Best Trading Times

FWIW, I did some analysis on best times to trade by day of the week and by hour. I've attached the graphs. I analyzed all the way back to 2004, but found the data to be similar, and with so many data points more recent behavioral changes in the market would be dampened out. Hence, the focus on 2006. I haven't done more work to look at any seasonality issues.

The net is that for the EURUSD, GBPUSD, and others the average pip change is lowest on Monday and increases each day until Friday.

The numbers are based on High/Low for the given hour (i.e. I measured range). It doesn't say whether it went up or down during the time period. Could probably be another analysis task.

Use in good health.

Hallo 67-, thanks for this survey.

There you can see why 'hans' strategy not always but sometimes may work. Placing stops at H12 may catch 40-50 pips movement of H14-H16.

And best try it Thursday or Friday, that's what your survey suggests, doesn't it?

Regards Martin

---

feb2006:
And best try it Thursday or Friday, that's what your survey suggests, doesn't it?

There consistently appears to be a burst of buying/selling on Fridays from 1300-1600 in London/0800-1000 in NY, and then everyone packs up for the weekend and the market goes flat. Looks like not too long after Friday NY news has settled down.

These same times appears to be the best for Tuesday through Friday, with Monday more of a wandering day.

Hi,

Really nice info.

Thank you so much!

Greetings

nice chart --

2 questions --

1. What colors correspond to which days? -- -aaa now I see the answer to that on one of the charts - -the colors are very light and at first I did not see them.

2. What time zone is this ? -- 1-23 EST or GMT

Thanks

kiwigold:
Greetings

nice chart --

2 questions --

1. What colors correspond to which days? -- -aaa now I see the answer to that on one of the charts - -the colors are very light and at first I did not see them.

2. What time zone is this ? -- 1-23 EST or GMT

Thanks

asked the very questions that I was going to ask!

The data is from Alpari, so it's GMT +2. Don't forget that there are Daylight Savings times that kicked in during May and will go back in September or October.

If you look at the EURUSD you'll see a map from the dataset time to local times. The big moves represent 1300 London/0800 NY & 1500 London/1000 NY.

Hrmm.. how about EURJPY or USDJPY ? Thanks in advance -- I kind of have an idea of how you came up with the data.

drgoodvibe:
Hrmm.. how about EURJPY or USDJPY ? Thanks in advance -- I kind of have an idea of how you came up with the data.

The data is free from the Alpari data bank. Other than that it's just plain-old programming in VB6 to consolidate the data and dump it to Excel. Nothing fancy. Just an interest in data analysis.

I don't trade the EURJPY or USDJPY, but I'll download the data and run it through my program and post the results a little later.

67-17454:
I don't trade the EURJPY or USDJPY, but I'll download the data and run it through my program and post the results a little later.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Eur/jpy & Usd/jpy

Files:
usdjpy_1.gif  17 kb
eurjpy.gif  18 kb
Reason: