Free Grid Trading, The New Grid EA - page 5

Hello Thorup,

I wouldn't mind if you placed any modifications of the EA you want to make here, however please rename the file to newgrid_throup so that we know that it is an EA with a contribution from you. I would say that it is clearly NOT a good idea to implement trading of a fixed equity percentage on this EA, it will just inevitably increase risk. Regarding your backtesting results I would have to say that they are unreliable as a TP of 15 makes the EA strongly subject to one minute interpolation errors of the metatrader backtester. There is also another problem with a TP of 15 which is the importance of the spread. Trading with a TP of just 15 will make the spread extremely important as well as swap interest which is likely to wipe profits away on the long term (because the TP is so small). In order for us to have only reliable results on simulation I would ask you to please only post backtesting results with a TP of at least 5 times the average spread of the pair you intend to use.

Also people should bear in mind that this 10 year backtests are made with the benefit of hindsight (because we input a range that in 2000 would have been unknown) so this should NOT encourage trading the EUR/CHF or AUD/NZD as long term set and forget strategies. Again, this EA is dangerous if left unattended and will wipe your account if you start trading it on one of these pairs at the wrong time. The ranges will NOT hold forever, this would simply make the market inefficient.

All OK

I have tested the EA (latest version posted) on forward testing on several currency pairs with grid separations from 15 to 40 pips, everything works like a charm. The EA no longer opens more than 1 position per grid line and opens positions accurately, as it should. Feel free to leave any comments on your personal test runs.

danielfppps:
I have tested the EA (latest version posted) on forward testing on several currency pairs with grid separations from 15 to 40 pips, everything works like a charm. The EA no longer opens more than 1 position per grid line and opens positions accurately, as it should. Feel free to leave any comments on your personal test runs.

Daniel,

I take it that the latest version is posted in #Post #1 right? Would it be possible for you to put a date to it so that one can see it is the latest version?

Many thanks for sharing.

Hello ValeoFX,

Latest version is on post #38. I believe it is better to post versions as they come out instead of posting the latest version in post #1 as this makes people read the thread and understand the changes and the reasons why this changes have been done. Thank you for your interest !

Mods

Hi u all

Daniel, I've made a few mods to ur excellent piece of programming, but I seem to have a few problems, making the EA not act exactly as it is suppossed to...

New features include MoneyManagement, FIFO and testing. I think martinsta was having problems with the latter, when he had multiple orders opened on the same gridline earlier - I'm guessing he was forward- and backtesting at the same time.

Could u try to run the EA, and then go through the program, to see if I accidently have made some glitches?

Yours truly

Thorup

And here it comes...

Corrections and additions

Hi all.

I've managed to clean up some errors, and furthermore add some additions.

The first EA, that I'm posting here is with full support for ECN market orders, and FIFO.

The second is with the RangeMid beeing floating adjustable in days. It's quite slow in backtests though.

Cheers, Thorup

Fixing the floating

And here I am again.

Finally figured the floating center version.

corrected and working much faster than the first floating version.

And may I add, the program has really increased in lines...

Adding MM = doubling, adding FIFO = doubling, adding Backtesting = doubling and then some...

Good luck gridtrading.

Aloha

Thorup

Hello Thorup,

Thank you for your efforts to modify the EA. However I think that it is necessary for me to comment that several of the modifications you have done are unsound. Specifically the introduction of a movable center. Certainly introducing a movable center makes people believe that a grid trading system can be "adaptive" and used in the long term as a "set and forget" strategy. Since the objective of the system is to trade a fixed range defined by a trader with experience it makes no sense to have such an adaptive feature. Of course, your effort is appreciated but you have to understand that introducing such a modification is inherently dangerous since this would encourage trading a grid systems as if it could be long term profitable which it is NOT.

If you would like to start an EA that will try to make grid trading a long term profitable choice such as by means of switches between trending/ranging markets and the definition of ranges through support and resistance please do so on a different thread as doing it on this one seriously takes the EA out of perspective. Not to discourage your programming or to be rude, I certainly appreciate your effort and participation but I would like all modifications to be geared towards making the EA a better tool, NOT into trying to make it a long term profitable strategy which it is NOT.

Again, I must emphasize that this EA is meant to be traded in a responsible manner, by an experienced trader to profit from a predefined range (which should be defined with experience by the trader) by no means should anyone trade this as a set and forget strategy or they will, I say it again, have a VERY HIGH RISK of an account wipeout.

Thank you Daniel for the EA.

I had been thinking about trying Robominer, but this is a better fit for me.

Reason: