Ranging Vs. Trending

Does anyone use 2 trading systems, one for when a market is ranging and one for when the market is trending?

Also, when do you know or how do you evaluate when to switch from one system to the next?

Since most of the time the markets range, I'm trying to learn how and when to go from one to the other.

Any help or insight, would be much appreciated.

Thanks....

If you knew that, you'd be a millionaire overnight. It simply isn't possible to reliably detect when a market is ranging or trending.

Food for thought: it's easier to reliably determine if a market is ranging than trending. If a market is ranging, it could throw a madrid of false "trend" signals. You then get whipsawed.

Forex Market Conditions, a graphic depiction.

Many people are using the different way to estimate the market condition. The best was as I know is standard indicators in Metatrader.

I just colected some way for estimation.

Because estimation the market condition is somwething about what will be in the future, right (breakout, flat, etc)?

Personally I am using Ichimoku charts (see the links below) for D1/H4 timeframes, digital filters for D1 and W1 and asctrend M5 for M5 timeframe (intraday estimation).

But please find all the links on our forum concerning this subject.

You may use any system, or create your own.

how to estimate and predict the market conditions (choppy, trend etc): the post with many links.

some usefull indicators explanation is here.

digital filters' trading systems: trading system thread, generator of digital filters, indicators' description, download digital filters indicators, template with indicators.

ZZi version of the CCI for OverBought and OverSold levels is here.

Divergence: indicators, links, explanations and so on.

Momentum indicator: all the links.

MaksiGen Trading system (light Paramon):many veriations of the system is here, examples of market condition is in the end of this thread.

forecasting indicators: public thread.

'Trend indicators' thread: indicators to detect the trend.

evaluation of the market condition using six SMA indicators: original public thread.

Channel trading system is here.

- SHI Indicators is here.

- Highest high for an indicator: explanational thread.

AscTrend System.

- M5 asctrend trading system. Elite section system. Based on 3 templates. For trading, or for evaluation of the market condition. Templates, thread (the rules to trade are different and depends on the market condition - posted inside the thread in different posts).

Ichimoku chart/system with forecasting possibility:

- thread (with explanation, market condition estimation and forecasting) is here and here,

- some template is here,

- indicators are here,

- MTF Ichimoku indicators is here,

- new Ichimoku indicators are here and here (thanks fxbs).

B]Trend /Reversal /Continuation HELPER: original thread of very good indicator

Forgot about some very simple way:

market condition evaluation (incl choppy zones) and prediction using MTF_AbsoluteStrength_v1 indicator: original thread with indicators, live trading results and images; how to use indicator (rules): read all the pages starting from this page till this one.

Just came across this..

Golly marcf, you gotta give credit where it's due, mate!

(You would think with such a brilliant reply that the original poster may have acknowledged it...)

In any case, I will. Huge Thanks to NewDigital for your comprehensive help on this topic...

I like this indicator for determining ranging or trending condition.

Right now I always use Ichimoku charts. It's really impossible to predict when market is ranging or trending. Maybe, automaticall trading can do it, meaning EA.

PeterParker:
Right now I always use Ichimoku charts. It's really impossible to predict when market is ranging or trending. Maybe, automaticall trading can do it, meaning EA.

Ichimoku charts are very helpful if you are able to Fully understand them and use. A change in the volatility from low to high is a good enough indication of the emerging trend.

Automatic EA based trading is out of anyone's control and it all depends on the coding for that particular EA which may or may not be profitable for you.

About trend trading, I don't know where else to share the e-book since this is a right topic. I hope this e-book may help you

trendtrading.rar

Regards,

Files:
trendtrading.rar  225 kb

Doesn't it suppose to be Market Raging vs. Ranging?

Pava:
Doesn't it suppose to be Market Raging vs. Ranging?

Their is a basic difference between Ranging and Trending.

Ranging = The markets are moving in a narrow bounded range and thus their is no clear directional trends yet visible or on which we can put our trades.

Trending = The markets have formed out a Top or Bottom already and thus we will see them either going Up or Down maybe over the coming 1 or 2 days which is the way we need to trade in order to get Profits.

Reason: