MasterMartingale v1 --- a multi-strategy EA - page 4

I had a similar problem with backtesting. i narrowed it down to a few sources:

#1 invalid trades (bad code on my part during dev)

#2 using crap data from IBFX, FXDD is much better

#3 using time frames higher than M1 (M1 cuts down the problems dramatically, tick data from broker should eliminate)

stevenmclachlan:
Well, I've been forward testing in strategy 2. The ea has had a lot of oppurtunities to profit, and has been trading a lot. But overall my account is down quite a bit.

I noticed it doesn't seem to keep doubling, I think it stops at about level 5. Sometimes it seems to stop for no real reason (or none that I can see).

There are some bugs here....

I think this is a potential winner, I'll try to figure out exactly what is causing these errors (if I can) and will post here.

Initially, it was trading consistently into small losses, but I changed the code a little (it was trading on Ask when it should have used Bid, and vice versa) and that made it profitable, but the trade points are still not hitting correctly (see above messages). I think if you're using it in single trade mode you'll have to expect your balance to show the losses that have closed until you reach a winning trade and the progression ends. If that winning trade doesn't make enough for the progression to be overall profitable, though, then something definitely isn't right. Try looking over the trade history very closely and follow each progression trade by trade. If you determine that the progressions are ending in overall loss, try to see which trades didn't reach the point they were supposed to, and maybe you'll see why they're not working out.

If you'd like to post a statement we can all look at what you're seeing and maybe come up with a diagnosis...

Forward test results

As promised, my forward test results for the past three days using v1[1].04 in mode No. 2:

Settings:

EURUSD - TP=45 SL=60

USDJPY - TP=50 SL=10

Initial lots set at 0.2 for each

Balance up $7, but outstanding trades in the hole at -$905

Yikes.

Doug

dcraig:
As promised, my forward test results for the past three days using v1[1].04 in mode No. 2:

Settings:

EURUSD - TP=45 SL=60

USDJPY - TP=50 SL=10

Initial lots set at 0.2 for each

Balance up $7, but outstanding trades in the hole at -$905

Yikes.

Doug

I suggest you start testing with a more recent version... you may be seeing some bugs there...

I thought you were trading using single trade mode (I believe that's all that's available in the version you're using..) If so, you should never see such a high negative float. As each position goes into negative by a certain amount, it would be closed, realizing the loss, and replaced with the next trade in the progression. You would see your actual balance decline with each trade until the progression reached a winning trade, at which point your balance would rebound into positive territory, as the profit from the winning trade covers all previous losses then adds a little to your account as well. If you're not seeing this kind of behaviour, then you're definitely suffering from from some execution errors. If you can post a statement, we can look it over trade by trade and see what's happening...

ZTrader:
I suggest you start testing with a more recent version... you may be seeing some bugs there... I thought you were trading using single trade mode (I believe that's all that's available in the version you're using..) If so, you should never see such a high negative float. As each position goes into negative by a certain amount, it would be closed, realizing the loss, and replaced with the next trade in the progression. You would see your actual balance decline with each trade until the progression reached a winning trade, at which point your balance would rebound into positive territory, as the profit from the winning trade covers all previous losses then adds a little to your account as well. If you're not seeing this kind of behaviour, then you're definitely suffering from from some execution errors. If you can post a statement, we can look it over trade by trade and see what's happening...

You might be right about the older version ZTrader. I'll download the most recent one (version 4 I believe, and try again). I'm a little embarrased to say that I can't find the 'report' section in order to post my statement. I've done that several times with backtest data, but never with forward testing. Like you, I was surprised that it didn't close trades prior to opening if there was a change in direction. At this point I'm guessing it was a bug.

Please don't take these earlier results as a put-down of the program, I'm just posting the forward testing data in order to help with the continued development. I really appreciate the talented people who can code these systems.

I'll open a new demo, optimize for EURUSD and USDJPY, and run it for the next week.

Thanks again.

Doug

The most recent version is 2.00.. it has the added capability of building up trades a la Terminator instead of closing each trade before opening a new one.. also I added the ability to scale up the trading progression by any value, instead of just doubling.

I'm not offended by the results you've posted, but testing an outdated and buggy version provides no useful results, so I just wanted to make sure you were putting your efforts where they will be most valuable.

As for accessing a statement, it's easy, but not obvious... just open up the Terminal window (if it's not already open) and switch to the Account History tab. The right click anywhere in the History listing and select Save As Report or Save As Detailed Report. It will create a .html file of your trading history and results. You can also use the right click menu to choose what time period is reported. Play around with it a while... you'll get it.

Statement

Attached is my statement for the forward testing of the latest version

(2.00). I optimized using data from the preceeding two months for both EURUSD and USDJPY and let it run a little over 24 hours, then added GBPUSD. Things were going quite well; I was up a little over $100 in a little more than 36 hours, then it went bust. It appears as though the USDJPY trading started trading a large number of lots when it started losing. Any suggestions?

Doug

Files:

Lets Go !!!

Dear friends,

I am testing with the other Martigale strats, Goblin and Predator. The initial trade decisions are sometimes plane stupid. Me initiating the trades manualy and than a Martingale EA taking the hard folow up work over so that I can go to bed ... should be great.

Go on with this treath this EA has potential.

Pipperoni

I've been out of commission for a few days and haven't made any progress on this one, but I hope to get back to it very soon...

@ Pipperoni:

Manual trade entries with Martingale-style management is an intriguing suggestion... sort of a hybrid philosophy. I'm not sure how one would implement it, but I think the concept bears further consideration...

I've been forward testing this strategy for a while and it really needs deep pockets to work...

But it doesn't fully work anyway, the doubling stops at a certain point. Please see the attached statement...

Files:
Reason: