MetaTrader 4 Build 574 with Updated MQL4 Language and Market of Applications Released - page 19

Could a competent person / insider tell me more about security of ex4 applications? I have only general information, that it is encrypted (by what standard?). Moreover, I would like to learn difference between files from a local compiler and those in the market. It seems to me, that applications delivered through the market - even the free ones - have increased security level. Does that mean, that protection of directly compiled code is weak (though stronger than build 509) without passing it through the market?

I ask because I have been using some additional procedures that were intended to make life for the hackers harder, but I thought I could get rid of them with the new build. Now I am not sure actually.

Sorry guys, I need to install to a pc the meta trader 574...

I follow this step

1. Create a new and clean MT4 installation into a new folder (do not even think of updating your current live installation). You may need to Download MetaTrader 4 Terminal Installer (455 Kb)
  2. Try to login, with server field set to demo.metaquotes.net:444 (with no success)
  3. Apply for a new account, with the demo.metaquotes.net:444 server selected.
  4. Shut down the terminal. Reopen this installation of terminal. Update of beta commences and you'll get the new beta installed.
but when reopen the terminal nothing happen...

Ovo:

Could a competent person / insider [...]

Not a "competent" answer, but nevertheless... It is possible that the market does something like issuing a different ex4 file to each person. For example, there could be a public and private key associated with each mql5.com account, and each ex4 file which you download is encrypted with the private key for your account.

That would make it more difficult to operate a website or service where anyone can upload any EA and have it decrypted. (Provided that MT4 did on-the-fly decryption of EAs each time they were used, rather than a one-off decryption after download, storing the decrypted results on disk.)

Does anybody care that new MT4 terminal (build > 509) takes over 15% of CPU even with all charts/tabs closed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5ocnps4aumm28f/Screenshot%202014-01-26%2021.27.44.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nve4xr7p2pa5k0/Screenshot%202014-01-26%2021.26.45.png

gchrmt4:

Not a "competent" answer, but nevertheless... It is possible that the market does something like issuing a different ex4 file to each person. For example, there could be a public and private key associated with each mql5.com account, and each ex4 file which you download is encrypted with the private key for your account.

That would make it more difficult to operate a website or service where anyone can upload any EA and have it decrypted. (Provided that MT4 did on-the-fly decryption of EAs each time they were used, rather than a one-off decryption after download, storing the decrypted results on disk.)

Thank you. I have already read that the market delivers applications modified for the hardware (I did not yet study the process it installs). In fact it does not imply it appends more security.

Supposing a standard encryption using an asymmetric key is applied, how is the private key hidden? If I have the key, I have the content. This one I do not understand the protection.

Buying ex4 application for a web upload site will probably need some assistance from the provider of the site, but I did not learn the licensing mechanism yet, so it is a guess. MQs will probably cooperate on this issue, supposing income from their market is involved.

I believe, that MQs have many employees, and some of them are disaffected (like elsewhere), so sooner or later the leak may happen.

So if it happens, I want to be sure it is still so complicated, that hijacking will not become easy business again.

Ovo:

Supposing a standard encryption using an asymmetric key is applied, how is the private key hidden? If I have the key, I have the content. This one I do not understand the protection.

Hypothetically:

* You buy EX4 code from the market using a mql5.com account

* Each mql5.com account has a public and private key associated with it (held on the MetaQuotes servers)

* On startup, MT4 talks to the mql5.com servers to get the public key

* It uses that, on the fly, to decrypt any downloaded EAs which came from the market encrypted with the private key

* In other words: the MT4 software knows the public key for your account, but you don't.

* It would be possible to grab the public key, either out of the network data or from the memory of the terminal.exe process, but it wouldn't be easy. It would certainly prevent any user-friendly simple service where you just upload an EA on disk and have it decrypted for $10

mikol:

Sorry guys, I need to install to a pc the meta trader 574...

I follow this step

1. Create a new and clean MT4 installation into a new folder (do not even think of updating your current live installation). You may need to Download MetaTrader 4 Terminal Installer (455 Kb)
  2. Try to login, with server field set to demo.metaquotes.net:444 (with no success)
  3. Apply for a new account, with the demo.metaquotes.net:444 server selected.
  4. Shut down the terminal. Reopen this installation of terminal. Update of beta commences and you'll get the new beta installed.
but when reopen the terminal nothing happen...

Attachment is the server file, put it in config folder, restart the MT4.

rgerasimen:

Does anybody care that new MT4 terminal (build > 509) takes over 15% of CPU even with all charts/tabs closed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5ocnps4aumm28f/Screenshot%202014-01-26%2021.27.44.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nve4xr7p2pa5k0/Screenshot%202014-01-26%2021.26.45.png

this will be a problem for me, my vps are already very busy..

onewithzachy:

Attachment is the server file, put it in config folder, restart the MT4.

IT WORKED!!! THANKS! :-)

gchrmt4:

Hypothetically:

* You buy EX4 code from the market using a mql5.com account

* Each mql5.com account has a public and private key associated with it (held on the MetaQuotes servers)

* On startup, MT4 talks to the mql5.com servers to get the public key

* It uses that, on the fly, to decrypt any downloaded EAs which came from the market encrypted with the private key

* In other words: the MT4 software knows the public key for your account, but you don't.

* It would be possible to grab the public key, either out of the network data or from the memory of the terminal.exe process, but it wouldn't be easy. It would certainly prevent any user-friendly simple service where you just upload an EA on disk and have it decrypted for $10

Well, though hypothesis, I appreciate you found time to create it :)

I hope that some article from MQs will make it a theory one day.

Reason: