So finally. We do not ex­pect to see any de­vel­op­ments to come out of MT4 ever again - page 5

In my opinion, almost all the people who are complaining about the end of MT4 support is due to one of these reasons:

•     1. If they are programmers or beginners or pseudo-programmers (believe me, I think there are a few in the Freelance section): most of them have a poor programming skills and therefore, they are afraid to upgrade to MT5. Even my grandmother is able to code in old mql4 language, but you have to be a skillful coder to code in mql5 language. Since February 2014, there has been time enough  to redo / renovate / adapt all their old codes, but many people prefered to stay with the same old codes. They didn't adapt to mql5, they didn't learn anything about mql5 language, and, in many cases, also they didn't use new mql4 style.
  •     2. If they are only traders:
  •         2.1 Or they have never tried MT5, and  they don't know about all its features and capabilites, superiors to MT4. For example, there are still people who think hedging in MT5 is not allowed. Or people who don't know that robots can be tested with real ticks in MT5.
  •         2.2 Or they were accustomed to get all kind of tools for MT4 for free (decompiled / stolen codes and tools, in the old mql4 language). There are people who have invested money in tools (EAs, indicators, etc), but there are many more people accustomed to the "all for free" philosophy.
There is no other reason to complain about upgrading to a newer / more powerful / faster and better platform. Currently, MT5 has ALL the features of MT4 and many more that do not exist in MT4. The only exception is not being able to import external historical data.

In my opinion, when all the people are upgraded to MT5, the following things will happen:

•     1. For traders: only advantages. Many more options and capabilities.
  •     2. For skillful programmers: a better programming language with more options, functions and posibilities.
  •     3. For poor skilled coders: they will have to learn mql5 or stay out of the market. Therefore, most of the tools will have a higher quality. It will be great for the traders.

What's the problem???.

It's only my opinion.

Regards.

first of all they should make a mql5 book, because reference is for advanced users, and 0% didactic, in mql4 at least we have that book, so they should make a new

including all the new aspects of programming, including teaching OOP in detail, and then they can force us on mql5 excpecting sucess.  

Jose Francisco Casado Fernandez:
In my opinion, almost all the people who are complaining about the end of MT4 support is due to one of these reasons:

•     1. If they are programmers or beginners or pseudo-programmers (believe me, I think there are a few in the Freelance section): most of them have a poor programming skills and therefore, they are afraid to upgrade to MT5. Even my grandmother is able to code in old mql4 language, but you have to be a skillful coder to code in mql5 language. Since February 2014, there has been time enough  to redo / renovate / adapt all their old codes, but many people prefered to stay with the same old codes. They didn't adapt to mql5, they didn't learn anything about mql5 language, and, in many cases, also they didn't use new mql4 style.
  •         2.1 Or they have never tried MT5, and  they don't know about all its features and capabilites, superiors to MT4. For example, there are still people who think hedging in MT5 is not allowed. Or people who don't know that robots can be tested with real ticks in MT5.
  •         2.2 Or they were accustomed to get all kind of tools for MT4 for free (decompiled / stolen codes and tools, in the old mql4 language). There are people who have invested money in tools (EAs, indicators, etc), but there are many more people accustomed to the "all for free" philosophy.
There is no other reason to complain about upgrading to a newer / more powerful / faster and better platform. Currently, MT5 has ALL the features of MT4 and many more that do not exist in MT4. The only exception is not being able to import external historical data.

In my opinion, when all the people are upgraded to MT5, the following things will happen:

•     2. For skillful programmers: a better programming language with more options, functions and posibilities.
  •     3. For poor skilled coders: they will have to learn mql5 or stay out of the market. Therefore, most of the tools will have a higher quality. It will be great for the traders.

What's the problem???.

It's only my opinion.

Regards.

If you did not spot the main problem, look into the "Market" and "Freelance" section and imagine, how much the traders spent on their indicators/experts. And now tell them about the advantage to move forward to another (but basically still the same) product.

What's the problem???.

It's only my opinion.

Regards.

I'm with you completely. And I hope Metaquotes will support the importing of external historical data for MT5 soon. If that will be done there is absolutely no reason to remain on MT4 I think. Compared with MQL4 the semantics of MQL5 is much cleaner and more logical.

Matthias

Ovo Cz:

If you did not spot the main problem, look into the "Market" and "Freelance" section and imagine, how much the traders spent on their indicators/experts. And now tell them about the advantage to move forward to another (but basically still the same) product.

What I usually see in Freelance section is people who want to code a grid with martingale, smart lot, trailing stop, and many more options, with a budget of 10-40 USD. And people with a poor programming skills who apply for the job, complete it in a few days and many times, customer doesn't realize all the bugs in it, because most of them works fine in backtesting, but the problem is when you want to put it on a live account. I have seen many of these robots and I have felt sorry to see them. You can not code a robot with all the necessary checks in 300 or 500 lines.

In the Market section, I see a lot of downloads and a few purchases,  only if the price is very very lower than the real quality of the product.

Currently I still see many people using or trying to modify free decompiled / stolen indicators and EAs coded in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010......

Therefore, I don't think most of the people have invest much money in it.

By the way,  I don't understand the problem to use CopyHigh instead of iHigh, or CopyLow instead of iLow. Since Frebuary 2014 I don't use iHigh, iLow, RefreshRates, etc, etc in mql4, so it is easier to adapt to mql5.

Regards.

What I usually see in Freelance section is people who want to code a grid with martingale, smart lot, trailing stop, and many more options, with a budget of 10-40 USD. And people with a poor programming skills who apply for the job, complete it in a few days and many times, customer doesn't realize all the bugs in it, because most of them works fine in backtesting, but the problem is when you want to put it on a live account. I have seen many of these robots and I have felt sorry to see them. You can not code a robot with all the necessary checks in 300 or 500 lines.

In the Market section, I see a lot of downloads and a few purchases,  only if the price is very very lower than the real quality of the product.

Currently I still see many people using or trying to modify free decompiled / stolen indicators and EAs coded in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010......

Therefore, I don't think most of the people have invest much money in it.

By the way,  I don't understand the problem to use CopyHigh instead of iHigh, or CopyLow instead of iLow. Since Frebuary 2014 I don't use iHigh, iLow, RefreshRates, etc, etc in mql4, so it is easier to adapt to mql5.

Regards.

OK, it was not my point to judge quality of the local services, but point to the fact, that many traders invested huge amount of money or time into indicators and experts tailored for MT4. Those must be frustrated.

From the coder's view I only care about the schedule of the MT4 phase out, to let the customer know if the investment into MT4 is still reasonable. But we are not receiving this clear information from Metaquotes. We can occasionally find some "statement" elsewhere in the internet or at Proxima Alpha Centauri. Not speaking about how the MQL4 site was suddenly abandoned by all moderators or replaced by the MT5 banner (the proud No.41 in TIOBE's language popularity index).

Ovo Cz:

OK, it was not my point to judge quality of the local services, but point to the fact, that many traders invested huge amount of money or time into indicators and experts tailored for MT4. Those must be frustrated.

I don't think traders have invested a huge amount of money in MT4 tools, but I think they should make "new mql4" tools compatible with MT5 (not old mql4 ones).

Ovo Cz:

From the coder's view I only care about the schedule of the MT4 phase out, to let the customer know if the investment into MT4 is still reasonable. But we are not receiving this clear information from Metaquotes. We can occasionally find some "statement" elsewhere in the internet or at Proxima Alpha Centauri. Not speaking about how the MQL4 site was suddenly abandoned by all moderators or replaced by the MT5 banner (the proud No.41 in TIOBE's language popularity index).

I agree with you. It's not clear. Currently I would not invest much money in MT4 tools. I think it depends on how many people are upgrading to MT5 and how fast they do it and how many people stay using MT4 for a period. I don't think MetaQuotes can answer that now.

Regards.

I see people trying to defend MT5, but it's just a fact that most people still prefer MT4 and there must be a reason for that. MT5 defenders must admit that, otherwise nothing good is going to happen. MQL5 is harder to use, admit that. Even MetaQuotes are aware that something is wrong - " we are a victim of our own success." - and they use the word "victim", which means that they want to escape the reality. But they also tried to face the reality and they did some great upgrades in MT5, like the hedging mode. Unfortunately for MT5, they also upgraded MT4 and it became better as well. The decision to abandon MT4 is probably good, but I don't believe that this is enough to kill it. What they must do in my opinion is:

1) Add those simple to use functions like iClose() and all the others, otherwise MQL5 will not appeal to many people and it will continue struggling. Basically, make MQL5 to be as similar as possible to MQL4. Also fix some weird asynchronous issues that exists.

2) What about MQL4 -> MQL5 converter?

3)  Kill MT4 with force... but if the points above happen, I don't think force will not be needed.

You know, it's so simple:

Most people prefer MT4 => Ask them why => Fix their issues => MT5 becomes the king and everyone is happy 

All this is not about the question "what is better", it is marketing !

Bernhard Schweigert:
All this is not about the question "what is better", it is marketing !
Yes probably. I guess they aim brokers to convince them for renting the MT5.
Reason: