EX4 File with no smile... Live account only? - page 2

Why don't you just tell me if you have the answer? Why are you giving me a hard time?

S

<The answer> would be quite lengthy and would no doubt (at this stage) simply raise more questions

Hence the suggestion to hit the books...

As for giving you a hard time, well, this is not a social site and Forex is a hard and merciless business

-BB-

BarrowBoy:

S

<The answer> would be quite lengthy and would no doubt (at this stage) simply raise more questions

Hence the suggestion to hit the books...

As for giving you a hard time, well, this is not a social site and Forex is a hard and merciless business

-BB-

I think I understand what your saying.

Are you guys getting paid to be moderator? From what I read on the Meta Trader 4 website, it closed down it's own help forum on that domain and placed a link to here so that the beginner could get help. If this is not a "social site", in which I can get help, then what exactly is it? Is there another forum I can go to get help from?

I would not be asking so much questions if I got straight answers in the first place. All I want is to see my purchased product in action...

Would I be violating any rules if I attached EX4 files that I purchased from another user on here? Maybe someone could take a look at the files and show me what I am doing wrong.

By the way, is there a Jim Philips in this forum?

> Are you guys getting paid to be moderator?

No!

> If this is not a "social site", in which I can get help, then what exactly is it?

An MQL4 coders forum

> Is there another forum I can go to get help from?

Many - see http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fapt+settings+user+forum

> All I want is to see my purchased product in action...

Talk to the vendor

> Would I be violating any rules if I attached EX4 files that I purchased from another user on here?

Yes

shedmond:

I am sure someone here has already produced this rather simple ratcheting program. I am only using that as an example of how a robot should work indefinitely. If someone could enlighten me as to why this does not work, I would appreciate it.

BTW, is there a tutorial somewhere I can use to learn how to program an EA?

The issue you want to keep an eye on with even that simple kind of ratcheting buy/sell EA is Drawdown! It's the same problem most of the basic grid trading robots run into if you go in all gung-ho without doing your homework on drawdown vs your grid parameters. I personally just ran up an excel spreadsheet to calculate maximum potential drawdown on my grid robot. 

I've been a trader for 10 yrs, the last 6 yrs purely FX and I work for a big Aussie bank, so i can tell you do NOT get hung up on indicators; we use minimal indicators(I have only max 2 on my charts at any one time; one momentum indicator & one OB/OS oscillator!) in our department because of their lagging nature - Support & Resistance is what the big boys focus on(Prior Highs/Lows & Fib levels, and to a lesser extent Pivots! The flows coming in from major clients are dealt with in "bands" of converging S&R levels. Indicators you want to keep a more general view of vs are they OB or OS and whether they are showing neg or pos divergence, just for a "feel" of where things are at; whether for example RSI is reading 69 vs 81 is just not a major decision point in the trade if you see what i mean! This is one reason why you will see indicators blow out so OB/OS because the indicator value is minimum importance if there are large client flows needing to be fed into the market and the next major S & R level is far enough away!

With that in mind, you probably gathered that I'm not that worried about my grid robot being 100% dynamically automated, which it isn't, HOWEVER it runs VERY wide grids on long timeframes and it dynamically hedges, so although as a trader i enjoy reviewing the technicals and fundamentals (yes they matter IMHO!) and I move or adjust my grid parameters when necessary, i rarely need to! ;) Every so often i think of developing my grid robot to be fully 100% dynamically automated but then you're into that Black Box area, and IMHO all Black Box systems have a break/failure point - (i've been there!), whether it be a Black Swan event or a particular set of market conditions or whatever. Besides i love doing the technical analysis and fundamental research - i'm one of those sad traders that just loves being a student of the market LOL!

The other advice I would offer is to be choosy what currency pair you run you EA on at any one time, the facts are that no two currency pairs behave EXACTLY the same! Some might disagree here and say that an EA should work on anything but its just the way i approach trading: "what am I trying to accomplish and what currency pair suits that need AT THIS TIME etc etc" - MOST importantly make sure whatever you do it works for your personality - you don't want an EA running on a Live acct that is always stressin you out! There's always more than one way to approach things, this is my way and others have their way; just find what best suits who you are - it'll be more fun that way!!!

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth! I wish you every success! 

Be careful out there!!!!!

:) 

Reason: