Ranging Vs. Trending - page 2

Forex Market Conditions, a graphic depiction

breakout to downside = breakdown (forex term).

breakout to upside is breakout.

Primary market trend:

- bullish and bearish.

Secondary market trend

- correction. A correction is a downward movement that is not large enough to be a bear market.

- bear market rally (or market rally). consist of a market price increase of only 10% or 20% and then bear market trend resumes.

There is ranging market as primary trend (bullish and bearish trend going on the same time).

And there is non-trading market condition (primary trend too): not bullish and not bearish on the same time (flat).

People are using W1, D1 or H4 for forex analysis, for trading - it can be estimated on any timeframe (depends on which timeframe is used by trader).

Howto:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/173439

newdigital:

People are using W1, D1 or H4 for forex analysis, for trading - it can be estimated on any timeframe (depends on which timeframe is used by trader).

I normally use a combination of time frames. I use the H1 along with the M15 to oversee the persistent Intraday channel formation and using that Data i will decide on the trades.

ranging or trending I think it's just a matter of point of view, so the difference of reference it will differentiate the results of the analysis

Everytime I only realise the market is ranging instead of breakout when i bought a position and it goes down hit my SL. I trade breakout system

Probably the problem for "trending" or "ranging" market finding is what are traders looking at at the first place.

I know some professional traders that claim that there are no trends and they trade on 1 minute or 5 minute chart. Of course that there is no "trend" on those chart. Looking for "trends" on those charts is like trying to insert a thread into needle while jumping on trampoline. Expecting that all the participants in all the trades are going to think exactly the same in the same moment is unrealistic. Only when all is added and subtracted the trend can be seen. That is why trends should be looked for on a higher time frames. And since "ranging" is a sub-category of "trending", the same should be applied to it too

mladen:
Probably the problem for "trending" or "ranging" market finding is what are traders looking at at the first place. I know some professional traders that claim that there are no trends and they trade on 1 minute or 5 minute chart. Of course that there is no "trend" on those chart. Looking for "trends" on those charts is like trying to insert a thread into needle while jumping on trampoline. Expecting that all the participants in all the trades are going to think exactly the same in the same moment is unrealistic. Only when all is added and subtracted the trend can be seen. That is why trends should be looked for on a higher time frames. And since "ranging" is a sub-category of "trending", the same should be applied to it too

Generally speaking i would say that trends are Intra-day and as such any time period less than M30 will not give a true trend for trade setups. I myself use a combination of 3 different time frames in order to come to a valid trade that can give me good amount of Profits.

Trending or ranging status should depends on the chart time frame you are looking at. Even on a 1 minute chart or a tick chart, there are relative trending periods as long as it's substantial movement (relative to that time frame) without much setbacks.

In other words, for example for 100 pips movements straight up or down, that is not enough to determine the market is trending, for 15 minute chart, maybe, but if this is a weekly chart, this movement won't signify anything.

Tma slope

HELLO MLADEN, The TMA SLOPE NORMALISED here on post 6 appears very effective as a FILTER (in combination with other proven filters),but i would appreciate if you can confirm whether it REPAINTS OR RECALCULATES,thanks for your invaluable assistance.

winner246

Yeap, it uses the centered TMA (not the "regular" TMA) in calculation, so, yes it recalculates (repaints)

winner246:
HELLO MLADEN, The TMA SLOPE NORMALISED here on post 6 appears very effective as a FILTER (in combination with other proven filters),but i would appreciate if you can confirm whether it REPAINTS OR RECALCULATES,thanks for your invaluable assistance.
Reason: