How is the size of a trade copied in a signal calculated

Perhaps somebody can help with the following:

I understand that the size of a trade copied from a signal based on the relative size of the signal account and subscriber account, but can anybody advise what would happen in the following case.

Signal account 10000 USD

Subscriber account 900 USD

A trade is place with a size of 0.1 lots in the signal account, the size on the subscriber account a should be 0.009 lots, but this is below the 0.01 lots minimum.

Is no trade place in the subscriber account, or is the lot size rounded off to the nearest 0.01 lots? 

John Heap:

Perhaps somebody can help with the following:

I understand that the size of a trade copied from a signal based on the relative size of the signal account and subscriber account, but can anybody advise what would happen in the following case.

Signal account 10000 USD

Subscriber account 900 USD

A trade is place with a size of 0.1 lots in the signal account, the size on the subscriber account a should be 0.009 lots, but this is below the 0.01 lots minimum.

Is no trade place in the subscriber account, or is the lot size rounded off to the nearest 0.01 lots? 

check this article  https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/523
How to Subscribe to Trading Signals
How to Subscribe to Trading Signals
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
The Signals service introduces social trading with MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. The Service is integrated into the trading platform, and allows anyone to easily copy trades of professional traders. Select any of the thousands of signal providers, subscribe in a few clicks and the provider's trades will be copied on your account.

check this video on min 9:00

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/821

Video tutorial: MetaTrader Signals Service
Video tutorial: MetaTrader Signals Service
  • MetaQuotes Software Corp.
  • www.mql5.com
In just 15 minutes, this video tutorial explains what MetaTrader Signals Service is, and demonstrates in great detail how to subscribe to trade signals and how to become a signal provider in our service. By watching this tutorial, you will be able to subscribe to any trading signal, or publish and promote your own signals in our service.

Mohammed Mounir:
check this article  https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/523
Does not answer my question.

Mohammed Mounir:

check this video on min 9:00

https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/821

Does not answer my question, did you actually read the question?

John Heap:
Does not answer my question, did you actually read the question?

yeah i read it 

you must calculate how much will the size if the signal provider open a trade and there is a leverage

there is no standard numbers even you know the subscriber amount

- leverage

- min size broker open 0.01 or 0.1

- cent or dollar

- strategy of the trader (open lot of trades or just few trades)

- not all brokers trades on all currencies  

I am not sure it will help or not but there is some article with lot size calculation examples - this one

And there is Calculator of the Signals created by moderator of rus part of the forum:

"The most frequent question that subscribers tend to ask is: "Will I be able to subscribe to the NNN signal, and what position volume will be copied to my trading account?". This article will help to create the calculator of signals  — a great assistant for those who wish to subscribe to signals. A brief manual for using the calculator of signals is also provided in this article."

Mohammed Mounir:

yeah i read it 

you must calculate how much will the size if the signal provider open a trade and there is a leverage

there is no standard numbers even you know the subscriber amount

- leverage

- min size broker open 0.01 or 0.1

- cent or dollar

- strategy of the trader (open lot of trades or just few trades)

- not all brokers trades on all currencies  

Sorry, still doesn't answer my question, I asked a very specific question about how the lot size would be rounded or truncated at the end of the calculation, I quotes an example of the signal amount, subscriber amount, same currency, etc.

Assume that leverage is the same, assume that brokers are the same, nothing to do with the strategy of the trader.

------------

What I was looking for was a detailed description of how the lot size calculation is performed for the subscriber, including how figures are rounded, I assume this is done with the MQL5 service

Hi John,

I've already replied about those kind of examples from this part of the article. You can just insert your figutes for leverage/deposit load percentage/balance/currency for subscriber, and leverage/deposit load percentage/balance/currency for signal provider using those examples to receive everything about your case. or use Calculator of Signals instead (see link above).

PS. deposit load percentage is the setting in Metatrader (Tools - Options - Signals) which is predefined by you.

Sergey Golubev:

Hi John,

I've already replied about those kind of examples from this part of the article. You can just insert your figutes for leverage/deposit load percentage/balance/currency for subscriber, and leverage/deposit load percentage/balance/currency for signal provider using those examples to receive everything about your case. or use Calculator of Signals instead (see link above).

PS. deposit load percentage is the setting in Metatrader (Tools - Options - Signals) which is predefined by you.

Sergey,

Thank you for the reply, I have already read the article you reference and found it very helpful.  However, what is not clear is what happens when the calculated volume for the subscriber is less than 0.01 lots?  Is the signal's just not copied or is there a default minimum lot size of 0.01 copied?

So in the examples:

- to Subscriber1 account in amount of 160% -  volume of 1.6 lots

- to Subscriber2 account in amount of 7% -  volume of 0.07 lots

what would be the lot volume for an amount of 0.9%  ?

Regards

John. 

Okay, this seems to answer the question...

https://www.mql5.com/en/blogs/post/23777

see the section under:

Blowing Up Your Account:- The 1% Problem

If the calculated lot size is less than 0.01 then appears to be rounded up to 0.01 by MT, but obviously increases the risk to the subscriber.

Regards

John. 

Simple Steps To Correct Lot Sizes When Subscribing To Signals
Simple Steps To Correct Lot Sizes When Subscribing To Signals
  • Stuart Browne
  • www.mql5.com
IntroductionYou've been searching all over the MQL signals database for a signal that fits your risk/reward appetite and you think you've finally found your holy grail!! The numbers look perfect, 400%...
Reason: