Short and simple q and a I think. . .

Aloha from Honolulu. I am new to forex, and as for the inner workings of the MT4....outside the gate of understanding how it works. Am happy when I am able to figure out how to add a template to my MT4 installer. That's the level of lack of knowledge. I have an mq4 file I would like to upload and have partially succeeded in doing so. I've gotten it into the EA folder in my MT4 installer - where it seems at home since I see other files with the same endings. I put it there with the FinFx mt4r OFF.

When I go back into FinFx mt4 - I see the new ea indicator. When I attempt to attach it to a chart - either by dragging it or by clicking.... no success. No popup menu appears. Even though the market is closed I can add other EA's or indicators to charts, menus appear.

Please help. Thank you. . .

The indicator in question should be in experts/indicators folder.

Double click the indicator, metaeditor should appear. Another way is to just launch the metaeditor, search the indicatorr folder and double click the indicator in question.

When the file is open, press f5 to compile it. If no errors occur you'll get notified of compilation completion, otherwise of ... well errors.

Go back to metatrader and try to add the indicator again to your chart.

forexCoder:

The indicator in question should be in experts/indicators folder.

Double click the indicator, metaeditor should appear. Another way is to just launch the metaeditor, search the indicatorr folder and double click the indicator in question.

When the file is open, press f5 to compile it. If no errors occur you'll get notified of compilation completion, otherwise of ... well errors.

Go back to metatrader and try to add the indicator again to your chart.

Hello: When I pressed f5, what I got was, without the quotes): "compiling TDI Red Green.mq4... "

"0 error(s)"

"0 warnings"

The action is suspended, it seems.

Greenstar:

Hello: When I pressed f5, what I got was, without the quotes): "compiling TDI Red Green.mq4... "

"0 error(s)"

"0 warnings"

The action is suspended, it seems.

I have it in the following file: quote: C:\program files\Meta Trade 4 Finfx\experts\TDI Red Green.mq4 unquote

No that means that compilation succeded. The thing is that the file is in the wrong directory(folder).

Move it from ...\experts to ...\experts\indicators and rerun the compilation (you need to reopen the file in metaeditor from the \indicators folder). 0 warnings and errors is what you're looking for. If that succeeds jsut drag the indicator to chart.

Greenstar:

I have it in the following file: quote: C:\program files\Meta Trade 4 Finfx\experts\TDI Red Green.mq4 unquote

What i meant to convey about the f5 result I got was: the "compiling" process never ended in a "Complete."

Greenstar:

What i meant to convey about the f5 result I got was: the "compiling" process never ended in a "Complete."

Thanks ! Smile. I did not realize you'd replied! I will go back and reconstruct. . .

Greenstar:

Thanks ! Smile. I did not realize you'd replied! I will go back and reconstruct. . .

It is still not working - I do have it on the FinFx - but the little Icon to the left of the name is.... not "light" does not look like the others which CAN be added to charts . . . I think I made the switch successfully because the name of the folder it is in is... all the above I gave you before except now: "experts\indicators." Is this happening because market is closed?

No. You can add any indicator regardless of what state market is in.

However I do not know what your indicator does. If it's written the way it needs tick data (quite not good for an indicator) then you need to wait 24 more hours. However I highly doubt that.

Did you go to metaeditor, close the currently open indicator file and then went to \indicators\yourIndicator.mq4, double click it, F5? That should clear it up, otherwise check the expert and journal tabs in metatrader, what they say about the indicator when you try to drop it on the chart.

IT should say:

indicatorName Symbol, timeframe: loaded succesfully. Example

myIndicator EURUSD, M1: loaded successfully.

forexCoder:

No. You can add any indicator regardless of what state market is in.

However I do not know what your indicator does. If it's written the way it needs tick data (quite not good for an indicator) then you need to wait 24 more hours. However I highly doubt that.

Did you go to metaeditor, close the currently open indicator file and then went to \indicators\yourIndicator.mq4, double click it, F5? That should clear it up, otherwise check the expert and journal tabs in metatrader, what they say about the indicator.

IT should say:

indicatorName Symbol, timeframe: loaded succesfully. Example

myIndicator EURUSD, M1: loaded successfully.

Nothing mentioned in journal and experts areas: except the successful login today and the successful uploading of a particular custom indicator which I pretty much use all the time. Maybe I did not close currently opened windows. I thought I did, but that does not carry water. The indicator I am referring to I found on a thread at forexfactory on approximately page 2: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=291622&page=2

If I did not close all windows, what woudl that mean. I think that the indicator is in the correct file. IN any case I will look for it and try the f5 process again. I am using this indicator because the original indicator mentioned at the bottom of the Original Post of this popular thread, only turns up as a line, when you upload it. Someone else wrote in to say that, so the originator of the thread added the Red Green (on page 2 somewhere) and while he did not clearly state that should help the "line only " situation - I am assuming it will help - that's the background of this situation.

Greenstar:

Nothing mentioned in journal and experts areas: except the successful login today and the successful uploading of a particular custom indicator which I pretty much use all the time. Maybe I did not close currently opened windows. I thought I did, but that does not carry water. The indicator I am referring to I found on a thread at forexfactory on approximately page 2: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=291622&page=2

If I did not close all windows, what woudl that mean. I think that the indicator is in the correct file. IN any case I will look for it and try the f5 process again. I am using this indicator because the original indicator mentioned at the bottom of the Original Post of this popular thread, only turns up as a line, when you upload it. Someone else wrote in to say that, so the originator of the thread added the Red Green (on page 2 somewhere) and while he did not clearly state that should help the "line only " situation - I am assuming it will help - that's the background of this situation.

I see a MetaEditor compiled HTML, a Metaeditor Application. That is in the same area as where the Experts file is. When I go into the Experts file and click on view - I see the Red Green with an .ex4 tag. It has a white sheet of paper next to it instead of a yellow triangle with an "!" inside it.
Reason: