Transfer MT4 profile in new installation...

I want to transfer my current setup of charts and running indicators/EA in a new installation..A complete new installation of MT4 in a different computer. I have understood that all the chart setup information is saved as "a profile". But I cannot locate where this "profile" configuration/file is...Definitely it's not under the folder "Profiles" in the /program files/MT4 etc... I have checked and I see only the default ones, not mine. I have even copied-pasted the whole directory with all the MT4 files. Experts/indicators etc will be transferred, but not the profile. However in my original installation, the profile is still there every time I open my terminal. Any ideas?

It is in \profiles\default

But how I am doing it ...

1. Old metatrader is open, new Metatrader is closed. No any chart opened in new metatrader.

2. I copy all the indicators from old instance (old) metatrader to new instance (new metatrader), all library files, all include files, all EAs.

3. Open new metatrader. Make sure that everything is fine - you will see indicators and EAs already existing in new metatrader.

4. Close new metatrader.

5. After that I will go/open old Metatrader and create template on every open chart (right click on the chart - Template - Save Template).

I created template files for every chart opened in old metatrader.

6. Copy template files from old metatrader (template files are located on the folder on main directory ( \templates) to new metatrader (to C:\Program Files\MetaTrader - Alpari\templates for example).

7. Open new metatrader, open the charts and use templates.

Thaty's all.

It is what I am using.

I am using this "close new metatrader" and "open new metatrader" in every step I am doing. Just to make sure that new metatrader "understand" my actions.

Automatically backup for MetaTrader 4!

I'd like to automatically backup my MT4 files so that if my VPS goes down, I can run my EAs from another PC. Ideally I'd like to backup everything, including global variables as calculated by my EA (is this possible???). Backing up to my dropbox account would be ideal.

Does anyone know of any software that can periodically backup my MT4 files to dropbox? I did some googling and came across a freeware program called "Karen's Replicator", but it was last updated in 2008 and looks a bit sketchy.

Thanks

bluenicz:
I want to transfer my current setup of charts and running indicators/EA in a new installation..A complete new installation of MT4 in a different computer. I have understood that all the chart setup information is saved as "a profile". But I cannot locate where this "profile" configuration/file is...Definitely it's not under the folder "Profiles" in the /program files/MT4 etc... I have checked and I see only the default ones, not mine. I have even copied-pasted the whole directory with all the MT4 files. Experts/indicators etc will be transferred, but not the profile. However in my original installation, the profile is still there every time I open my terminal. Any ideas?

I have the same question. ANYBODY have some input? My saved profiles are nowhere to be found in my files but they are there when MT4 is open and you select a profile. Problem is now my MT4 has crashed so I installed another instance of MT4 in another area of my C drive. I can transfer all my indicators and some chart setups to the new MT4, but I cannot transfer my profiles from the old Mt4 because I cannot find them. I also have copied / pasted the whole directory. I have scoured the net to find the answer to this question, but no one seems to have the answer. Please help.

Windows 7 User Access Control Prevents C:\Program Files\MetaTrader future changes

If you are using windows 7 or vista, there is microsoft new security features called UAC (User Access Control). In short, nobody can write to C:\Program Files\.. directories anymore. After installation, any customization will be written in shadow directories.

But if you are using "Open Document" call from any program, (i.e. open chart, open profiles, open MS word, open MS excel, etc..etc...) windows 7 or vista will merge view, only merge view, both original and shadow directories... as if... as if... as if.. it's written in C:\Program Files\... directories.

Therefore your Profiles is stored in shadow directory. Not C:\Program Files\... anymore. The only one stored in C:\Program Files\... are preinstalled profiles.

I would like to copy paste from The following but i don't think it's giving credit to the writer. So here is the link.

Solving Profile problems on Vista

I have Windows 7 and figured out how to save the profile so that it shows up in your "Profiles" folder located in your MetaTrader folder.

You need to save your profile while MT4 is running in "Administrator"mode.

Right clickon your MetaTrader 4 icon on your desktop, and then select: "Run as Administrator".

Once it is running in this mode you will notice none of your charts are open if you left some open in the regular mode.

Nor will you see your account numbers if you have not created any accounts in administrator mode etc.

Nor will you see your saved custom profiles, but you should be able to see your custom indicators, custom templates and expert advisors etc.

One you open the set of charts you want to save, then you can create your profile once again and save it etc.

(When I saved the profile with a EA attached to the chart the EA was not on the chart when I moved the profile to a different MT4 even though the EA was in that MT4 too).

When you save a profile when MT4 is in Administrator mode it will save the profile to the Profiles folder so you can locate it later, and then copy and paste it into your new MT4, and then it will show up in your new MT4 in regular mode or in Administrator mode.

If you are looking for "shadow" floder where MT4 stores profiles and other data then you can find it by doing the following:

1) Open "Run" dialog (Win+R keys)

2) enter "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore" there

3) Look up for the MT folder there

Note that your profile data can be stored in the folder other than "default" if you were using custom profile so when you open "profiles" folder check "lastprofile.ini" file and you will see which profile you used there.

FxMaestro:
If you are looking for "shadow" floder where MT4 stores profiles and other data then you can find it by doing the following:

1) Open "Run" dialog (Win+R keys)

2) enter "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore" there

3) Look up for the MT folder there

Note that your profile data can be stored in the folder other than "default" if you were using custom profile so when you open "profiles" folder check "lastprofile.ini" file and you will see which profile you used there.

Thanx man!

hi FxMaestro

Please explain how to make a new profile other than the defaulted one.

Thanks and Regards

choudri7:
hi FxMaestro

Please explain how to make a new profile other than the defaulted one.

Thanks and Regards

Hello

Go to profile manager

Reason: