MQL4: Security of source code for started expert advisor under Meta Trader 4 platform - question - page 3

Your arguments are making a lot of sense now. They certainly beats the Flying Forex Trojan! :))

cameofx:
What about broker having a bridge capable of wiping out indicators / EA (not steal) or send trojan to mess-up trades?

I understand what you're meaning...

You mean maybe the brokers can bind monitoring tools and virus with their custom version of MT4?

As I know, brokers can only bind [1.) their custom icon 2.) the *.srv files in /config locating their IPs of their servers] with the default MT client package, so the brokers actually cannot do such dirty thing by default.

Of course, you can doubt one can make a shell binding both a virus and the unknown MT4, but that would be an illegal distribution of MT4, and it's another story and surely not fault of Metaquotes.

It's 2010 now, please throw away all concepts like evil Russian or such...

A broker would have to be stupid to do such things, if he was ever to get caught the lawsuits could be potentially astronomical, and it would not be so difficult to catch them, a bridge to monitor the incomming and outgoing traffic from mt4 would not be that difficult for someone with the neccessary programming skills.

Deciphering the mt4 client/server protocol might not be so easy but unusual activity should be faily easy to spot.

ppc123:

I understand what you're meaning...

You mean maybe the brokers can bind monitoring tools and virus with their custom version of MT4?

As I know, brokers can only bind [1.) their custom icon 2.) the *.srv files in /config locating their IPs of their servers] with the default MT client package, so the brokers actually cannot do such dirty thing by default.

Of course, you can doubt one can make a shell binding both a virus and the unknown MT4, but that would be an illegal distribution of MT4, and it's another story and surely not fault of Metaquotes.

It's 2010 now, please throw away all concepts like evil Russian or such...

I never state or implied anything like that. You're stretching. Read all my posts none even insinuate Metaquotes in any way. I'm only talking about a broker which is nowhere near Russia and a possibility of their using a third party program . I repeat: I'm not questioning anyone but this broker.

Since you brought up IP, what about using the LAN network, he was at one time trading demo using the company's LAN when that happened. Could that have been a possibility? This (indicator's disappearing) was no isolated incidence. So I'm still dumbfounded to this day. 

The discussion about brokers is useless.

What about random slow scanning for 443 port worldwide ?

By the way, for a long time I watched the open port 22 on my IPs, even when I changed equipment and computer systems, my internet provider spread his arms.

Ais:

The discussion about brokers is useless.

What about random slow scanning for 443 port worldwide ?

By the way, for a long time I watched the open port 22 on my IPs, even when I changed equipment and computer systems, my internet provider spread his arms.

I'm just letting myself get carried a bit Ais, hehe... No offense intended. 

I'm not good at networking, so no clue... 

No problems, hehe...

Just discussion about brokers breaks the rules of the forum.

http://www.grc.com/ -> ShieldsUP! <- not a panacea, of course, but ...

And so on ...

This problem is simpler than we have looked at it.  Question (1) Is your EA worth stealing?

Answer A - NO.  If so, don't worry - broker will not steal it.

Answer B - YES.  If so, all you have to do is find a way to link two laptops.  Generate signals from the laptop that has your ea and trade from a second laptop that does not contain your EA.

So the Laptop that contains your EA generates signals but because it does not trade, is not a target to broker.  The second laptop that trades does not have your ea on it.  End of story. 

345678:

This problem is simpler than we have looked at it.  Question (1) Is your EA worth stealing?

Answer A - NO.  If so, don't worry - broker will not steal it.

Answer B - YES.  If so, all you have to do is find a way to link two laptops.  Generate signals from the laptop that has your ea and trade from a second laptop that does not contain your EA.

So the Laptop that contains your EA generates signals but because it does not trade, is not a target to broker.  The second laptop that trades does not have your ea on it.  End of story. 

For instance, Laptop A can send email to laptop B (signals).  Laptop A has your Goldmine EA, Laptop B (which can be 100 miles away) trades with the signals from A.  Of course this strategy is not for furious scalping or anything like that but should work for intra-day  trading where you take one, two or at most three signals a day, with a weekly pip-count in view.

345678:

For instance, Laptop A can send email to laptop B (signals).  Laptop A has your Goldmine EA, Laptop B (which can be 100 miles away) trades with the signals from A.  Of course this strategy is not for furious scalping or anything like that but should work for intra-day  trading where you take one, two or at most three signals a day, with a weekly pip-count in view.
This is precisely what you do when you subscribe to signals.  Brokers have not necessarily 'stolen' the EAs of good signal generators - have they?
Reason: