How determine Broker data source ?

The simple answer is to ask... I have and my enquiries get 'lost'

So I come here where the pro's are ;)

In a nutshell, I do not wish to mix history data from more than one source...

Would like to use terminals history center's download button. A 'Download Warning' msg states:

As I understand it, Alpari UK could be serving Interbank data OR data from other intermediary sources.

By adding to current live a/c history data via using download function, differences could arise in quote times and prices.

A mixture of both datas that give an inconsistent history picture would hamper code that evaluates historical data as part of it's trade decision design.

edit: I think/have heard MT's data via download center is Interbank sourced

Can anyone offer advice or knowledge on this?

Thanks

All history download from MT4 are coming from "MetaQuotes". They will be add with your actual data coming from your broker Alpari.

They will be add with your actual data coming from your broker Alpari.

It is a little worse, the metaquotes data will actually overwrite and completely eliminate the alpari historical data you have accumulated up to that point.

Good luck doing anything productive with the MQ's data...it has only done me more harm than good. YMMV

1005phillip:

It is a little worse, the metaquotes data will actually overwrite and completely eliminate the alpari historical data you have accumulated up to that point.

Good luck doing anything productive with the MQ's data...it has only done me more harm than good. YMMV

if Alpari UK uses same data source, would guess is no problem as even if gets over layed with MQ data.

OK, seems a grey area. Perhaps forces rethink at basic levels.

Guess can research out by a few MT installs (wiping out all data files on both and not logging in on one of them so can be sure only has MQ data) and one using only data from Alpari UK...

Then do the comparison (by program or manual)

I can't disagree with your logic construct, the if/then table is correct.

However in my experience, and I have screwed around A LOT with the MT data, it is not identical to any broker's data out there. It is very much their "own" price feed being stored on that server.

Their lack of transparency as to where the data originates should be your first red-flag regarding its worth and utility...

I have used bits and peices of it to patch up holes and periods of missing data, but you really have to think about what it is you are trying to accomplish with backtesting on historical data before doing that kind of stuff.

ya, thanks phillip - is ongoing issue from what you say and for sure this is not my area at all.

Is more about live running and constant scanning of past data to influence the now decisions.

I reckon is time I sat down, earthed self and re-invent what want to do... without the damn pc on.

Let the grey cells go walk -a bout and see where we land!

Vkind of you to post answers - is good home here :)

tbh - I actually always meander back to S/R and pullbacks etc. NO indys... just S/R and some tried and tested [by many] observations about what's going to happen each new tick...

Perhaps a spell of manual trading is good place to get back on track. Clean sheet, nothing but S/R and the pips made will be sweet indeed!

Cheers!

Reason: