"Phoenix - FAQ, Stable, User support -Read Post #1"

11-17-2006 Uploaded Initial Versions:

How to Use the EA

How to Optimize EA for Specific Pairs

11-18-2006 Loading Historical Data Issues

I was having some issues getting historical data to load into my testing version of MT4(200). It would not load any *.hst files. I found that the file type dropdown box HAS TO SAY filetype(*.hst). It CANNOT SAY filetype(*.*). It wont work. D

11-19-2006 Alpari DataBank Location & Optimization

There appears to be some confusion about this. In Order to effectively backtest and optimize settings you must use a version of MT4 that is OFFLINE. (Please refer to the FAQ below"Phoenix How to get Modeling Quality 90"

This is so that automatic history downloads do not corrupt your testing data.

"The history Center is not allowing me to import Alpari Historical Data."

There is a bug in the history importer requiring you to choose a filetype of *.hst instead of *.*.

You must be using a disconnected version of MT4. If you are using a live version your history data will become polluted.

Alpari has changed their databank location with the reshuffling of their website. The new Location is here:

http://www.alpari-idc.ru/en/dc/databank.php

Here's an alternate link to the UK Alpari History Centre:

http://www.alpari.co.uk/en/dc/databank.html

and the US History Centre:

http://www.alpari-idc.com/en/dc/databank.html

WHAT SETTINGS ARE AFFECTED BY PREFSETTINGS?

Mode2_OpenTrade_2 = 0;

Mode2_TakeProfit = 50;

Mode2_StopLoss = 60;

Mode3_CloseTrade2_3 = 30;

Mode3_TakeProfit = 100;

Mode3_StopLoss = 55;

Percent = 0.0032;

EnvelopePeriod = 2;

TakeProfit = 42;

StopLoss = 84;

TrailingStop = 0;

SMAPeriod = 2;

SMA2Bars = 18;

OSMAFast = 5;

OSMASlow = 22;

OSMASignal = 2;

Fast_Period = 25;

Slow_Period = 15;

DVBuySell = 0.0029;

DVStayOut = 0.024;

all of these settings are INSIDE the code. if PrefSettings=true these settings are used. If PrefSettings=False then your own settings are used.

For Optimization and backtesting PrefSettings=False. for Live or Demo/Testing prefsettings=True.

For even more information see post #4.

depictureboy:
Reseving Space for Future Growth.

Absolutly a great initiative...

Let's go, new bi, for the questions...

MT4 Build200 History Data

Hi buddies,

Please pay attention if you are using the Build200 and download historical data directly from the server.

I have d/l the USDJPY 1minute data, about 118Mb and did some conversion. However, after backtest, I found there is no trade between 2006/09/27 to 2006/11/15. Therefore, I just get back to check the 1minute data.

Guess what's happening? Data between 2006/09/27 to 2006/11/15 are missing. See my attached picture.

Does anyone have the same observation? Maybe it is not appropriate at the present moment to use the data directly from the MT4's data centre.

P.S. I am not sure whether I should this topic here or in the original "Phoenix (New thread)"

Regards

Wilson

[attach]19168[/attach]

Files:
backtestdata.jpg  159 kb

wilson1668:

Please pay attention if you are using the Build200 and download historical data directly from the server.

There are more issues with B200. It is not suitable for use for backtesting. Data is different - worse - and results of backtesting don't reflect reality. I've already posted warning into FAQ above.

Mario

Use of "UsePrefSettings".

Hi,

I have spent a lot of time studying Phoenix and setting it up. One setting I do not fully understand is "UsePrefSettings". Which prefs is it referring to when set to true, and why should it be "true" for forward testing and live, and "false" for back testing? I have read both the original manual and the optimization guide, but I still have problems with this.

I have run optimization and ended up with a .set file I want to use for forward testing. Should "UsePrefSettings" be true or false in this case?

Help greatly appreciated.

cdysthe:

I have spent a lot of time studying Phoenix and setting it up. One setting I do not fully understand is "UsePrefSettings". Which prefs is it referring to when set to true, and why should it be "true" for forward testing and live, and "false" for back testing? I have read both the original manual and the optimization guide, but I still have problems with this.

Basically, to avoid file with settings, most settings are included into the code. PrefSettings=true is like 'point and shoot' digital camera. All settings included, will work automatically, don't worry for darkness, speed of the object.... just use it.

When backtesting, then you will need to change and play with many settings, while looking for best result, so you are turning off your automatic point and shoot camera and you are start using manual settings. Hence PrefSettings=false

More about settings: "The ultimate Guide2" starting page 8.

Oh, just remembered. First manual, for Forex 2007 (contest) there was sentence, that for forward testing/live trading you *have* to have set PrefSettings on true. I'm not sure if this was ment as *have to* or was only ment for most cases. I believe, you can turn PrefSettings off if you wish, using your own settings for forward testing. Let me correct someone if I'm wrong.

Two more people asked on a Yahoo thread what PrefSettings should be and what it does. I posted this reply:

True=builtin, False= settings you supply. If you enter a TP or SL level, keep PrefSettings "true" and trade a preconfigured currency pair your TP and SL levels will be overwritten. Only the currency specific data is used, the other settings like "MaxTrade" in 5.6.4 Mode 1 can still be edited and apply.

Can we get a *very thorough* explanation of PrefSettings written up to be included in the top 5 posts of this forum please?

I just started to forward test Phoenix contest version

Broker - mig FX

When the Phoenix initiated first trade I noticed weird thing that the price on the chart is not the same as in trade terminal. For example if the price on the chart is 118,10 the price in terminal window is 118,12.

Here is the question why is that and how can we change it?

The 2 pip difference between what you see on the chart and what you see on the trade window is the "spread". There are different prices for "bid" and "ask" depending if you buy or sell. There is no "fix".

Some brokers have a 2 pip spread, some currencies by the same broker have 9 pip spreads. We pay the spread twice, once on entering the trade, once on exiting the trade. This means a "commission free broker" is charging you $40 on a 2 pip spread for EURUSD.

Got that since one hour in Expert

2006.11.22 08:51:21 Phoenix_EA_v5_6_04 USDJPY,M15: OrderModify - Error # 130

Somebody explain me ? Thks

Reason: