MetaTrader 4 Client Terminal build 610 - page 15

ubzen:

I understand your point and it makes perfect sense.

But then, my question is ... why port so much of mql5_language into mql4?

RaptorUK:
If MQ told you the reason and the end goal maybe you could plan for the future by adjusting what you do now ?

I don't think there is 1 reason. It's multi factorial. MT4 have to be updated to new OS, to new programming standards. .ex4 can now be used for the Market.

For example, mql5 have objects that can be used to create a user interface, it's a weakness of MT4, so they used their hard work on MT5 to improve MT4/mql4.

I am really not sure there is an "hidden" agenda, as RaptorUK seems to think.

Nice brainstorming. My input:

Suppose you have two similar products; one is costly (in terms of development cost) and unsuccessful, the other is cheap and obsolete, and still makes money. For unknown reason the new product cannot beat the obsolete one in popularity in the market. What would be your next logical step?

Logical answer from my point of view is: give users a product with 100% backward compatibility with the successful one, and make some use of the previous costly development. That is what I think is happening now.

Step 2 should be: get rid of the costly burden.

Ovo:

Nice brainstorming. My input:

Suppose you have two similar products; one is costly (in terms of development cost) and unsuccessful, the other is cheap and obsolete, and still makes money. For unknown reason the new product cannot beat the obsolete one in popularity in the market. What would be your next logical step?

I am not sure your prerequisites are exacts. Of course MT5 is not so popular than MT4, and is certainly costly, but unsuccessful ? The idea behind that is that MT5 was developed as a replacement for MT4, exact ? I think there are some good reasons to not think so. My opinion is that MT5 was developed to gain market share on other markets than Forex. Also to attract professional traders and programmers.

Which reasons ? I can't believe that a company who developed a mass products, and gain almost a monopoly on retail Forex platforms, could decide to break compatibility and to change completely the trading system (averaged position vs multiple position), without knowing the implications.

angevoyageur:

I am not sure your prerequisites are exacts. Of course MT5 is not so popular than MT4, and is certainly costly, but unsuccessful ? The idea behind that is that MT5 was developed as a replacement for MT4, exact ? I think there are some good reasons to not think so. My opinion is that MT5 was developed to gain market share on other markets than Forex. Also to attract professional traders and programmers.

Which reasons ? I can't believe that a company who developed a mass products, and gain almost a monopoly on retail Forex platforms, could decide to break compatibility and to change completely the trading system (averaged position vs multiple position), without knowing the implications.

Of course it is only hypothesis. Step 2 could be obtained by a soft means, not by a break. The trading system is different - but in the end it might be the only difference, or even an option of a single product.

Ovo:
Of course it is only hypothesis. Step 2 could be obtained by a soft means, not by a break. The trading system is different - but in the end it might be the only difference, or probably an option of a single product.

Yes, but why they didn't create such a product firstly ? Ok, I don't know really, you can be right or not.

Imagine a pair, a symbol named MT4MT5, current value is high, say 100, we can trade it. I am ready to sell a lot of this symbol, in the hope to keep this position in long term. I am waiting for a quotation of 20/25 in the next years. What do you thing ?

angevoyageur:

Yes, but why they didn't create such a product firstly ? Ok, I don't know really, you can be right or not.

Imagine a pair, a symbol named MT4MT5, current value is high, say 100, we can trade it. I am ready to sell a lot of this symbol, in the hope to keep this position in long term. I am waiting for a quotation of 20/25 in the next years. What do you thing ?

Lol, it is like spread betting. They are not shares they are products - and products appear and disappear as time passes. Perhaps Microsoft or Google comes with super dooper application next week... I do not bet, I trade.

Offlate, I am having loads of problems with this Build 610. It brought my entire setup to the ground. Is someone else also experiencing these issues:

1. WindowScreenShot() syntax is not working for me in build 610. Same setup, same codes which were working in Build 509 is not working any longer. Even a basic code like this is not working.

WindowScreenShot("eurusd.gif",826,421);
Alert(GetLastError());

It does not output a screen shot in the expert\files folder. Whereas this works in Build 509 perfectly.

2. Also, can't we just copy and paste a compiled version of the MQ4 in the experts folder for the platform to pick it up. In build 509 I remember just pasting it in the experts folder and then restarting the platform. Thereafter 'volla' it was there. But with this build unless I create a new EA and paste the entire code using the Platform it does not pick it up.

Please help.

onefineday:

Offlate, I am having loads of problems with this Build 610. It brought my entire setup to the ground. Is someone else also experiencing these issues:

1. WindowScreenShot() syntax is not working for me in build 610. Same setup, same codes which were working in Build 509 is not working any longer. Even a basic code like this is not working.

Alert(GetLastError());

It does not output a screen shot in the expert\files folder. Whereas this works in Build 509 perfectly.

2. Also, can't we just copy and paste a compiled version of the MQ4 in the experts folder for the platform to pick it up. In build 509 I remember just pasting it in the experts folder and then restarting the platform. Thereafter 'volla' it was there. But with this build unless I create a new EA and paste the entire code using the Platform it does not pick it up.

Please help.

Please read a little : New article: Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher

onefineday:

Alert(GetLastError());

It's not meant to . . . the output goes to MQL4/Files/ to find the correct MQL4 folder click File > Open Data Folder from your MT4 terminal.

Yes you can, but you have to put it in MQL4/Experts/ see above for how to find the right MQL4 folder . . .

onefineday:
Alert(GetLastError());
  1. Do NOT call GLE unless windowscreenshot returns an error. What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? - MQL4 forum
  2. What expert\files folder? Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles
Reason: