normal process when something is coded. Errors are nasty and I, among others, really dislike them. Also, I imagine that you as the initiator of this indicator stand on the same side as I do : no errors. The only way to reach that is by communicating and that is what we are doing. And since even I am not infallible (just see some posts back in this thread and the error that happened ) feedback is much appreciated.

So much words, for one short sentence in the end : if you or anybody notice error (not just in this indicator), please do post about it. Spotting an error is sometimes the hardest to do and I can only be grateful when someone helps to make something errorless

regards

mladen

I wish it too The questions :

Which broker?

Which symbol?

What time frame?

What parameters?

regards

mladen

Average ZigZag move in pips

I am looking for statistics for average pip range of a zigzag move The two attached indicators are close to this. it would be interesting to see average pip count on moves up vs moves down than you could compare time frames. So it would help with targets or entry. So if you take a long entry you know on average the market will turn in X number of pips Not sure if average or median would show a difference

Thanks in advance

Which broker? BrocoInvestor

Which symbol? EURJPY

What time frame? 1H (the one I placed it on)

What parameters? 15, 0, 24, 1

Numbers went awry when the new day began.

mladen:
I wish it too

The questions :

Which broker? BrocoInvestor

Which symbol? EURJPY

What time frame? 1H (the one I placed it on)

What parameters? 15, 0, 24, 0

regards

mladen

walander,

We are going to try with this one now. Unfortunately it can not be back-tested since the function used for total number of bars in daily time frame returns total number of bars during back-test and not the number of bars in the moment of back test (it "knows the future").

What I think happened : this indicator is effectively a multi time frame indicator. What I am not sure is metatrader forcing download for target time frame when iBars(some time frame) function is called. What I did is that I added a function that I know for sure that it forces data download of the target time frame (it is a simple close prices array copy, but it does that - it will download the target time frame data, and thus it will make sure that the iBars() function will return a correct number of bars) It should not add to much to the execution time and should give us the security of being sure that nothing is missing and that we have exactly the required number of elements for storing daily highs and lows

Now, we have to wait for a live test (the no back testing makes any bug harder to kill, so I ask for some patience in the case of this indicator, please)

regards

mladen

Patience! Of course not!

I will forward test and let you know of the results. I am sure this version will work! Hopefully, with my system tests, this becomes a valuable part of my quantitative analysis I have done as of late.

Cheers,

Reason: