MetaTrader 4 may no longer be available?

There has been some discussion out there of how long MetaTrader 4 will continue to be offered by brokers.

The problem with this is MT5 doesn't support hedge positions, which really sucks if your using an EA that uses Hedge positions.

So I would like your thoughts on this. How long do you think MetaTrader 4 will be offered by brokers? And why doesn't MT5 support some features

like someone posted this message on this forum

" MQL4 applications will not be compatible because of the way MT5 handles orders (you can only add to or remove from a position with MT5, you cannot create multiple orders on any single pair"

So ya how long do we have with MT4 until it's stopped being offered by most brokers, and why does MT5 have some limitions as mentioned above? This will mean some strategies may no longer work :/ Why?!? are they dong this!!

Omg. Internally I couldn't wait for this topic to come up again. I've been giving this some taught for some time now. As for the life of mt4 I'm not too worried. As for hedging, ah-ha!, this is what I wanna talk about. Tho I'm in favor of having all options available to me. I've found myself going back and forth in support and opposition as to why the NFA ban hedging in the US. There's already a lengthy and controversial post on this forum about mt4 vs mt5 vs hedge. I'm sure someone would post it within this thread before long. However in the meantime, I wanna post this question, why in the world would someone wanna hedge the same currency on the same account?

In my opinion the MT4 lifecycle is far from its end.

ubzen:
why in the world would someone wanna hedge the same currency on the same account?

different strategys on the same account and symbol.

I have not done the calculations but the results without hedging should be the same as with. Only not that smooth.

zzuegg:

different strategys on the same account and symbol.

I have not done the calculations but the results without hedging should be the same as with. Only not that smooth.

Ah yes, I forgot about that duh lol. But like your second statement shows, it's really a matter of doing the calculations. Put another way it's a matter of being a lazy programmer. So some poor soul's excuse is, I have EA-1 and EA-2 running on AUDUSD. One might wanna sell and the other might wanna buy.

In mt5 you'll need to cancel out the hedged positions and place yourself on the side of whats left over. If it's a perfect hedge, then you have no net position and would be safer being out of the market..............correct?

Imo they should be somewhat worse with hedging... how do you account for lost spread?

forexCoder:
Imo they should be somewhat worse with hedging... how do you account for lost spread?

Not to mention the Swaps. I'm just asking because Hedging have a die-hard following. I wanna know what's the strategy that they're using which cannot be accomplished with non-hedging. After banging my head against the wall with that Grid-Hedge system for weeks trying to lower the draw-down, I came to the conclusion ... no-way. This might be the secret formula I need to turn my grail into the Holy-Grail ;). So please hedgers come forward and tell me. Please..eeeeeeeeeee!!!

@forexCoder, should be equally. It doesn't matter if you

a) open a buy, then a sell and use OrderCloseBy()

b) open a buy, then use OrderClose()

On brokers with variable spread, you might be able to squeeze out a bit more with option 'a' since you can wait without risk until a very tight spread is available. Of course you have to close it in the current day to avoid swap, and on broker with commission it is again a whole other story.

@ubzen, no, in mt5 this is done automatically, in mt4 you need to close the positions by yourself. MT5 shows only the net position. 1Lot buy, and 1.1 Lot sell will result in 0.1Lot sell. The problem most of the traders have here i think is that you have to realize losses before you can start trading in the other direction. This might let some strategy's not look anymore that good.

@zzuegg - yeah, thats what I meant. Tho I cannot install mt5. Lets be clear here, in your example, it'll close out (cancel out) the 1-lot and put you in the net position of the difference. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Hedgers somehow think they have the magical powerssss to ride it down close at profit ... and then ride it up again. If that's not the case then why do they complain so much about mt5. When IMO they should be acting more (mt5-like) in mt4.

" MQL4 applications will not be compatible because of the way MT5 handles orders (you can only add to or remove from a position with MT5, you cannot create multiple orders on any single pair"

Wtf. Ok this one I may have a problem with depending. Does it add the new position at the old price.... lol ... I think I just answered my own question in my head. Heck-No, ain't no way it'll do that. That would create the biggest Arbitrage for Dummies ever. So I'm not worried about that ... doesn't hurt my system.

Nah MQL5 is cool. Tbh it will confuse hedging followers a lot less. Maybe that's exactly why brokers don't want to endorse it so fast... Plus the MT5 client still has a few bugs in their charts, some uncontrollable jumping when the chart is being loaded :P
Reason: