Working with Excel (tools, indicators, conversion ...) - page 11

zupcon:
There are several ways to get the CSV data into excel.

If your using Excel 2007 there's a data tab, with the option to import from a text file.

In earlier versions you need to use the file import wizard (I dont have an old version of excel so cant remember where this is found, probably under the data menu). Once the wizard starts it guides you step by step through the process, it allows you to pick the delimiter etc, drop unwanted columns etc

You can write a macro to read text files, but its not necessary, and unless your opening hundreds of files, probably not worth the effort.

Another option is to use star office, if you double click a text file the application is sensible enough to start the import wizard, and you coud always save the spreadsheet in XLS format if you really wanted to use Excel

hope this helps

That helps enormously. In 5mins look, it looks like you can set it to update itself automatically. What I can't see is how to only import say a few rows - otherwise I end up with so much data it's very cluttered.

Once setup, because it will refresh itself automatically I presumably then only have to worry about my indicator within MT4 which creates the csv files.... I haven't worked out yet whether the indicator simply writes over the previous file.....

Excel reading & charting

Hi guys.

I have only one tiny problem.

I get data out from indicator, saved as .txt or .csv.

That's ok.

But data is like 1.5898 and excel understands value like 1,5898.

For example, if I get tick data out, I can't make any charts out from that file because Excel don't understand those numbers because of that point (.).

Same thing with my custom indicator, always point inside the numbers.

Is there any way to make it write , instead of . ?

Or anybody knows how to make that change in Excel, so it will print out chart to web and updating it every 5sec?

Dde

Hi

You can use the DDE functionality i think

Interestingly how do u manage to get the indicator values into excel ??

Paakari:
Hi guys.

That's ok.

For example, if I get tick data out, I can't make any charts out from that file because Excel don't understand those numbers because of that point (.).

Or anybody knows how to make that change in Excel, so it will print out chart to web and updating it every 5sec?

You need enable DDE Server in MT - Options > Server > Enable DDE Server

After open Excel and add for example:

=MT4|HIGH!EURUSD

=MT4|ASK!EURUSD

=MT4|BID!EURUSD

=MT4|LOW!EURUSD

frantacech:
You need enable DDE Server in MT - Options > Server > Enable DDE Server

After open Excel and add for example:

=MT4|HIGH!EURUSD

=MT4|ASK!EURUSD

=MT4|BID!EURUSD

=MT4|LOW!EURUSD

change , to . in control panel windows...

Paakari:
Hi guys.

That's ok.

Are you using the data import wizard to read the values into Excel ?

If you want me to take a look at the file, PM me and I'll give you an email address.

regards

zu

I saw few.

Try to look at the following threads:

Excel:

- Working with Excel (tools, indicators, conversion ...) is here;

- COT Data Excel Sheet is here;

- Save Data To A File thread;

- forex data converters thread and some good converters on this elite section post;

- MULTI FIBO CALCULATOR with DDE off course: original thread.

- FX risk calculator with DDE is here.

Reason: