Why are 'saved' Profiles NOT saved? - page 2

Hi,

Thanks for all who have contributed to this discussion. However, I still don't have a solution.

It was suggested that I make my saved Profiles read-only (hence preventing them from being overwritten), however all my saved Profiles were already read-only when I checked in their Properties.

I apologise if I am not making myself clear ... I select a saved Profile (read-only) from MT4's File/Profiles folder (lets say it is called 'Trend EURJPY') and so now I am viewing in MT4 that Profile (which happens to be made up of 4 charts). Now I want to look at one chart only in MT4, say USDCHF, so I select USDCHF from the Symbol panel and drag it across to my viewing area. Now I see the USDCHF chart instead of the 'Trend EURJPY' group of charts. Perhaps I alter the look of the USDCHF chart with a different Indicator, say Bollinger Bands.

Next I want to return to view my SAVED 'Trend EURJPY' Profile, so I click File/Profiles and select the 'Trend EURJPY' profile .. HOWEVER the profile that I saved under that name is NO LONGER the Profile I saved - it has changed (been overwritten) by the USDCHF chart I was just looking at.

That's bizarre!

If I am given the option to SAVE something in MT4, I expect to be able to save it without it being overwritten by something else I display.

If that's not the case in MT4 (angeoyageur has said "it's how it works"), then firstly I would like to know why, but secondly I NEED A SUGGESTED WORKAROUND. Thanks.

The workaround is to create another profile, give it a name such as "temp"

When you want to make changes that you don't want to keep, Save profile as "temp" . Obviously, do this before making any changes. Then you can work with this profile and simply load the original profile when you want to and it will be unchanged.

Hi GumRai, your suggested solution has crossed my mind. Thanks.

A clumsy way for MT4 to function, don't you think?

So, every time I depart from a displayed 'saved' Profile, I must click File / Profiles / temp (or whatever I call it) THEN I can drag the Symbol across to my view and apply Indicators and/or Templates.

I guess that's the workaround.

dns098: Thanks for all who have contributed to this discussion. However, I still don't have a solution.

It was suggested that I make my saved Profiles read-only (hence preventing them from being overwritten), however all my saved Profiles were already read-only when I checked in their Properties.

I apologise if I am not making myself clear ... I select a saved Profile (read-only) from MT4's File/Profiles folder (lets say it is called 'Trend EURJPY') and so now I am viewing in MT4 that Profile (which happens to be made up of 4 charts). Now I want to look at one chart only in MT4, say USDCHF, so I select USDCHF from the Symbol panel and drag it across to my viewing area. Now I see the USDCHF chart instead of the 'Trend EURJPY' group of charts. Perhaps I alter the look of the USDCHF chart with a different Indicator, say Bollinger Bands.

Next I want to return to view my SAVED 'Trend EURJPY' Profile, so I click File/Profiles and select the 'Trend EURJPY' profile .. HOWEVER the profile that I saved under that name is NO LONGER the Profile I saved - it has changed (been overwritten) by the USDCHF chart I was just looking at.

That's bizarre!

If I am given the option to SAVE something in MT4, I expect to be able to save it without it being overwritten by something else I display.

If that's not the case in MT4 (angeoyageur has said "it's how it works"), then firstly I would like to know why, but secondly I NEED A SUGGESTED WORKAROUND. Thanks.

I've already provided you with a work-around which I've tested and works. I agree with you're argument about the save thing. However, we're not metaQuotes customer service here and metaQuotes staff usually do-not answer these questions unless you direct your questions to them through the proper channels ... example Contacts.

You need to get into the correct folders. Within the folder with the name of the Profile, there are two files you need to check the Read-Only Box and hit OK/Apply. The names goes something like chart01.chr and order.wnd. Like I said, I've tested it ... if you cannot get it to work ... take your beef up with metaQuotes ... Peace.

dns098:

Hi,

Thanks for all who have contributed to this discussion. However, I still don't have a solution.

It's what I said, profile is saved automatically, your Trend EURJPY is now made of 1 USDCHF chart.

That's bizarre!

I can agree it's weird, but it's how Metaquotes implement it.

The only workaround is to create more profile/template. If you want a profile with 4 charts "Trend EURJPY", once created don't change it. Use the Default profile as working profile.

So for example you are on "Trend EURJPY" profile, and you want to see a chart USDCHF. Then switch to Default profile, open your chart USDCHF (close others charts if needed), if you want more then 1 view for this USDJPY chart, create 1 template for each view. If you want to keep this USDCHF chart as a profile then use "Save as" and name it "USDCHF". After that if you want to work with other chart(s), firstly switch to Default profile, etc....

EDIT: You can switch from profile to profile with Ctrl+F5, and also click in the status bar on the profile name (instead of using File menu->Profiles.

Cool ... thanks everyone!

You have to open Metatrader4 as Administrator in Windows, than it will work

Later I discovered I was wrong, unfortunately

I had the same problem and found a simple solution :)

Simply DO NOT USE these characters when saving a profile name: / \  *  |
so instead of EUR/USD use EUR USD

cheers

Reason: