MT4 server IP address?

I know SRV files in the config folder are supposed to hold a broker's server details. Can I extract the server's IP address from that?

What I'd like to do is ping the IP for latency checks. Problem is some of the brokers I'm checking out now don't have this info on their website and I'm getting nowhere with emails (seems like the people who answer emails are into sales and have no idea what I am talking about).

So can it be done? Or perhaps the IP address can be seen somewhere else in the Terminal?

You can see the ping latency of each server when you click on the Open an Account option, without having to actually open one.

gordon wrote >>

I know SRV files in the config folder are supposed to hold a broker's server details. Can I extract the server's IP address from that?

What I'd like to do is ping the IP for latency checks. Problem is some of the brokers I'm checking out now don't have this info on their website and I'm getting nowhere with emails (seems like the people who answer emails are into sales and have no idea what I am talking about).

So can it be done? Or perhaps the IP address can be seen somewhere else in the Terminal?

This would be an excellent addition to an EA and to be able to write results to a file for longer term evaluation.

Latency can make or break EA results, as can quality of fills. Neither will show up in backtesting or, for that matter, forward testing on Demo :)

Use the "Netstat" command from the Windows command line interface. CB

blogzr3:
You can see the ping latency of each server when you click on the Open an Account option, without having to actually open one.

Yeah, but only for those brokers which allow the "Open an account" to work... Many don't (u just can't get beyond the first screen, the 'Next' button is always in an unpressable state). Those are the ones I'm having trouble with.

MerlinBrasil:

This would be an excellent addition to an EA and to be able to write results to a file for longer term evaluation.

Latency can make or break EA results, as can quality of fills. Neither will show up in backtesting or, for that matter, forward testing on Demo :)

Personally I use a simple pinging tool to ping broker servers every 1 minute or so to have a simple log of connectivity. It's good enough for my needs. (I use a small freeware called Multi Ping: http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/multi_ping.html).

cloudbreaker:
Use the "Netstat" command from the Windows command line interface. CB

That works. Thanks.

phy:

To see IP addresses, use a tool:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

To truly test latency of the command/response time of the server (ping doesn't do that), use my tool:

This is a script, add it to /experts/scripts folder.

It opens a pending BUY order, modifies it 20 times, deletes it then reports the results as an Alert.

The first command takes longer, it is necessary to set up the connection to the trade server.

If the test is repeated within 30 seconds, the first command does not require a new connection setup.

I agree that ping would only give u latency in the sense of the server replying to a ping, which would usually be much faster than the server's reply to an actual trading operation. I am not sure that a pending order is the way to go though, I would imagine that a 'close' order would be the slowest, since the broker has to actually fill it, hence that would be a more accurate figure. Of course nobody would be crazy enough to try that unless he is actually trading. My own EA's have a milli-second counter from the point just before sending a open/close order request to the time the reply comes back. This is logged to file... Of course, accuracy is limited by hardware, but it's good enough.

I imagine also that whereas simple ping latency won't change during news times, a server's response to an actual trading request would change dramatically. Then again, simple ping latency would be affected by general internet traffic. Oh, well.

As long as we are on the subject of pinging - what would u say is acceptable latency to a server? Currently I have <5ms to one server, but about ~80ms to another broker (I am talking about ping only...).

Thanks for the link. works great.

gordon:

I found this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ for get the ip details... It's provides whois information of an ip address or domain name....

gordon:

I agree that ping would only give u latency in the sense of the server replying to a ping, which would usually be much faster than the server's reply to an actual trading operation. I am not sure that a pending order is the way to go though, I would imagine that a 'close' order would be the slowest, since the broker has to actually fill it, hence that would be a more accurate figure. Of course nobody would be crazy enough to try that unless he is actually trading. My own EA's have a milli-second counter from the point just before sending a open/close order request to the time the reply comes back. This is logged to file... Of course, accuracy is limited by hardware, but it's good enough.

I imagine also that whereas simple ping latency won't change during news times, a server's response to an actual trading request would change dramatically. Then again, simple ping latency would be affected by general internet traffic. Oh, well.

As long as we are on the subject of pinging - what would u say is acceptable latency to a server? Currently I have <5ms to one server, but about ~80ms to another broker (I am talking about ping only...).

Thanks for the link. works great.

Hi Gordon,

Could you help me finding, or share the link to your latency script refered here?

Would appreciate that.

Kind Regards,

P

If all the above isn't enough, use a sniffer:

http://www.wireshark.org/

See every packet with analysis available.

MT4 creates one connection for the feed, which remains open

MT4 creates a temporary connection for trade commands, which times out after 30 seconds idle.

Reason: